uga @ Tech for 2021 COFH

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Mac Bryan, I played @ UGA 83-84. I walked on and earned a scholarship.It was my dream to play for UGA. Will played for GT from 2015 to 2018. My older son, Justin played baseball @ UGA 2011-2012 and Football @ GT 2014. Will committed to GT when he was in the 10th grade, the comments got so bad on the AJC, they took the story down. I got called all kinds of names for "allowing" my Son to commit to GT. UGA came to visit Will at his school to " offer". Wills Coach would not let Todd Grantham pull Will out of class to speak with him. When Will committed, he committed. So I do know both sides. I heard a ton of crap from people who never went to UGA, prob could not spell UGA... I saw what was going on at UGA when Justin was there, and knew I did not want Will to go to UGA. I wanted him to get a world class education and play at the highest level. Both my sons we able to accomplish that. When we first visited GT, my wife and I looked at each other and said, why are we going down there, no way in Hell our son is going to GT. Once we visited, meet Coach Johnson, Derrick Moore, Ted Roof and heard from several players like Freddie Burden. We were impressed. Basically most UGA fans are like Pro fans, they don't give a rats *** about the players, prob cannot name three that played 4 years ago, or find Athens on a map. GT is different. GT fans have a real connection to the school. I respect GT because they have S/A who actually have to bust their *** on the field and in the classroom. So that's kinda my story :). Go Jackets.

Thank you for sharing. Thats an awesome story for sure. Nothing but best wishes and respect to you and yours.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
Not to throw out anything....but if the 1998 and 1999 games were played in current day play review......we would have lost both of those games. In 1998 Joe Hamilton did fumble the ball and it was ruled a non fumble. We all know in 1999 Sanks did not fumble. In my 51 years I have only seen us beat UGA in a fashion where we clearly were the better team. 1984, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2014. The latter one should not have even been close as we bungled the last drive and JT scored instead of fumbling.
Replay would have shown that both Hamilton and the uga
player were out of bounds when it was touched before recovery which would make it a fumble, immediate dead ball when touched, possession reverts back to Tech with no change in the situation. I don't know what was actually called (I never saw a beanbag) but the incompetence of ACC officiating being what it is, they probably screwed it up but ended up with the correct situation.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you. Nothing is more fun that watching a nail bitting game between to teams that actually hate each other. Im looking forward to the " Old Fashioned Hate" game getting back to that. Sooner than later:)

We really need to get back to being competitive with those guys. I'm growing tired of having very little faith of competitive game, let alone a W, only see that small amount dashed by halftime.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Plus, it would help GT. UGA normally has some off the field problems in the summer. Make it a Kick off event in the " Dome" 50/50 attendance.
It would be a dumb move on UGA's part to play their home game in a smaller stadium. That is a revenue loss for them. However I would not be surprised to see Tech move its home game off campus to MBS. I think that is CGC's plan all along, to move all but the smaller games off campus.

It would be a dumb move on UGA's part to play their home game in a smaller stadium. That is a revenue loss for them. However I would not be surprised to see Tech move its home game off campus to MBS. I think that is CGC's plan all along, to move all but the smaller games off campus.
And if that is CGCs plan then it will fall in line with many other stupid ideas....like the money down. Yes, kill tailgating at GT....yes always play in a stadium were you are the visiting team when you should have been the home team . Yes give up ticket revenue.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Mac Bryan, I played @ UGA 83-84. I walked on and earned a scholarship.It was my dream to play for UGA. Will played for GT from 2015 to 2018. My older son, Justin played baseball @ UGA 2011-2012 and Football @ GT 2014. Will committed to GT when he was in the 10th grade, the comments got so bad on the AJC, they took the story down. I got called all kinds of names for "allowing" my Son to commit to GT. UGA came to visit Will at his school to " offer". Wills Coach would not let Todd Grantham pull Will out of class to speak with him. When Will committed, he committed. So I do know both sides. I heard a ton of crap from people who never went to UGA, prob could not spell UGA... I saw what was going on at UGA when Justin was there, and knew I did not want Will to go to UGA. I wanted him to get a world class education and play at the highest level. Both my sons we able to accomplish that. When we first visited GT, my wife and I looked at each other and said, why are we going down there, no way in Hell our son is going to GT. Once we visited, meet Coach Johnson, Derrick Moore, Ted Roof and heard from several players like Freddie Burden. We were impressed. Basically most UGA fans are like Pro fans, they don't give a rats *** about the players, prob cannot name three that played 4 years ago, or find Athens on a map. GT is different. GT fans have a real connection to the school. I respect GT because they have S/A who actually have to bust their *** on the field and in the classroom. So that's kinda my story :). Go Jackets.
I don’t think I can like this posting enough. Thank you

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
I think for Kirby it’s less about the revenue and more about getting recruits in Athens. He already loses a home game with UF that he’s not happy about so losing another recruiting weekend would hurt much more than the money.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
What was going on at UGA?
Drugs... Players that I wont mention sleeping thru classes and making A's... Just a total mess. Zero accountability. Not all the players, we got to know some great young men, Chris Conley, Ray Drew very nice respectful young men. The prob was the 10 % that were total trash that UGA recruits. I saw it first hand and did not want Will going there. Kinda heartbreaking at the time. Since I was a lifetime UGA person. CMR, thought he could change people. Like adopting a fighting pit bull and acting surprised when it attacks your child.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Drugs... Players that I wont mention sleeping thru classes and making A's... Just a total mess. Zero accountability. Not all the players, we got to know some great young men, Chris Conley, Ray Drew very nice respectful young men. The prob was the 10 % that were total trash that UGA recruits. I saw it first hand and did not want Will going there. Kinda heartbreaking at the time. Since I was a lifetime UGA person. CMR, thought he could change people. Like adopting a fighting pit bull and acting surprised when it attacks your child.

For people that complain about GT's hurdles, remember, this post. Our hurdles are also a good way to filter out the kids who do not belong in our locker room. Sure, we probably lose out on some REALLY good players, but sometimes that's a blessing. There are more than enough guys like Calvin Johnson, Shaq Mason, Jahmyr Gibbs, and Will Bryan who want more than just football. Guys who come to GT want more out of life than just football...and they act like it on and off the field.

I've said for years that there's more than enough elite level SAs that want to play high level football as well as get a high level education. For any of those elite SAs that want a high level education living in the Southeast, especially in GA, GT should always be in the top 5. GT has to give those kids a reason to want to come here...and it looks like that tide is beginning to turn in our favor under CGC.

There are plenty of elite level SAs that care for more than just football. GT has everything those kids could want: Playing against high level competition, WORLD ranked education, and almost infinite professional opportunities in Atlanta. GT fans need to stop selling our school short.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
For people that complain about GT's hurdles, remember, this post. Our hurdles are also a good way to filter out the kids who do not belong in our locker room. Sure, we probably lose out on some REALLY good players, but sometimes that's a blessing. There are more than enough guys like Calvin Johnson, Shaq Mason, Jahmyr Gibbs, and Will Bryan who want more than just football. Guys who come to GT want more out of life than just football...and they act like it on and off the field.

I've said for years that there's more than enough elite level SAs that want to play high level football as well as get a high level education. For any of those elite SAs that want a high level education living in the Southeast, especially in GA, GT should always be in the top 5. GT has to give those kids a reason to want to come here...and it looks like that tide is beginning to turn in our favor under CGC.

There are plenty of elite level SAs that care for more than just football. GT has everything those kids could want: Playing against high level competition, WORLD ranked education, and almost infinite professional opportunities in Atlanta. GT fans need to stop selling our school short.

If we had an actual education degree we'd never have a problem again. Even if it required calculus 1 and 2. Honestly the reason we can't have one is the BOR and uga, because it makes perfect damn sense. We'd make the best STEM teachers. And Coaching at a highschool level usually requires some form of education degree or certification.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we had an actual education degree we'd never have a problem again. Even if it required calculus 1 and 2. Honestly the reason we can't have one is the BOR and uga, because it makes perfect damn sense. We'd make the best STEM teachers. And Coaching at a highschool level usually requires some form of education degree or certification.
I don't know who was representing Tech's interest during the BOR negotiations that got UGA an engineering degree offering, but the fact that the pups can offer engineering degrees, yet we don't have an education degree (despite a massive need for STEM teachers) still makes me hot under the collar. Sometimes I want to sue them for malpractice on behalf of the state.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't know who was representing Tech's interest during the BOR negotiations that got UGA an engineering degree offering, but the fact that the pups can offer engineering degrees, yet we don't have an education degree (despite a massive need for STEM teachers) still makes me hot under the collar. Sometimes I want to sue them for malpractice on behalf of the state.
OTOH, do you remember the quality of instruction at the school? If it weren't for the curve, there might be 40 living alumni of the school. You could hold a class reunion in a single booth at the V. Do we want those people on North Avenue teaching others how to teach? I am not sure if I am kidding here or not tbh. :confused:

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
OTOH, do you remember the quality of instruction at the school? If it weren't for the curve, there might be 40 living alumni of the school. You could hold a class reunion in a single booth at the V. Do we want those people on North Avenue teaching others how to teach? I am not sure if I am kidding here or not tbh. :confused:

The most common thing I encounter in the professional world that sets GT grads apart from other graduates is learning how too fail and recover. GT teaches that easily and it probably the most important lesson anyone can actually learn. If we had an education department we would have professors that come from somewhere else to start with I mean how many GT professors actually attended as well?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Lifelong friend of mine (going on 25 years now) played at UGA 2003-2007 and had shared experiences with the issues there. Lots of good guys and he thought CMR was a helluva coach and even better person, but the bad apples for toxic

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What I remember was most students would then get with classmates afterward and figure out what they had missed on the tests. At least in EE for the most part. Thank God for partial credit.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The most common thing I encounter in the professional world that sets GT grads apart from other graduates is learning how too fail and recover. GT teaches that easily and it probably the most important lesson anyone can actually learn. If we had an education department we would have professors that come from somewhere else to start with I mean how many GT professors actually attended as well?

I am grateful for my time at Ma Tech. Like you and others have the said, the material is probably less important in the long run than the secondary lessons taught - how to grind, persevere, overcome obstacles, finding other ways to be successful, etc. But the teaching style there is only applicable to the top 5-10% of the normal curve. The rank and file would fall by the wayside, as did many of our peers who could not or would not adapt.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I am giving myself a warning for going off topic here.