Uniforms and CTE

I don't know if this is fact or not, but football guru Chris Landry just said on the radio that because safer helmets are so expensive, teams like Oregon that have eight or ten uniform combinations, only have one "best helmet" for each player. So when they switch to another ensemble that calls for a different helmet, the team is playing with cheaper, inferior, not as safe helmets. He was also saying that college players, because they lack the clout of a NFLPA are more at risk and will remain at risk. Is it likely that a school would ask the players to play in a less safe helmet, if a safer helmet was available? He was quick to point out that it is all relative, as there is not a really safe helmet yet, but there are better ones.

northgajacket

Banned
I don't know if this is fact or not, but football guru Chris Landry just said on the radio that because safer helmets are so expensive, teams like Oregon that have eight or ten uniform combinations, only have one "best helmet" for each player. So when they switch to another ensemble that calls for a different helmet, the team is playing with cheaper, inferior, not as safe helmets. He was also saying that college players, because they lack the clout of a NFLPA are more at risk and will remain at risk. Is it likely that a school would ask the players to play in a less safe helmet, if a safer helmet was available? He was quick to point out that it is all relative, as there is not a really safe helmet yet, but there are better ones.

Sadly it would not surprise me if this was true.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

It's kind of hard to imagine Nike outfitting Oregon in anything but the best of the best gear. I'm inclined to call shenanigans on that, at least relating to Oregon. Maybe other schools with multiple helmets might try that, though, it doesn't seem too far fetched.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
It's kind of hard to imagine Nike outfitting Oregon in anything but the best of the best gear. I'm inclined to call shenanigans on that, at least relating to Oregon. Maybe other schools with multiple helmets might try that, though, it doesn't seem too far fetched.
It's not that they're cheaper shells. They use the same helmets for every player (based on the players choice)

The thing is helmets are kind of like shoes in the sense that they need to be "worn in" a bit. The new helmet a week does not allow for the "wearing in" of the helmet to your head which means it provides less protection. I'll have to find the in depth article I read on this a year or so ago.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I would have to look askance at this, especially as regards oregone.

But if this were true I can not imagine some politico not screaming bloody heck by now, but who knows?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Most players wear the same size and model helmet no matter the paint job. 2 of the same helmets with different paint job isn't a risk. Here's an example :
1-Justin Thomas 10c.jpg 12391157.jpeg
All players wear the same helmets regardless of paint unless they choose to change. JT is wearing the exact same model helmet in both pics but one is painted differently.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Most players wear the same size and model helmet no matter the paint job. 2 of the same helmets with different paint job isn't a risk. Here's an example :
View attachment 2632 View attachment 2633
All players wear the same helmets regardless of paint unless they choose to change. JT is wearing the exact same model helmet in both pics but one is painted differently.

Correct. Ima go out on strong limb and say that the Oregon report is not true

View attachment 2632 View attachment 2633
For example, are our "honeycomb" helmets, our throwback helmets, and our gold helmets all the same helmet, with different paint? Or are they different helmets? The radio personality stated flatly that at most schools with multiple uniform combinations, the helmets are different helmets. That is what he said, I can't vouch for the veracity.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
For example, are our "honeycomb" helmets, our throwback helmets, and our gold helmets all the same helmet, with different paint? Or are they different helmets? The radio personality stated flatly that at most schools with multiple uniform combinations, the helmets are different helmets. That is what he said, I can't vouch for the veracity.
Different helmets with different paint, but same model and design. Look at it this way, you buy 2 pairs of Jordan 12s same size but one are the Taxis, and one are the Flu Games. Same fit/protection different shoe.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Different helmets with different paint, but same model and design. Look at it this way, you buy 2 pairs of Jordan 12s same size but one are the Taxis, and one are the Flu Games. Same fit/protection different shoe.

Thats interesting, so all our players and all the different designs on the helmets are all the same type/model of helmet? I could swear I've seen guys on our team wear different types/models? Each type has an individual rating as well, so surely they all aren't the same protection?

Its an interesting topic and one I've never really thought about...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Thats interesting, so all our players and all the different designs on the helmets are all the same type/model of helmet? I could swear I've seen guys on our team wear different types/models? Each type has an individual rating as well, so surely they all aren't the same protection?

Its an interesting topic and one I've never really thought about...
Each player chooses which helmet they want.They are not all the same. That's not the issue, the issue that was said on radio is that when a team switches helmets they player wears a helmet that isn't as good which is false. The individual player is wearing the same model, new helmet different paint.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Each player chooses which helmet they want.They are not all the same. That's not the issue, the issue that was said on radio is that when a team switches helmets they player wears a helmet that isn't as good which is false. The individual player is wearing the same model, new helmet different paint.

This. My nephew is a walk-on at Duke. He has 3 helmets...all the same style but different colors.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow

Helmets protect the skull from fractures but do little for concussions, since it's a question of sudden deceleration, not blunt trauma. The type of internal padding can help some, but it only goes so far.

Mario Lemieux has been working with Bauer to produce a hockey helmet that can reduce deceleration times from essentially zero to a few microseconds. The foam inside elite-level hockey helmets is typically form-fitted to the player's head; in addition to the foam, this new helmet has a somewhat softer external shell that bends and "gives" upon impact to help with deceleration. But in all but the rarest cases, hockey helmets are not used as weapons like football helmets, so I don't know how the technology could be applied to football. Offensive tackle Steve Wallace of the 49ers (who played during the championship runs with Montana and Young) wore a big foam cap around the outside of his helmet in the latter part of his career. It was funny-looking, painted gold just like everyone else's helmet, but it made him look completely different from everyone else on the line. He must have had some concussion problems then to have tried that...

northgajacket

Banned
Helmets protect the skull from fractures but do little for concussions, since it's a question of sudden deceleration, not blunt trauma. The type of internal padding can help some, but it only goes so far.

Mario Lemieux has been working with Bauer to produce a hockey helmet that can reduce deceleration times from essentially zero to a few microseconds. The foam inside elite-level hockey helmets is typically form-fitted to the player's head; in addition to the foam, this new helmet has a somewhat softer external shell that bends and "gives" upon impact to help with deceleration. But in all but the rarest cases, hockey helmets are not used as weapons like football helmets, so I don't know how the technology could be applied to football. Offensive tackle Steve Wallace of the 49ers (who played during the championship runs with Montana and Young) wore a big foam cap around the outside of his helmet in the latter part of his career. It was funny-looking, painted gold just like everyone else's helmet, but it made him look completely different from everyone else on the line. He must have had some concussion problems then to have tried that...

Most hockey head injuries are from elbows to the head like Stevens to Lindros back in either 1997 or Keith Primeau's head injuries back in the day.

ebb1

Georgia Tech Fan
Would like to hear from the Equipment managers on this, but I would imagine that while the style/model maybe the same, i would doubt that each different paint scheme is a New helmet. Some maybe a couple of years old and may or may not have been reconditioned recently. With the cost of a single helmet, to outfit 85 players with multiple New helmets each year could kill the budget of even the most successful programs.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Would like to hear from the Equipment managers on this, but I would imagine that while the style/model maybe the same, i would doubt that each different paint scheme is a New helmet. Some maybe a couple of years old and may or may not have been reconditioned recently. With the cost of a single helmet, to outfit 85 players with multiple New helmets each year could kill the budget of even the most successful programs.
Watch our games when we wear gold helmets and pay attention to the players. Then watch the games with white helmets, they are ALL the same.