Film Room UNC at GT

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, just watched the 1st half. Few thoughts. I think the oline played pretty good. We had one player that was extremely ineffective. We had 4 players that did well. We get away from the run to easily I think and maybe try and do to much. Not sticking with concepts that work. I really liked the 2 backs. TO needs to be on the field. Really he is an amazing athlete. Graham, man he stays in that pocket and will deliver the ball. The few inaccurate passes really were because of pressure. Had to be that it just came out of his hand wrong. He at times is laser accurate. I have a ton of respect for how he sticks with a play. Also impressed with some of the WR. We are really talented at RB and WR. I think graham is gonna be good. At oline we are born early as bad as some make it out to be. We just aren’t. I am sort of confused why we don’t at least try a change at one position.

As far as defense I was impressed with some individual performances. Curry of course probably had his best game. BJS had a good game. I thought Longo called a very good game. I went to law school at Ole Miss so I stayed pretty tuned into them as well. I wasn’t overly impressed with him there because the talent they had on Offense while he was their under performed on the field at times. I thought this game he was really good. Howell put it on a dime. Every time he found the open man and put it in a spot that only his WR could make a play. Time and again. He was impressive. His WR also dropped a good many balls. But have no doubt, he put the ball in the perfect location a lot. So I don’t know what else to take out of the defense. We didn’t miss a ton of tackles so that was good. UNC didn’t run a ton in the 1st half and we stuff them for a loss Several times. But we all know what happened in 2nd half.

All and all I’m encouraged more than I was before. We really missed two opportunities for wins against the citadel and temple. We were better than both of those teams. We were more talented. We should have won both games. On offense, I wish our guy would do a better job of identifying what we are good at. I will say, we have people open on the passing concepts. We generally go to the right guy as well. So I think we are very close one the pleasing game. We need an identity in the running game. We need to identify what we do good and stick with the run a bit more. But I really do think we are close on offense.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think we took a step forward this past game, which was good to see.

Both teams missed a lot of opportunities, UNC generated more in the first place though. Missed tackle on the first kickoff could have pinned them deep, missed td pass that Graham threw OOB, dropped passes, not snapping the ball to draw multiple offsides, you get the point.

There were a number of missed calls (as always) which could have ended UNC drives early had they been made. Their first third down the center and right tackle (I think) both move before the snap. Offensive PI on UNC's wr pushing off Swilling for a big grab for a td. Several others, of course they made bad calls in our favor as well- Graham's fumble and several times Defoor with a handful of jersey on a guy who'd already passed him. Several questionable/bad calls throughout the game, I don't know that they were in favor of one team or the other though. On tv, the UNC touchdown to start the 4th quarter he did not appear to have possession until he hit the ground out of bounds - bobbled the catch and had the ball in one hand unprotected (not tucked) as he hit the ground. Maybe it was a td, but it didn't look like it to me.

On a related note, ESPN/ACC network needs better cameras. Cameras exist that can film at thousands of frames per second, yet most of the replays were so blurry you couldn't tell anything even when the view wasn't obstructed.

Graham played decently well for a freshman, made some good throws and did throw it away at least once instead of taking the sack which I was happy to see. Both interceptions were bad decisions, multiple defenders in the area, I think he'll get better with more game experience though.

Props to Curry, Kelton Dawson, and Adonicas Sanders, all three played great when they got opportunities put in front of them. I've ragged on Curry a lot in the past, but he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time- hopefully he can keep that up.

Zamari Walton got targeted a lot. He made some plays, but he also got beat a number of times. Hopefully he is learning and improving from this game.

Cottrell is perfect for kickoff coverage and punt coverage, really suits his straight line track speed to fly down field and make a play. I think Collins is right that he is NFL level talent at those positions, don't know if he'll get that shot though (how many guys on an NFL roster are just for special teams?).

Overall, I saw a lot of improvement, and a lot that we can work on to continue improving. The offense had life, it looked like there was some semblance of a game plan, we just got to take advantage of the opportunities that are generated and get some consistency and we'll be rolling. This is the first time this season where I've felt good about the possible future of this program.