Undrafted Player Deals

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's right. You don't build an OL with 2 years of recruiting.
The bad coaching was particularly manifest on the OL more than anywhere else on the team (with the exception of the defensive backfield, which was even worse) by perpetually missed blocks and assignment confusion. The OL was a cluster muck. It was a mess. Just awful coaching. I hope Chip Long can do something about that, even if he's not the OL coach. Throughout the team to varying degree, at most every position except receiver, this whole team has been heretofore pretty much a mess coaching-wise. It's obvious, and seven of those same players are now drawing NFL paychecks, one of them off the OL. Go figure.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
That was one guy this past year.
Never mind that Quinney - at 6-6 - was a starter the year before prior to hanging it up. Cooper, at 6-3 and 300 plus, would have been a starter too if healthy, which he wasn't under CGC.
CGC moved Lee to the D line before he left, and Hansen, at also over 300, got hurt and left as well, but had the makings of being a really good guard in the old offense.
Not to mention Charlie Clark (6-4, 305), who started a game in place of Jordan Williams in 2020, but also left after the year.
So at some point, the depth was there. But it left. And CGC has had to go to the portal to plug the holes because of some misses in OL recruiting.
Going into that first spring, three of the five starters (and six of the top 10) from the QuickLane Bowl were still on the team. Even Key himself said the fact they've played a bunch of football is significant, even if they weren't what they wanted going forward in OL.
Don't forget CGC let the two OL commits from PJ's 19 class go and did not sign a single OL for that class, either. Those guys would be fourth-year guys going into 2022.
Any failings on OL depth have to be placed on CGC's shoulders as well.

A LOT of untruths this post

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You're blaming Paul for a lack of depth in year three of Geoff Collins.
Fast forward to 2025 and we'll be hearing the same excuse except it will be Johnson left the cupboard bare, then Collins couldn't recover from the Covid hole he found himself in so we need 6 more years to build an OL. You know, all he did was recruit big, immobile OL for pass pro & not suited to run a spread offense.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fast forward to 2025 and we'll be hearing the same excuse except it will be Johnson left the cupboard bare, then Collins couldn't recover from the Covid hole he found himself in so we need 6 more years to build an OL. You know, all he did was recruit big, immobile OL for pass pro & not suited to run a spread offense.
Lost decade. It’s been all downhill since we beat Kentucky in Jville. That game was played on Dec. 31, 2016. For those keeping track that was 5 years and 8 months ago. We haven’t had a real QB since and zero defense since.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
When Geoff gets the axe, it will be Paul's fault.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
But according to Brent Key, it's easier to recruit here than at Alabama. His words not mine. Can't decide if he's been a more disappointing coach or Collins. Hopefully the issues are just pnode and things turn around this season, but the coaching from him certainly has not been there nor recruiting.

Also there were plenty of right sized o line players when Collins took over. Injuries and inability to keep players (Parker) made for a poor o line. The cupboard was not bare in the way some of you like to rewrite history.

kalld12

Banned
The bad coaching was particularly manifest on the OL more than anywhere else on the team (with the exception of the defensive backfield, which was even worse) by perpetually missed blocks and assignment confusion. The OL was a cluster muck. It was a mess. Just awful coaching. I hope Chip Long can do something about that, even if he's not the OL coach. Throughout the team to varying degree, at most every position except receiver, this whole team has been heretofore pretty much a mess coaching-wise. It's obvious, and seven of those same players are now drawing NFL paychecks, one of them off the OL. Go figure.
Seems like you have all the answers. Maybe you should apply for the next GT HC job when it comes open, could be as early as next year.

JacketFan137

Banned
you have to stop using undrafted free agents as some huge barometer of how much talent was on the team. looking at the contracts the only two that are likely to make the team is tariq and juanyeh. the rest of them have camp invite contracts with almost no guaranteed money so the odds of them getting cut are very high.

one guy got an invite as a long snapper. a position he didn’t even play for us.

no matter how many times you continue to post this it doesn’t make it any better of an argument lol

kalld12

Banned
Its amazing that people actually believe you build solid OL depth in 2 yrs using smaller bodies that were recruited for a different style offense (no disrespect to Paul) when Geoff took over. There is slim pickings every year of O Lineman that can come in year 1 and make a substantial impact. Hence why we've hit the portal so hard, and those transfers for the most part started over our HS recruits. Most O Lineman are recruited and developed over 1-2 yrs before earning a starter role, and even that's aggressive. I agree with some posters here that the most disappointing thing to date has been the recruitment of highly touted (4 star) O Lineman especially with Keys comments when he was hired. Haven't been overly impressed with key to date, but it takes time to develop proper depth, size, and skills of HS recruits. If were going to see an improvement of on field results, this will be the year. No excuses.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Seems like you have all the answers. Maybe you should apply for the next GT HC job when it comes open, could be as early as next year.
I didn't say I had all the answers. I simply said the confusion/bad coaching was evident. Did you not see it? Everybody else did, whether they admit it or not.
Your comment insinuates that anyone who sees bad coaching and comments on it is saying he should be the HC, which is utterly ridiculous.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Also there were plenty of right sized o line players when Collins took over. Injuries and inability to keep players (Parker) made for a poor o line. The cupboard was not bare in the way some of you like to rewrite history.

Who were these mysterious right sized Ol and how many did we have? This has been proven to be incorrect time & time again

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
you have to stop using undrafted free agents as some huge barometer of how much talent was on the team. looking at the contracts the only two that are likely to make the team is tariq and juanyeh. the rest of them have camp invite contracts with almost no guaranteed money so the odds of them getting cut are very high.

no matter how many times you continue to post this it doesn’t make it any better of an argument lol
Jack Coco played LS at Tech for at least 3 seasons, what kind of glue are you sniffing?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Not true. This is from his GT bio.

2020 (Redshirt Junior): Lost 30 pounds during the offseason to transition from offensive line to tight end … Saw action in all 10 games, remaining as Tech’s long snapper on field goals and PATs and also seeing significant time as a reserve tight end … Made first-career start at TE at Syracuse (Sept. 26) … Caught four passes for 22 yards on the season … Made first-career reception, an 8-yarder, in home opener versus UCF (Sept. 19) … Caught a 7-yard pass at Syracuse … Had a 3-yard reception against Notre Dame (Oct. 31) and a 4-yarder versus Duke (Nov. 28) … Continued career-long streak without an errant snap on FG/PAT.

2019 (Redshirt Sophomore):Appeared in nine games as Georgia Tech’s long snapper on field goals and PATs … Continued his streak without an errant snap all season between both Wesley Wells and Brenton King as place kicker.

2018 (Redshirt Freshman): Saw action in 11 games as the Yellow Jackets’ long snapper on field goals and PATs … Did not have an errant snap all season, which played a key role in true freshman Wesley Wells going a perfect 48-for-48 on place-kick attempts (9-for-9 on field goals, 39-for-39 on PATs) over the final eight games of the campaign.

2017 (True Freshman): Redshirted.

JacketFan137

Banned
Jack Coco played LS at Tech for at least 3 seasons, what kind of glue are you sniffing?
i was incorrect. regardless the point stands bragging about a long snapper getting a look in the nfl is pretty asinine and just self serving to try to paint some picture of a stud team littered with nfl talent

also if you really want to continue to insult me with personal attacks with literally everything you post you need to gtfo this site. it’s getting ridiculous and petty

JacketFan137

Banned
Not true. This is from his GT bio.

2020 (Redshirt Junior): Lost 30 pounds during the offseason to transition from offensive line to tight end … Saw action in all 10 games, remaining as Tech’s long snapper on field goals and PATs and also seeing significant time as a reserve tight end … Made first-career start at TE at Syracuse (Sept. 26) … Caught four passes for 22 yards on the season … Made first-career reception, an 8-yarder, in home opener versus UCF (Sept. 19) … Caught a 7-yard pass at Syracuse … Had a 3-yard reception against Notre Dame (Oct. 31) and a 4-yarder versus Duke (Nov. 28) … Continued career-long streak without an errant snap on FG/PAT.

2019 (Redshirt Sophomore):Appeared in nine games as Georgia Tech’s long snapper on field goals and PATs … Continued his streak without an errant snap all season between both Wesley Wells and Brenton King as place kicker.

2018 (Redshirt Freshman): Saw action in 11 games as the Yellow Jackets’ long snapper on field goals and PATs … Did not have an errant snap all season, which played a key role in true freshman Wesley Wells going a perfect 48-for-48 on place-kick attempts (9-for-9 on field goals, 39-for-39 on PATs) over the final eight games of the campaign.

2017 (True Freshman): Redshirted.

damn i was incorrect. that was my fault. still not exactly something to get excited about.

JacketFan137

Banned
But according to Brent Key, it's easier to recruit here than at Alabama. His words not mine. Can't decide if he's been a more disappointing coach or Collins. Hopefully the issues are just pnode and things turn around this season, but the coaching from him certainly has not been there nor recruiting.

dabo said he’d quit coaching if the players started getting paid. i think some of you guys have to understand college coaches aren’t exactly speaking in 100% truths all the time and say things mostly to sell programs or push their ideas out there. nitpicking college coaches is a pretty futile exercise

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
i was incorrect. regardless the point stands bragging about a long snapper getting a look in the nfl is pretty asinine and just self serving to try to paint some picture of a stud team littered with nfl talent

also if you really want to continue to insult me with personal attacks with literally everything you post you need to gtfo this site. it’s getting ridiculous and petty
Nobody is painting that picture. The only picture anyone is trying to paint is that there was more talent than a team that ends up 3-9 should have, which is absolutely true.

Perhaps stop making wildly inaccurate claims and I will stop questioning why you seem to be on something. I've been on this site since it damn near began, you've been here less than a year.