UNC Week Media

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
CPJ Radio Show

Larry Fedora Press Conference (12 min video)
  • Said bye week was key for mental and physical rest
  • Said last year's GT game has a lot to do with their success last year and this year
  • Said they got spent 2 extra practices for GT due to extra time from bye week
  • Said Justin Thomas "is so explosive" and "he's electric" and "seems like he's been there forever"
Other UNC player interviews available on the right hand of the above link. Fedora and DB Des Lawrence were open about being fans of teams playing VT. Typical "coach speak" is to focus on the game at hand, particularly with many left to be played.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
They need a bye week to prepare for us with all the class work their SA have each day.......... Oh wait we are talking about unc forget the first part.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and it shouldn't be. It simply shouldn't be.

During all his time here Coach's offense has not been the problem. Period, full stop. Not only is it outrageously efficient and - yes - fun to watch, but it scores like nobody's business. And, as the Tarhole fan says, it is very frustrating to the other side, a major plus imho.

But this doesn't satisfy some people. The evidence = we are passing the ball much better this year, despite not having a truly talented WR. The O is much more "balanced" as a result; shoot, we look more like Hawaii then Tech out there. This has, of course, been the cry from the stands for some little time: "We need to be more balanced and pass effectively! We can't and it's all mean old Coach's fault! He always wants to run first!" Now these nay sayers have their wish and what do we hear? "We can't play defense? We need to fire Ted Roof! Coach can't do the job in hiring DCs!"

I get so tired of this. I get it that some "fans" don't like our O; the usual complaint is that it isn't "exciting", whatever that's supposed to mean. And they know they won't get a change until Coach decides to leave; Tech won't fire him after the success ably described in the linked article. So they grouse.

But they are right about one thing, despite the questionable motives they have for bringing it up: D has always been the shortfall here and it is directly related to the problem we have recruiting DTs. A problem shared by many other schools; there aren't that many different makers at the position and the recruits know it's a seller's market. We appear to be making slow progress on this front, provided we hold onto the linemen we have recruited this year. So I would respectfully request that everybody keep their shorts on and let things work out for the next couple of years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Very well done and a very enjoyable read, and though I don't know the personalities it seemed fair to me. Shoot, he can be *****ly. We just had a thread on his treatment of the AJC reporter. I understand why a Chapel Hill writer might think UNC this week is make or break for Johnson and his new AD, but frankly Scarlett, if it is, then Johnson should pack it in. Because if every game is going to be the litmus test, if every game is going to be for a job, and if every game is stressed beyond the normal nature and give and take of big time football, then there can be no joy on Saturday afternoon anyway. I would not work a job like that. To a degree he is entitled to be aggrieved, but I think overall the fan base has been as good to him as he might (reasonably) expect. Yeah, I know. One of the knocks is a thin skin. That is pretty fair, too. (See AJC writer again, a needless jab that made the coach look a bit small.) The writer, I think, in his reference to the offense was not talking won/lost. It is just a funky kind of out there offensive alignment and nomenclature that when stripped of all the chrome is just an option offense. No way it is vanilla, but option anyway. Lastly, anybody believe Fedora that UNC practiced just two days against the offense? Didn't he count that time in August?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Two things just jumped off the page at me reading these links. One is the attention to such minute detail as opposing D backs warming up before the game. Now, tell the truth: how many of us have ever, ever, counted drop steps of the other guy's defensive backs ... warming up? Remarkable, and then to find the play to attack it? That's just fine coaching. Second is that Johnson 'slained some of the tight end problem, at least with that easy-looking TD. And I bet it didn't hurt at all to at least partially answer a perfectly reasonable question. Now, I have to go back and watch the Stewart pass play.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Warm ups have always been something coaches watch and can sometimes learn something from. It's why players not participating usually form a curtain accross the 50 yd-line. Coaches often think of what they will show or not show, or will show stuff they arent going to do.

I remember the Thursday night Miami white out game warm ups really well. On one half of the field GT guys were bouncing around dancing and Miami looked flat as a pancake. I thought man we look FIRED UP.

Panning into OL drills we were not cutting at all and using more of an upright drive block technique. We ended up using this for this game. CPJ said later we were really struggling and needed to go back to what the guys could execute.

In College and HS coaches would sometimes mention stuff from other team's warm ups. Very common practice.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Warm ups have always been something coaches watch and can sometimes learn something from. It's why players not participating usually form a curtain accross the 50 yd-line. Coaches often think of what they will show or not show, or will show stuff they arent going to do.

I remember the Thursday night Miami white out game warm ups really well. On one half of the field GT guys were bouncing around dancing and Miami looked flat as a pancake. I thought man we look FIRED UP.

Panning into OL drills we were not cutting at all and using more of an upright drive block technique. We ended up using this for this game. CPJ said later we were really struggling and needed to go back to what the guys could execute.

In College and HS coaches would sometimes mention stuff from other team's warm ups. Very common practice.

Many times when I was coaching my brother would watch the opposing team's warmups and then relay to me who were their top players and numbers, where they played, who not to kick off or punt to, and in some cases who not to throw near (we rarely had a scouting report and often played teams we never saw before). This was extremely helpful info to not do something early in the game to get behind. This info also indicated their base D and gave me a hint as to what to attack early in the game. CPJ has a real eye when watching games (this carries over to warmups) and I am not surprised he picked up on something many others would overlook.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No, GT had the W and they left quietly....Just like the CPJ heckler in 107. He had to eat his Reggie Ball comments about JT too.