UNC just hired Former D coordinator Gene Chizik

slugboy

Staff member
The guy they fired (one of their co-DCs) was a big innovator in “positionless defense”, and headed Army’s best defense before UNC took him.
I think Chizik can recruit, and can do well at UNC.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After Gene S won National Championship he wrote a book that so impressed my Canadian client he had Gene speak to our whole project team at a winter meeting. Gene was modeling blah blah blah sounds like Collins type leadership that wins. Gene was good speaker , nice guy and sucessful DC before he came to Auburn.
Having Cam Newton as your Qb is modeling blah blah that wins.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
How is this a great hire? they already fired him once
Different HFC - Larry Fedora.

Chizik, a former Broyles Award winner, took UNCheats defense from 120th nationally to 96th & 63rd his two years there. BTW we were 0-2 against the Holes those two years.

IIRC his family was having some sort of problems a long way from Chapel Hole, so he resigned to go get that squared away. He wasn't fired.

Chizik worked '05 (the last time the Horns won a MNC) & '06 for Mack at Texas.

Last edited:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
You know way more about football than the average poster on here, but it’s pretty hilarious for any GT fan to say “Meh” about a competitor hiring a former national championship winning HC as their DC when we didn’t even fire ours for having one of the worst defenses in the country.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Wasn’t he there as DC before? Maybe 2015?
Different HFC - Larry Fedora.

Chizik, a former Broyles Award winner, took UNCheats defense from 120th nationally to 96th & 63rd his two years there. BTW we were 0-2 against the Holes those two years.

IIRC his family was having some sort of problems a long way from Chapel Hole, so he resigned to go get that squared away. He wasn't fired.

Chizik worked '05 (the last time the Horns won a MNC) & '06 for Mack at Texas.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You know way more about football than the average poster on here, but it’s pretty hilarious for any GT fan to say “Meh” about a competitor hiring a former national championship winning HC as their DC when we didn’t even fire ours for having one of the worst defenses in the country.

Not sure what him being a part of MNC has to do with him being the DC. No one has ever uttered “Man those championship team Chizik were a part had some great defenses!!!“ Chizik has been fortunate to be a part of teams that had Top 3 drafted QBs. 2 of which may be in the top 5 of best college QBs of all time.

CGC may be on bad terms with many within the fanbase, but I’ve actually seen his defense carry a team to 10wins and look great multiple stops. Can’t say the same about Chizik.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what him being a part of MNC has to do with him being the DC. No one has ever uttered “Man those championship team Chizik were a part had some great defenses!!!“ Chizik has been fortunate to be a part of teams that had Top 3 drafted QBs. 2 of which may be in the top 5 of best college QBs of all time.

CGC may be on bad terms with many within the fanbase, but I’ve actually seen his defense carry a team to 10wins and look great multiple stops. Can’t say the same about Chizik.
I have no idea how this hire will work out but agree with you 100% as to who and how those championships were won.
The defense was certainly the soft spot of those teams.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Auburn always with high hopes let Chizik leave for ISU after he had done credible job as Auburn DC .
At ISU he took his Collins like play of why he will be a great head coach. Its all in his book describing his sucess at changing the culture at ISU which had a very average record but had been to bowls 4 of last 5 iirc years.
While at ISU for 2 years, they won 5 games. Iirc Auburn was not doing well so they brought him back w big $ for him and staff ( name brand OC and DC. )

It sure looks like UNC and Mack Brown are doing the same thing.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

As a matter of fact, I know several Auburn grads they were ready to fire Ted after they won their national title with Cam. Seeing as Chizik was a defensive minded head coach, he was partly responsible for that poor performance. They were not happy with their defense that year.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

So, Chizik gets no credit for winning the MNC as a head coach of that team? Interesting.

And you’re basically glossing over the fact that Thacker has been retained as our DC, when you start talking about Collins past results as a DC. Who’s in charge? There’s been no announcement.

Y’all are hilarious if you would choose Thacker over Chizik.