uGag, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
uGag this weekend. How good are they?

Too early to know. 6-2 with losses to Jax State and Princeton, two quadrant 3 teams (Warren Nolan).

Picked to come in 5th in East sec (of 7) by D1. Not a projected regional team by D1 either. While I won't waste money on D1 for the SEC extra upgrade (It Just Costs More For Less), the biggest question area is pitching where they were weak last year and lost their best starter and closer but have a lot of highly ranked Fr. Looking at the scores below they do give up runs - but far be it for us to dwell on that since we can too.

Their pitcher Liam Sullivan looks good - 10 IP and 0 ERA. I think he may start Saturday as he has past weekends, but haven't seen.

Friday 6PM, Sat 2PM, Sun TBD?

1677721652114.png

1677722534654.png

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
uGag this weekend. How good are they?

Too early to know. 6-2 with losses to Jax State and Princeton, two quadrant 3 teams (Warren Nolan).

Picked to come in 5th in East sec (of 7) by D1. Not a projected regional team by D1 either. While I won't waste money on D1 for the SEC extra upgrade (It Just Means More For Less), the biggest question area is pitching where they were weak last year and lost their best starter and closer but have a lot of highly ranked Fr. Looking at the scores below they do give up runs - but far be it for us to dwell on that since we can too.

Their pitcher Liam Sullivan looks good - 10 IP and 0 ERA. I think he may start Saturday as he has past weekends, but haven't seen.

Friday 6PM, Sat 2PM, Sun TBD?
Sun game is at 3:00 and televised on SEC Network.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Post game Hall said Dawson start Friday, TBD Saturday, Finley Sunday. Worth watching this clip of Hall, King, Busse. Especially Busse last. Interesting that he started pitching late (Jr?) in HS; he & DBo have added two pitches. With only 14 pitches yesterday, he thinks he could pitch again today. Clear he'll pitch uGag in the 9th any day if we are ahead.

Let's just tell "starter" TBD he's only in for four batters and if he gets three out he gets to keep pitching. Don't know what to call that, Opening Act Pitcher? (like in concerts).

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Current weather forecast for the Friday evening game at Foley Field doesn’t look good.
It will be close, but right now it looks the rain should end before gametime. I don't know for certain, but would expect that UGa has a good grounds crew and a field that drains well. They may push back start time to 7:00, but I expect they'll be able to get the game in. The winds look to be a major factor. 20 mph sustained, gusting to 30 mph.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Seems like I’ve noticed a lot more games this year going fewer than 9 innings for various reasons. Was there a rule change for that?

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like I’ve noticed a lot more games this year going fewer than 9 innings for various reasons. Was there a rule change for that?
I'm not sure about other conferences, but the $EC instituted a "mercy rule" for their conference games this year. The NCAA has a rule that if both coaches consent before the game, the game can be called after 7 innings if one team is ahead by at least 10 runs.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Notes still show TBD for Sat starter.

I'd speculate, but I'd be wrong. Or right because I'd throw out so many names that I couldn't be wrong! So let's speculate!

Logan McGuire if healthy. I don't think he is.
Cam Hill, if healthy. I don't think he is, but don't know.
Finateri, but he threw 21 pitches against KSU, and is a huge bullpen asset.
Samol? Great stuff, needs to throw strikes.
Schmolke, same as Samol, but needs to throw quality strikes when he does throw strikes...

Carwile/Vaughan/King/Siegel? I guess all possibilities, but have all thrown in relief so far. Starter potential here? I'd guess Carwile over the others here.
Busse? Too good in closer role.

Stanford? Would be a strange time to give him his first college innings, but we are GT, so we can do that!

Other than that, I'm at a loss for who we could have start on Saturday.

Just hope for a win Friday and see what the cards hold for Saturday.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd speculate, but I'd be wrong. Or right because I'd throw out so many names that I couldn't be wrong! So let's speculate!

Schmolke, same as Samol, but needs to throw quality strikes when he does throw strikes...

Carwile/Vaughan/King/Siegel? I guess all possibilities, but have all thrown in relief so far. Starter potential here? I'd guess Carwile over the others here.

Stanford? Would be a strange time to give him his first college innings, but we are GT, so we can do that!

Heard a rumor that Stanford is also injured. Anybody heard anything about that?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
It will be close, but right now it looks the rain should end before gametime. I don't know for certain, but would expect that UGa has a good grounds crew and a field that drains well. They may push back start time to 7:00, but I expect they'll be able to get the game in. The winds look to be a major factor. 20 mph sustained, gusting to 30 mph.
Rain timeline is shifting to the right just a tad, so tonight's game is in more jeopardy now than yesterday. Looks like rain should end around 5:00 or 6:00 in Atlanta, meaning probably more like 6:00 or 7:00 in Athens.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Rain timeline is shifting to the right just a tad, so tonight's game is in more jeopardy now than yesterday. Looks like rain should end around 5:00 or 6:00 in Atlanta, meaning probably more like 6:00 or 7:00 in Athens.
National Weather Service showing Atlanta under a Tornado watch until 8 PM?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow

Seems like you'd want somebody with some starting experience so I would guess Carwile and then Finateri. Whoever it is, you'd be happy if they got 4 innings.