UNC Preview Thread -- Who is UNC?

slugboy

Staff member
ACC ranking excluding FCS
5th in defense yards per play
7th in defense points per play

For offense
12th in yards per play (ahead of Miami and Clemson)
13th in points per play (only Clemson is worse)

Per drive metrics aren't great either, but given only two fbs games, there are more data points with play data currently.

NIU really messed us up. It was a real game, but I hope it's an outlier.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
T doubt if we can stop uncheat.But we may be able to slow them down.That only works if our Off can score pts --mainly the run game to use clock. If we can't run ,we probably lose BIG.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That's team DEFENSE.
Lower is better. We're 4th in the conference in yards/game:
Tota
RkSchoolGYds^
1Syracuse3225.3
2Boston College3256.3
3North Carolina State3261.0
4Clemson3266.7
5Georgia Tech3285.7
6Wake Forest3308.3
7Virginia Tech3356.3
8Pitt3366.7
9North Carolina3380.3
10Duke3386.3
11Virginia3406.3
12Louisville3408.0
13Florida State3421.7
14Miami (FL)3427.0

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/21/2021.

We're 7th in points/game (same story, lower is better)
RkSchoolGPts
1Clemson37.0
2Boston College310.3
3North Carolina State310.3
4Wake Forest313.3
5Syracuse316.7
6Virginia Tech317.0
7Georgia Tech317.7
8Duke323.7
9North Carolina324.3
10Virginia324.3
11Louisville327.0
12Pitt328.3
13Florida State332.0
14Miami (FL)335.0

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 9/21/2021.
Miami and FSU are both at the bottom of the ACC in defense. Not exactly what was envisioned for either of them when they joined the conference,. Not like bullying Big East teams is it? Tech's defense is more than acceptable it has been good enough to win in this conference but those stats might take a beating after Saturday.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
We're still early enough in the season that we don't know the answers to some of the questions. Is Georgia tech good on defense or does Clemson suck on offense? Is UNC going on offense or does UVA suck on defense?

Gt/unc is one of those good early season calibration games where we figure some stuff out, that we can then cross reference and get an idea of who is who.
Considering UNC has been good on O for several seasons now, I'd suspect that UNC continues to be good on O moreso than UVA sucking at D

slugboy

Staff member
Considering UNC has been good on O for several seasons now, I'd suspect that UNC continues to be good on O moreso than UVA sucking at D
UVA won 44-41 last year and 38-31 in 2019. UNC averaged 41.7 points/game last year while UVA averaged giving up 29.
Since this year was 59-39, that’s 18 points worse than last year and 28 worse than two years ago.
We’ll find out Saturday, but UNC improvement and UVA regression are both possible.
It goes back to the original question—do we get the UNC that VT held to the mat and smothered, or the one that ran wild on UVA?
How much is up to us?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If we can run consistently vs UNC, limit their possessions, keep their O on the sidelines, etc we have a good chance.

Get behind and/or try to be in a shootout with them and good luck.

Will be hard to stop them on third and long. Need pressure. VT beat UNC in the trenches both sides of the ball. But game 1s can be anomalies.

Be nice to see some rushers get home.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We have to pressure Howell or he will run up the scoreboard on us. So far we have been unable to pressure other than the KSU game. On Offense, we have to learn how to get the ball in the end zone and not settle for Field Goals and Field position. On paper, this shapes up to be a lopsided loss. I'm glad we don't play the game on paper.

Go Jackets!
I don't think UNC will be THAT far behind us at the end of the game, but you may be right. We could really wallop these guys.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If we can score touchdown in each one of our possessions I think we have a good chance to win. We should be focusing on doing that regardless of what UNC does in their first two or three possessions.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to be aggressive on both sides of the ball. If we don't try and confuse Howell and just rely on our front winning one on one matchups, we'll get picked apart. If we don't try and push the ball in the middle of the field through the passing game, we'll get clamped down in the middle and have guys flowing to the edges without abandon, and Yates won't have time to push the ball downfield in obvious passing situations.

We've got the pieces on both sides of the ball to be disruptive, but we do have to leverage them schematically to have success.

slugboy

Staff member
Josh Downs highlights against VT. He scored UNC's only touchdown on a bubble screen (video is set to start on the bubble screen):

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
If we don't try and confuse Howell and just rely on our front winning one on one matchups, we'll get picked apart.
Replying to just this line.

Against DJ we found that confusing him by flooding the passing lanes was effective. With a much better passer who is capable of putting the ball at exactly the right place at exactly the right time I wonder how our strategy will change. I'm not sure how Howell does against the blitz but I have to assume we are not just going to sit back and let him and his receivers find open space. I think we have to send a whole lot of different pressures from every direction in this game. This will put a lot of pressure on our defensive backfield to not get beat by UNC's talented receiver(s).

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If we can run consistently vs UNC, limit their possessions, keep their O on the sidelines, etc we have a good chance.

Get behind and/or try to be in a shootout with them and good luck.

Will be hard to stop them on third and long. Need pressure. VT beat UNC in the trenches both sides of the ball. But game 1s can be anomalies.

Be nice to see some rushers get home.
I hope this is the game where we see the reemergence of a GT pass rush the likes of we haven’t seen since the Tenuta days. This is the game where we need to get the QB a few times and get in his head. Establish a solid run game and win the turnover battle and we can win this thing.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Replying to just this line.

Against DJ we found that confusing him by flooding the passing lanes was effective. With a much better passer who is capable of putting the ball at exactly the right place at exactly the right time I wonder how our strategy will change. I'm not sure how Howell does against the blitz but I have to assume we are not just going to sit back and let him and his receivers find open space. I think we have to send a whole lot of different pressures from every direction in this game. This will put a lot of pressure on our defensive backfield to not get beat by UNC's talented receiver(s).

Against VT, he really got out of sync. Has a tendency to hold on to the ball and got in no man's land sometimes. Of course if he finds Downs etc. he will turn it into a big play. I think the bigger things are going to be getting him out of sync and being able to break down their offensive line. If they get chunks in the run game or Howell gets in rhythm, it will be bad. We have to be prepared to move fast defensively and get them stay on schedule so they can't keep us on our heels with tempo.

I don't expect to keep them from scoring. We just want to have enough stops, turnovers, and field goals instead of TDs to let our offense operate and hopefully put the pressure on them instead.