Univ System of GA putting GA schools (and GT) at disadvantage

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
At most schools, if you have two students with roughly the same qualifications, but one is a legacy and the other is not, the school awards alumni loyalty by accepting the legacy. Tech is the opposite. At Tech, if you have two students with roughly the same qualifications, but one is a legacy and the other is not, the school accepts the non-legacy student. They try to mollify the alumni by saying "Well, we will take that student after a year at another college" It's not really the same, though and the admissions officers know it. The percentage of students who are in good standing at their existing university and choose to transfer is very low, so the admissions office has succeeded in breaking family legacies and traditions while appearing to save face.
I guess you can chalk this up to another way Tech gives the Shaft to it's students.
Show me ANY demonstrative proof that this is happening. I don't believe it for a second.

Deleted member 2897

You'd have to show me more than anecdotal evidence that Legacies are being passed over for equivalent non-legacies. Just because someone says so, doesn't make it so.

There was an entire thread on it where people posted their kids numbers. Yes that’s anecdotal evidence. But IIWII. I doubt anybody can get access to the full data set.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There was an entire thread on it where people posted their kids numbers. Yes that’s anecdotal evidence. But IIWII. I doubt anybody can get access to the full data set.
I agree that the numbers will never see the light of day. I vehemently disagree with your proposition that Tech shuns legacies for non-legacies with the same scores. We're all biased towards our own progeny.

Of course, it's Tech's fault they didn't accept my son with a 35 ACT (36 in Writing, History, Science; 35 in Math and Reading) even though he futzed around and had a mediocre GPA in his High Honors classes at one of the most prestigious high schools on the North Shore of Chicago. They should take that into consideration and admit him anyway!

Deleted member 2897

I agree that the numbers will never see the light of day. I vehemently disagree with your proposition that Tech shuns legacies for non-legacies with the same scores. We're all biased towards our own progeny.

Of course, it's Tech's fault they didn't accept my son with a 35 ACT (36 in Writing, History, Science; 35 in Math and Reading) even though he futzed around and had a mediocre GPA in his High Honors classes at one of the most prestigious high schools on the North Shore of Chicago. They should take that into consideration and admit him anyway!

I didn’t assert that. All I said is that if you have a legacy who has above GT average SAT and grades, they should be accepted. I never said someone with a sub par resume should be accepted.

Deleted member 2897

Yeah, until you have data, don't speculate. Especially when you're painting my alma mater in a negative light. You come across...poorly.

I’m not ****ing speculating. Go look up the thread where we had tons of people on this board post the data behind their kids who did not get accepted. It’s my alma mater too. Go read the thread first and stop falsely accusing people without data to back yourself up.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I’m not ****ing speculating. Go look up the thread where we had tons of people on this board post the data behind their kids who did not get accepted. It’s my alma mater too. Go read the thread first and stop falsely accusing people without data to back yourself up.
This is one time I agree with @forensicbuzz (in fact, it maybe the very first time EVER...LOL). Having been somewhat involved in the recruiting process, both for GT and an Ivy League school, I think it is speculation and supported only by anecdotal stories that GT discriminates against legacy students. Most Admission offices go to great lengths to be blind to certain factors if they can, and that is often one of them. I do NOT believe that GT favors non legacy students in the application process.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is one time I agree with @forensicbuzz (in fact, it maybe the very first time EVER...LOL). Having been somewhat involved in the recruiting process, both for GT and an Ivy League school, I think it is speculation and supported only by anecdotal stories that GT discriminates against legacy students. Most Admission offices go to great lengths to be blind to certain factors if they can, and that is often one of them. I do NOT believe that GT favors non legacy students in the application process.
What?!!! You can't be wrong that often! ;)

Deleted member 2897

Again, I’m not saying Georgia Tech discriminates against legacy students. I don’t know what I’ve said to lead you all to keep saying that. I know if you look at the bell curve of students applying and admitted there is a huge gray area of grades, SAT scores, extracurricular activities, volume of AP classes taken. All I’m saying is that my belief is when someone is above average against GT metrics, the subjective part of being a legacy should win out unless there is some glaring issue.

I highly doubt people were on here lying about how their kids had above GT average grades and scores and didn’t get in. And I highly doubt they were criminals or had some glaring negative issue. Highly rated non-legacy kids don’t get in too.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
GT should be at least triple in undergrad size for engineering, STEM, and business. I’m all for the research and grad school being great as well, but we are a state school and our state and country needs orders of magnitude more grads with those credentials. We are a big state.

We should learn from this pandemic how to increase capacity dramatically using a combination of physical and remote learning to make this happen immediately. We need VISION like an entrepreneur.

Deleted member 2897

GT should be at least triple in undergrad size for engineering, STEM, and business. I’m all for the research and grad school being great as well, but we are a state school and our state and country needs orders of magnitude more grads with those credentials. We are a big state.

We should learn from this pandemic how to increase capacity dramatically using a combination of physical and remote learning to make this happen immediately. We need VISION like an entrepreneur.

Yep. Regardless of if they are a legacy or not, a public state school turning away elite applicants just seems weird really.