UNC

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Traveling to Chapel Hill for the 2nd ACC road trip in a row. UNC is solid. They have played 3 home ACC series. Swept 2 of those (Wake and Pitt), but dropped series 1-2 to FSU.

Broken record....I believe things are pretty simple with this one. Execute in all phases and Ga Tech has a shot to take the series. Our starting pitching has the ability to keep any lineup off balance... but need the support of the defense and the bats... and sound in-game coaching decisions. Need it all... no margin for error.

Deleted member 2897

Traveling to Chapel Hill for the 2nd ACC road trip in a row. UNC is solid. They have played 3 home ACC series. Swept 2 of those (Wake and Pitt), but dropped series 1-2 to FSU.

Broken record....I believe things are pretty simple with this one. Execute in all phases and Ga Tech has a shot to take the series. Our starting pitching has the ability to keep any lineup off balance... but need the support of the defense and the bats... and sound in-game coaching decisions. Need it all... no margin for error.

I browsed their record - their ACC record is much more impressive than OOC. They've lost some bad games, and won a lot of tight ones. They actually remind me of us. I can see literally anything from 0-3 to 3-0.

Deleted member 2897

UNCheat has lost to South Florida, UNC Wilmington, St. John's, East Carolina, Gardner Webb, and they beat NCA&T 1-0, LOL.

They've scored 4 or fewer runs in nearly half of their games. We need to catch them on one of those nights and bring some bats of our own!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I understand the posts above, we can win or we can lose .......

Now a little more. UNC is a national seed (top 8) bubble team. They are playing at home. Here's what UNC has done at home (7-2:
  • Swept Pitt scoring 32 runs and Pitt scoring 5 (we should have swept but I have to let that go, namaste);
  • Lost a series to FSU 1-2. (We won series.);
  • Swept Wake.
On the road:
  • Lost a series at L'Ville 1-2;
  • Won a series from Miami 2-1 (We swept);
  • Won a series from UVa 2-1.
My conclusion is we are going to win 0-3 games with median expectation below 1. Tito and I will be rooting for GT the whole way(y) Winning the series would be huge. Losing or getting swept will be seen as karma.

Deleted member 2897

If I understand the posts above, we can win or we can lose .......

Now a little more. UNC is a national seed (top 8) bubble team. They are playing at home. Here's what UNC has done at home (7-2:
  • Swept Pitt scoring 32 runs and Pitt scoring 5 (we should have swept but I have to let that go, namaste);
  • Lost a series to FSU 1-2. (We won series.);
  • Swept Wake.
On the road:
  • Lost a series at L'Ville 1-2;
  • Won a series from Miami 2-1 (We swept);
  • Won a series from UVa 2-1.
My conclusion is we are going to win 0-3 games with median expectation below 1. Tito and I will be rooting for GT the whole way(y) Winning the series would be huge. Losing or getting swept will be seen as karma.

I don't get the #8 ranking with their record and book of business on losses. I really think we can go 2-1, although on the road we're like the bad news bears sometimes.

Deleted member 2897

That's their RPI (#8). Warren Nolan' numbers also have them with #3 strength of schedule.

However... The polls have them ranked in high teens.
#15 in D1 Baseball
#17 USA Coaches
#19 Baseball America
...FWIW

Thank you, that makes a little more sense. Its still a touch odd though - if we swept them, our records would be just about identical. But I have a hard time seeing that they'd have us ranked in the teens. And looking at their schedule, it looks like our OOC is comparable, but our ACC opponents have been tougher so far.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UNC has won twice as much in the ACC as we have. For every ACC loss, they have two ACC wins. For every ACC loss, we have one ACC win.

UNC RPI =11 this morning (it can change daily as other teams play). Here's what I like to look at for results and RPI: https://d1baseball.com/team/unc/

When I said before that UNC was a National Seed bubble team, that's because D1 in guessing the NCAA field had UNC on the bubble - outside.

D1 does have GT on the bubble too. But on the outside by 3 teams to make the field of 64. A series win this weekend would put us back in probably.

........ Its still a touch odd though - if we swept them, our records would be just about identical. But I have a hard time seeing that they'd have us ranked in the teens. And looking at their schedule, it looks like our OOC is comparable, but our ACC opponents have been tougher so far.

If GT were to sweep @UNC, I think both teams would be ranked in the mid 20's. We are 39 now. I'd sure like to see that (y)

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

UNC has won twice as much in the ACC as we have. For every ACC loss, they have two ACC wins. For every ACC loss, we have one ACC win.

Right, but for their Wake Forests and Pitts, we have played Clemson, NC State, Miami, and Florida State.

Daybreaker

Banned
Another dumpster fire pitching performance from X. Second inning and it’s already game over. Prob going to be a sweep and we will be well on our way to missing NCAA tourney and bringing back Coach Hall again next year for another sub par season

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Another dumpster fire pitching performance from X. Second inning and it’s already game over. Prob going to be a sweep and we will be well on our way to missing NCAA tourney and bringing back Coach Hall again next year for another sub par season

5-2 in the 3rd and you're freaking out? Dayum.......................................

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The season will not be made or lost by the game tonight. I hope we win.

Connor and Tristin are probably our best starters over the last 2 weeks. If/when we make it to ACC Tourney and the NCAAs, we have depth of starting pitching that can carry us further than previous years. But a winning solution isn't to throw 85 pitches in 4 innings, giving up 5 runs, 5 hits and 3 walks (2.0 WHIP) like X and then rely on our bullpen.

Things will get better.