@UNC Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can ***** about the number of errors of this team, but they play to win and play hard. 27 double plays this year to UNC's 10 for the season. Double plays in in 6th and 7th led to UNC getting nothing.

Grimes has reached his career high of 7 innings, probably won't be in the 8th. I don't know the pitch count, but UNC has 8 hits and one run to show for those hits.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now 8-1. UNC to their 7th pitcher this game. We are beating them like a {cheap *****} or a {rented mule} or a {*}. Soon UNC will be pitching with outfielders like we did 2-3 years ago.

Baseball is so slow, I finished reading a book while listening to the game.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This team shrugs off mistakes and failures as well as any baseball team I've seen in a while. This is not a quality I'd say some of our more highly touted squads have showed in the past. Am I just wearing my gold-colored glasses, or is there something different about this bunch?

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
This team shrugs off mistakes and failures as well as any baseball team I've seen in a while. This is not a quality I'd say some of our more highly touted squads have showed in the past. Am I just wearing my gold-colored glasses, or is there something different about this bunch?
I'm with you. They're showing the ability to overcome adversity

LibertyTurns

Banned
The history of GT sports tells you our teams do better when comprised of a large group of moderately talented players when an extremely high percentage ends up performing better than expected. We've never been able to bag the 3+ superstars required to drag along the rest of the team. This group may have it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Jason Veritek and Nomar would be arguments otherwise...not saying the rest of the team were bums at all but those guys were super elite. JV won golden spikes. Was Kevin Brown a pitcher on that team or was he a bit before?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The history of GT sports tells you our teams do better when comprised of a large group of moderately talented players when an extremely high percentage ends up performing better than expected. We've never been able to bag the 3+ superstars required to drag along the rest of the team. This group may have it.

I agree. The tough thing about baseball recruiting is that the recruiting stats I see just show where a player committed. But the best ones (rightly) go to the minor leagues and never show up at the school they committed to. I think with the increase in signing bonus pay out, this has become even more true in recent years (but can't prove it).

We recruit pretty well and play pretty well and put a lot of players into MLB. (a list of current GT MLB players is at http://beesball.com/ ) The only hit is Danny Hall not doing well post season. Hopefully that will change over the next few years. This team is playing light years better in the last 10 games than the first 10. We are 8-2 in the last 10. The two we lost were one in extra innings and one where we were tied going into the ninth.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree. The tough thing about baseball recruiting is that the recruiting stats I see just show where a player committed. But the best ones (rightly) go to the minor leagues and never show up at the school they committed to. I think with the increase in signing bonus pay out, this has become even more true in recent years (but can't prove it).

We recruit pretty well and play pretty well and put a lot of players into MLB. (a list of current GT MLB players is at http://beesball.com/ ) The only hit is Danny Hall not doing well post season. Hopefully that will change over the next few years. This team is playing light years better in the last 10 games than the first 10. We are 8-2 in the last 10. The two we lost were one in extra innings and one where we were tied going into the ninth.

Generally agree....except how many GT pitchers are on that list? (A: only 2) Hall was never one to worry much about pitching until recently, and that explains a lot about our post-season failures, as even in college baseball, good pitching beats good hitting 90% of the time. We had great regular season records because most of the time, we did not face good pitching....but in the post-season, you do see it.