Uhhhh......

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Be thankful he was rated at all. I've seen so many of these lists this offseason just leave him out. I don't care how much you dislike the offense or don't respect the team, it's idiotic to leave the Orange Bowl MVP off any top player list.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Be thankful he was rated at all. I've seen so many of these lists this offseason just leave him out. I don't care how much you dislike the offense or don't respect the team, it's idiotic to leave the Orange Bowl MVP off any top player list.
I hope they keep showing lack of respect. What counts is what happens on the playing field. This stuff is locker room fodder and will fire up our guys more. GO JACKETS!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Have Thomas announce he is not playing this season and see how quickly ESPN starts shuffling GT off its '15 schedule.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Each SEC team has 85 scholarship players. The way I see it is he's #1191 at best

^TIC if it wasn't obvious

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
ESPN continuing to do a great job. Players 61 - 70 revealed today, including a few non-SEC guys. Here are a few highlights of the guys ranked 30 players ahead of JeT - based on expected contribution in 2015.

Thank God we have ESPN journalists to inform the preseason poll voters about actual performance and merit vs. hype!!!

T-61. Jeremy Johnson Auburn
We haven't seen much of Johnson (two career starts) but the hype is palpable
. A more polished passer than his predecessor, Nick Marshall, some are mentioning the 6-foot-5, 240-pound Johnson as a possible Heisman Trophy candidate. In Malzahn's offense, the junior should thrive for a team looking to make College Football Playoff noise.

T-63. Chris Jones Mississippi St.
Jones' production level hasn't matched the amount of hype he received as an incoming recruit. (He has only started three times and has six career sacks, 10.5 tackles for loss and 58 total tackles.) That could change this year, as he is expected to step into a full-time starting role at defensive tackle. His strength and athleticism are unquestioned; production is what's anticipated for the 6-foot-6, 308-pound Jones.

T-66 Seth Russell Baylor
Those who follow Baylor closely are confident Russell will outperform Bryce Petty in his first year as a starter. That's high praise. His dual-threat abilities (5.8 yards per carry in 2014) give Baylor even more options in the run and pass game, and Russell has three years as a backup under his belt. If he can put that experience to good use, Russell ought to be one the Big 12's top passers in his first full season as a starter.

. . . Those who follow college football closely are confident that mistakes were made.

VS.

92. Justin Thomas Georgia Tech University
Thomas was one of the bigger surprises of the season last year, assuming the starting role after Vad Lee's transfer, earning team captaincy and turning into the best QB of the Paul Johnson era in Atlanta. Thomas threw for 1,719 yards and 18 touchdowns, and he rushed for 1,086 yards and eight more scores. The Capital One Orange Bowl MVP returns behind a veteran offensive line on a team expected to contend for the ACC crown in 2015.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
And the newest release of the list has Christian Hackenberg at #41. Clearly, these voters don't actually watch the games, they just use old recruiting rankings and call it a day. More INTs than TDs, 2-6 conference record...yeah he's much better at this QB thing than JeT.
"Sure, he threw more interceptions (15) than touchdowns (12) last season. But those numbers don't tell the full story of his ability -- or his potential."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If its based on stats I get it, if it were based on who is most valuable to his team, he would be Top 10.

Please explain. This thead already has examples of players with worse stats than JT who are listed as better. ESPN has a stat based rating for QBs, QBR, which I mentioned earlier. So, please explain how you understand it based on stats with reference to other QBs mentioned in this thread.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
If its based on stats I get it, if it were based on who is most valuable to his team, he would be Top 10.

It's not based on stats - that's for sure (see above, below). It is based on most valuable to the team...i think. Decipher for yourself: "We asked 43 of ESPN's college football writers, editors and analysts to rate players on a scale of 0-10 based on their expected contributions for the 2015 season."

Eric Crouch's Heisman trophy-winning year:
2,625 total yards, 25 total TDs

#92 Justin Thomas's non-award winning 2014 season:
2,805 total yards, 26 total TDs (+7 Byerly rushing TD thefts) (4 less interceptions than crouch)

#41 Christian Hackenberg 2014 year that inspired the "this guy is going to be the #1 pick" mantra
2,883 total yards, 12 total TDs, 15 interceptions (9 more than JeT)