UNC Postgame

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Johnson said the shift was not a problem. How ever they lined up when we came to the line of scrimmage they shifted to the other set up pre snap. It became easy to read as the game went along. He basically said if our guys could not figure that out, they had no business going to Georgia Tech. I think we had a lot of negative plays but we overcame most of them with converting long third downs with good plays. Not sure we could count on that every week.

Go Jackets!

We had 5 plays for negative yards. Two were sacks. Two came on the drive where we kicked the last field goal. On the two sacks I recall thinking Taquon might have been able to escape if he had taken off earlier. I haven't looked at the sacks but I wonder if they were a result of having to play some different people due to the banged up line?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said, for the most part.

One thing I thought interesting that hang been discussed was the slant (pass) attempt on 3rd & goal from the 3 in the second quarter. The game was still in doubt (at least on the scoreboard) 7-0. It was broken up and we kicked a FG for 10-0 lead. I thought the call was out of character for CPJ. My thought was that we would run it on third & then run it again on fourth if we didn't score. Why do you think CPJ decided to throw it in that situation? My best guess was even though the score didn't reflect it he felt good about how the game was going & wanted to try it & get some experience w something different for future sitations. It wasn't a bad call, just out of character I thought.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

One thing I thought interesting that hang been discussed was the slant (pass) attempt on 3rd & goal from the 3 in the second quarter. The game was still in doubt (at least on the scoreboard) 7-0. It was broken up and we kicked a FG for 10-0 lead. I thought the call was out of character for CPJ. My thought was that we would run it on third & then run it again on fourth if we didn't score. Why do you think CPJ decided to throw it in that situation? My best guess was even though the score didn't reflect it he felt good about how the game was going & wanted to try it & get some experience w something different for future sitations. It wasn't a bad call, just out of character I thought.
I thought it was strange also, and unnecessary, but I'm glad to know that is in the play book. Would have been a great call if it had been completed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When 12 - b j swilling played , ( from my field level seats ), he looked very athletic and instinctive . Wonder how many plays he Got? He doesn't look like a kid just out of hs.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
^^^^^^^^^^^^

We throw on literally almost every third down his year! Haven't you noticed?

/

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone mentioned we have been 100% pass on 3rd and long all season.

It's gotta be for a reason, either because PJ is finally wanting us to practice, or we are setting something up for later in the season.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
When 12 - b j swilling played , ( from my field level seats ), he looked very athletic and instinctive . Wonder how many plays he Got? He doesn't look like a kid just out of hs.
He definitely looks athletic, but you can tell he's still young. He was caught out of place on some play with the limited snaps he got. He should be exciting to watch in the future though.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if the motivation was for Miami but it was atypical and a tendency breaker. It also would have worked without the interference. I do wonder if CPJ has someone who looks at his calls to see if he has tendencies.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We were had a hard time on the ground on 1st and 2nd down on that series, so I was hoping we would throw on 3rd down...it may not have been the pass play I would have anticipated but I'm ok with the call.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
We were had a hard time on the ground on 1st and 2nd down on that series, so I was hoping we would throw on 3rd down...it may not have been the pass play I would have anticipated but I'm ok with the call.
I'm ok w the call too. However, to be accurate, Taquon ran for 3 on first down and Benson for 4 on second down in the series. We were in the midst of a 17 play 74 yd drive where we had thrown exactly 1 passs (complete for 11 yds on third & 8) and had already gone for it and converted twice on 4th down. I think in that drive alone we had demonstrated pretty well that we could get 3 yds in two plays on the ground.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if the motivation was for Miami but it was atypical and a tendency breaker. It also would have worked without the interference. I do wonder if CPJ has someone who looks at his calls to see if he has tendencies.

Yes he does.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He has said they do a lot of self scouting, and probably will do some during the off week.