UNCG Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A win is a win. 7-3 beats the hell out of losing to a scrub team. Bats starting up. Lets hope for a sweep this weekend.

King had 5 innings and only gave up one hit and one walk. Roberts gave up none in an inning. Gorst (Fr) gave up all three runs with 4 walks and a hit.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/022114aaa.html

Good day up here to paint a room, drink some beer and listen to Beesball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Earl Weaver's favorite!

Here's a quote from the GT BaseBall site ">> Tech has opened the season with four consecutive games decided by two runs or less -- it's the first since 1947 that the Jackets have played that many close calls to open a season." Might as well look for a sunshine suppository on that site too.

What I was wondering was when was the last time we started 1-3?? I still think we'll get a lot better by the end of the season, but the team was not ready to start the season. Also, the touting of our class as the 9th ranked by Perfect Game neglects the fact that our top 2 players who were in the top 100 never came to GT. I know most of the top 100 go pro (as they probably should), so I'd like to know where the classes end up for the players who actually show up at school.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Even without those two, I would still say we had a pretty good class. Just look at some of the guys that have already gotten to play this year. Brandon Gold pushed Gonzo to LF. Arden Pabst beat out Mitch Earnest. There is some serious talent in that class

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
7-0. Nice 8th inning with 6 runs (on like 3 UNCG errors).

Pitts had five shutout innings, Issacs had 3.

We won't win many ACC games this year with 5 runners picked off on the bases, but we did good today. We can get better. A win is a win.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
opening the game up today with a HUGE 4th inning ...scored 7 runs in the inning.

Elliott Barzilli had a two run double
Mott Hyde a two run HR
Spingola had a RBI double
Thomas Smith two run HR

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I liked best was the pitching. Generally very nice. We will need excellence on the mound to win games this year. We had best learn how to scratch out 2-1 wins.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
Made it to my first game today. Elliott Barzilli looks like the real deal, he's the one new guy who really stood out to me. His first step is great and his arm is a plus tool. If he can speed up his trigger when throwing to first from deep in the hole he'll be able to get drafted on his defense alone I think. The fact that Danny had him starting at short and moved Mott to 2nd says a lot. I liked him at the plate too, nothing amazing, but solid enough to contribute going forward. Helps that he has a good walkup song too.

I think next year we make a strong run, assuming our young pitchers continue to improve.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I liked best was the pitching. Generally very nice. We will need excellence on the mound to win games this year. We had best learn how to scratch out 2-1 wins.

I got to watch parts of the Saturday game, and our pitching will be our strong suit this year. Hopefully it will be enough. But 6 runs in three games is pretty good.

Really nice though to see the sweep I was hoping for in post #1. This team is going to have to prove itself a lot more than if they hadn't dropped 3 scrub games. I hope that gets under their skin and they never get complacent. Strong pitching with great reliever depth is what carries most teams deep into the CWS. We should be developing that starter and reliever depth over the next few years if our pitchers stay healthy.

For the first time this year, I signed up for CBS Sports so I can watch the games. Looking forward to Kennesaw tomorrow and then a Bowling Green weekend.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A bunch of pretty good teams have lost games to "scrub teams" so far this season already. Examples include UNC losing 2 of 3 to College of Charleston and then another game to Xavier... Miami has dropped games to Maine and Florida Atlantic on the way to a 4-3 record....Mississippi State just dropped 2 in a row to Holy Cross....Alabama has lost 2-1 games to St. Louis and Stephen F. Austin en route to a 4-2 mark. My point is not whether we will be good or bad this year, but that college baseball's dead ball era has made it a lot easier for scrub teams to steal a game here and there from better teams. It is rather like major league baseball, where you need to see a team over a month or two before you really begin to know what you've got.

techfan101

Georgia Tech Fan
A bunch of pretty good teams have lost games to "scrub teams" so far this season already. Examples include UNC losing 2 of 3 to College of Charleston and then another game to Xavier... Miami has dropped games to Maine and Florida Atlantic on the way to a 4-3 record....Mississippi State just dropped 2 in a row to Holy Cross....Alabama has lost 2-1 games to St. Louis and Stephen F. Austin en route to a 4-2 mark. My point is not whether we will be good or bad this year, but that college baseball's dead ball era has made it a lot easier for scrub teams to steal a game here and there from better teams. It is rather like major league baseball, where you need to see a team over a month or two before you really begin to know what you've got.
definitely agree, always seems like tech baseball starts the season well then tapers off near the end (loosing in regionals) maybe since this season has started slow, that we will finish strong this season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope we develop into something a lot better. I get the idea you can be a good team and lose to almost anyone. What is concerning is losing three. Statistically, that means you probably aren't that good at all. I'll post something separate on the pitching situation which is going to be our strong suit.

Got home from work and listening to the game. At least we scored in the sixth to make it 1-2 on the reliever. Now to finish with some more runs or lose first time to Kennesaw in 13 games. Not the sign of a good team.