#UGAvsGT Postgame. 45-0, Tech loses

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A LOT of teams were at the start of the year. A lot of schools are getting credit for what they used to be, not who they are.
I am struck over and over again by how many teams in the top ten are just kind of average but it is a year when most teams in the country are way below average. What a year for uga to put it all together. There literally are no other complete teams out there. Everyone else, in relative terms, is average or horrible.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah. When you have a couple 8-4 teams in the top 25, things are getting pretty rough.

I think what we're seeing though was inevitable. There's simply too much money in College Football now for just a few teams to dominate it anymore. Everybody is getting in on it and hurling money hand over fist at it. That is spreading the talent out more and more across the nation.

It's slowly but surely leveling the playing field.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. When you have a couple 8-4 teams in the top 25, things are getting pretty rough.

I think what we're seeing though was inevitable. There's simply too much money in College Football now for just a few teams to dominate it anymore. Everybody is getting in on it and hurling money hand over fist at it. That is spreading the talent out more and more across the nation.

It's slowly but surely leveling the playing field.
I’m not really sure how true that is. I think this year is an anomaly just because all of the powerhouses in the CFP era lost a lot of their stars (specifically at QB) from the past couple of years. Clemson lost 2 of their best players ever in Lawrence and Etienne, Bama lost the most efficient passer ever in Mac Jones, Ohio State lost a first round QB, Notre Dame lost their winningest QB ever, Oklahoma fell off some last year after losing Jalen Hurts, and neither Rattler or Caleb Williams have been able to fill the void left by Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts at QB there. Georgia has been the primary beneficiary of those losses because they have an extremely experienced team, especially on defense, and an extremely talented team.

I don’t necessarily think the playing field is being leveled, as there are still very clear differences between the most and least talented teams. I just don’t know if we’ve ever seen this many powers have to replace this many key players in one season. Usually it’s just a couple of the group of 8 or so teams who have a chance to win the title who will have down years. This year it was literally all of them except Georgia. I think UGA will regress some next year, but they’ve placed themselves at the top of the board. As Tech fans we need Clemson, Bama, OSU, Notre Dame, and newly USC to reload quickly, otherwise UGA might rattle off a run of multiple Nattys.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m not really sure how true that is. I think this year is an anomaly just because all of the powerhouses in the CFP era lost a lot of their stars (specifically at QB) from the past couple of years. Clemson lost 2 of their best players ever in Lawrence and Etienne, Bama lost the most efficient passer ever in Mac Jones, Ohio State lost a first round QB, Notre Dame lost their winningest QB ever, Oklahoma fell off some last year after losing Jalen Hurts, and neither Rattler or Caleb Williams have been able to fill the void left by Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts at QB there. Georgia has been the primary beneficiary of those losses because they have an extremely experienced team, especially on defense, and an extremely talented team.

I don’t necessarily think the playing field is being leveled, as there are still very clear differences between the most and least talented teams. I just don’t know if we’ve ever seen this many powers have to replace this many key players in one season. Usually it’s just a couple of the group of 8 or so teams who have a chance to win the title who will have down years. This year it was literally all of them except Georgia. I think UGA will regress some next year, but they’ve placed themselves at the top of the board. As Tech fans we need Clemson, Bama, OSU, Notre Dame, and newly USC to reload quickly, otherwise UGA might rattle off a run of multiple Nattys.
I hate that short of an asteroid hitting Athens there is nothing left to stop uga’s national championship this year. I especially hate it because next year they will not have as clear a path and may never get another chance.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I hate that short of an asteroid hitting Athens there is nothing left to stop uga’s national championship this year. I especially hate it because next year they will not have as clear a path and may never get another chance.

Do not count Bama out. They just had their down week. Even though they lost vs a and M it really wasn't a down week.