UNC's QB Williams

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What challenge does Watson (for Clem's Son) present that Williams doesn't? Losing Saturday was disappointing, but a silver lining may be that playing such a mobile lethal QB may have given us some good defensive prep for the tiggers. Discuss.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Sorry guys but I think Watson is a touch faster and has a better arm. We weren't laying a finger on Williams so I'm not sure even with experience it helps a whole lot. We like to laugh when other teams use a scout team guy to simulate JT ... Similar situation here I think. That being said Clemson thinks so too and I'll take a Paul Johnson team with a chip on their shoulder any day of the week. Give an overconfident opponent whose name has come to mean falling flat on your face and I can get excited...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Watson is bigger, but I think Williams is more explosive in short spaces, quicker, and may be faster.

Watson is coming back from an ACL tear...I don't think he's fully 100% yet. I'm more concerned about Watson's arm than I am his legs this time around.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Watson doesn't throw to the Defense. The Scar interception on the goal line was ridiculous, it wasn't an interception, it was a completion to the defense.

That said, MW has all the physical tools of DW. I'd rather play him before Clemson than not.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think we tackle smaller quarterbacks better. Seems like every big quarterback we have faced over the last five years has given us trouble.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
GT fans are biased because they watched Watson play in high school. Williams is and always has been the more dangerous QB.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
In my experience playing sports. If you struggle with guy A, and then the next week you have to play guy B who is more talented and similar in style to guy A, 9 time out of 10 you are screwed. Lets just hope that 1 is this weekend.

Thats what makes football great. You dont play 3 game series.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
IMO Watson has a more accurate arm, and better vision than Williams. They are very close though, and present similar threats defensively. The biggest chink in the armor of the Clemson offense is that the running game is nonexistent without Watson. UNC had Hood, who is a really good player.

If you compare the Clemson defense to the UNC defense, Clemson's first string is light years ahead of UNC.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Do you agree with me 42 did not look good vs unc. Dude made a few really bad plays. Hope he learned

Yeah it was not a good day for him. Let's hope he and the entire D have a great week of film study like it did last season to mitigate some the issues we have on that side of the ball

Sorry guys but I think Watson is a touch faster and has a better arm. We weren't laying a finger on Williams so I'm not sure even with experience it helps a whole lot. We like to laugh when other teams use a scout team guy to simulate JT ... Similar situation here I think. That being said Clemson thinks so too and I'll take a Paul Johnson team with a chip on their shoulder any day of the week. Give an overconfident opponent whose name has come to mean falling flat on your face and I can get excited...
Everything you said PLUS Watson is the beneficiary of much better game planning, coaching, and play-calling than the UNC staff can give. How much bigger is the chip on our shoulder than after ND, after Duke? I don't see anything like even a tiny chip on any Jacket's shoulder. They seem surprisingly content being 2-3, out of the conversation, dead in the division, and done with bowl eligibility..

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the rumor that Gotsis was the spy is true, we should have him for the game this week.

We have in recent years made many good quarterbacks look great by failing to get pressure. Winston of FSU and Williams both had a history of throwing picks, but any college quarterback with college quality receivers will complete passes if they are always given time and not hurried. I hope our line has a good rushing day and I hope Roof calls it aggressive. Maybe we give up some big plays and lose if he does, but there is a chance we get some game changing picks. If he doesn't, I think it is a given that they will score big points.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Watson will kill us if we don't pressure him. He is much, much better than Williams. We must have some type of plan to confuse and disorient him. If he is comfortable, he will for sure move the ball at will against us. I know the coaching staff will say, "we must stop the run first", and I agree you have to do that, but this guy will kill us, even if we know he is passing, if we don't make him uncomfortable.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
What challenge does Watson (for Clem's Son) present that Williams doesn't? Losing Saturday was disappointing, but a silver lining may be that playing such a mobile lethal QB may have given us some good defensive prep for the tiggers. Discuss.

It should help our awareness somewhat, but when you have only average speed afoot and tackle poorly in space the "awareness" is hard to make up the difference. We need 3 AJ Gray type athletes at DB and CBs who can play the ball better at the end of coverage. I think our better chance is to pressure the passer into mistakes throwing.