uga @ Tech for 2021 COFH

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't understand the condescension when someone who has lived the story at the highest levels weighs in. What you need to remember is that the average joe doesn't really matter for a rivalry. Its the money people and those with clout that matter. Let uga lose to Tech 3X in a row and see how long Kirby lasts, even if they play in the SEC Championship game each year. Yeah, when they lose to Tech, it matters. Ask Jim Donnan.

He went 9-3, 8.4, and 8-4 and ended the season ranked in the Top20, losing to GT all three years, and was fired.

Not condescending at all. It's a matter of opinion. The Donnan years, UGA was our equal as we recruited just as good as them and it was very much a rivalry. The flea77 guy seems to think his opinion carries more weight. It's all anecdotal. The UGag fans I know, and I know a lot, including half of my family, all feel like Tech isn't worth their time and they don't spend much time worrying about the rivalry since it's very lopsided. We have won 3 games since 2000 against that team. When UGag was beating Florida at a similar clip, every one poked fun at them for it. The fact of the matter is, whether we like it or not, is that UGA fans view us below a handful of SEC teams on the list of rivals. My Uncle is a big time donor/alum for UGA and my aunt (his sister) is very close to Jere Morehead and was even closer to Michael Adams before Jere. Both of them have confirmed that there are plenty of big pocket types that would happily do away with the Tech game. Many fans feel the same way.

Now, the other fella, who seems to be a tad wound up over this may know people who feel differently.

We just have a difference of opinion, but he seems a little upset over mine..I also played college ball, granted it was small college ball in Tennessee, before coming home to Tech in honor of my father.

Last edited:
Not condescending at all. It's a matter of opinion. The Donnan years, UGA was our equal as we recruited just as good as them and it was very much a rivalry. The flea77 guy seems to think his opinion carries more weight. It's all anecdotal. The UGag fans I know, and I know a lot, including half of my family, all feel like Tech isn't worth their time and they don't spend much time worrying about the rivalry since it's very lopsided. We have won 3 games since 2000 against that team. When UGag was beating Florida at a similar clip, every one poked fun at them for it. The fact of the matter is, whether we like it or not, is that UGA fans view us below a handful of SEC teams on the list of rivals. My Uncle is a big time donor/alum for UGA and my aunt (his sister) is very close to Jere Morehead and was even closer to Michael Adams before Jere. Both of them have confirmed that there are plenty of big pocket types that would happily do away with the Tech game. Many fans feel the same way.

Now, the other fella, who seems to be a tad wound up over this may know people who feel differently.

We just have a difference of opinion, but he seems a little upset over mine..I also played college ball, granted it was small college ball in Tennessee, before coming home to Tech in honor of my father.
Not to throw out anything....but if the 1998 and 1999 games were played in current day play review......we would have lost both of those games. In 1998 Joe Hamilton did fumble the ball and it was ruled a non fumble. We all know in 1999 Sanks did not fumble. In my 51 years I have only seen us beat UGA in a fashion where we clearly were the better team. 1984, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2014. The latter one should not have even been close as we bungled the last drive and JT scored instead of fumbling.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to throw out anything....but if the 1998 and 1999 games were played in current day play review......we would have lost both of those games. In 1998 Joe Hamilton did fumble the ball and it was ruled a non fumble. We all know in 1999 Sanks did not fumble. In my 51 years I have only seen us beat UGA in a fashion where we clearly were the better team. 1984, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2014. The latter one should not have even been close as we bungled the last drive and JT scored instead of fumbling.

Yep. Agreed. Also, in 2014, had Richt not gone full idiot and squib kicked the ball at the end of the game we lose that one too, though overall we were the better team.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't understand the condescension when someone who has lived the story at the highest levels weighs in. What you need to remember is that the average joe doesn't really matter for a rivalry. Its the money people and those with clout that matter. Let uga lose to Tech 3X in a row and see how long Kirby lasts, even if they play in the SEC Championship game each year. Yeah, when they lose to Tech, it matters. Ask Jim Donnan.

He went 9-3, 8.4, and 8-4 and ended the season ranked in the Top20, losing to GT all three years, and was fired.
When UGA loses to GT it matters, when they win it is expected and not really a big deal.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
When UGA loses to GT it matters, when they win it is expected and not really a big deal.

I agree, but that's no different than losing to any team on X schedule. Of course fans hate losing. That's the nature of sports. Win and everyone is happy. Lose, and everyone is pissed. It's the overall perception of the rivalry I'm talking about. They have dominated us for the last 2 decades ( the last 3 by scores larger than seen before in my life time) to the point many of their fans feel it isn't a rivalry, at least not one they're worried about. Its more a trap game to them now. They think of us as an automatic W on the schedule similar to Vanderbilt for the most part. There have been several discussions from their brass, from what I know, about doing away with the game. Whether that happens, is very slim, but until we win a few in a row or at least get back to playing them within a score or 2, we aren't a concern for them. UGag is talked about daily here. I doubt they talk about us much at all.

We gotta beat them and get the respect back.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Good story. Thanks for sharing!
Its good for the game of college football to keep in state rival games. Hopefully this series will be competitive again soon. It will make your Thanksgivings much better :). Go Jackets.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 7.53.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 7.53.06 AM.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 26

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Interesting thread.

I don’t want to end the rivalry but ... would like to play it early in the season. It mattered as a season ending SEC game, but that was decades ago. No, let’s make it the first game. I think that would be an exciting way to start the season.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting thread.

I don’t want to end the rivalry but ... would like to play it early in the season. It mattered as a season ending SEC game, but that was decades ago. No, let’s make it the first game. I think that would be an exciting way to start the season.
Plus, it would help GT. UGA normally has some off the field problems in the summer. Make it a Kick off event in the " Dome" 50/50 attendance.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

His opinion carries a lot of weight with me, especially on this subject.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Hamilton did fumble the ball, but the uga player was out of bounds when he “recovered” it, so our ball.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
As mentioned above, we still would've won in 1998. We would've won 1997 with the error calling PI when the ball was touched upfield of the receiver. And in 1999, it never would've come to that with all the crazy calls made to keep UGa in the game.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
And thats totally fine. Never said he was wrong nor that his was misinformed. Just a simple difference in who we know and talk too.
The Georgia fans I know worry that Tech can pull the upset. They hate Paul Johnson and his high school offense. Lots of false bravado about ending the series. The recent years Tech pulled the upset were miserable for them.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
1995, GT vs UGA. me and a friend who is a huge UGA fan walked into the stadium with the team. I had some "Team Gear". We wondered around for 2 1/2 hours and had pulled it off until we started talking w the CarQuest Bowl folks on the field. I did not know who Homer Rice was... The police made us leave the field ( no passes or tickets) but did not kick us out of the stadium. We moved from seat to seat, until we finally gave up and left. Watched the end of the game from home. Another time, one of the UGA Strength coaches , let me and both my sons use his pass to sneak onto the sidelines. Passing it back and forth over the hedges. We stood next to " Snakes on a Plane" Samual Jackson. I have been to many UGA and GT games. The most exciting game is always GT vs UGA. It will always be the most important game of the year. My all time favorite was 2016 watching as a parent w the 94 yard drive to get within one score, then the "dive". Younger Ga fans or the ( attention walmart shoppers) prob don't understand. Coach Dooley always said "They Only Remember November". The three most important games on the schedule Fla, Aub and GT. Honestly its all in GT's hands. GT has to get competitive w UGA again. Its over 100 years of Clean Old-Fashioned HATE.

Attachments

• D5344E53-7B5F-44D6-A9CC-FA1A314D7517.jpeg
    D5344E53-7B5F-44D6-A9CC-FA1A314D7517.jpeg
    855.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 15439849_10209351146267997_6477120814807998020_n-1.jpg
    15439849_10209351146267997_6477120814807998020_n-1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 184E003B-4871-461C-8EE7-E4A538481D82.jpeg
    184E003B-4871-461C-8EE7-E4A538481D82.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
The Georgia fans I know worry that Tech can pull the upset. They hate Paul Johnson and his high school offense. Lots of false bravado about ending the series. The recent years Tech pulled the upset were miserable for them.

Again, of course a loss is going to make fans mad. I've never seen a loss by any team where fans said "golly gee, no big deal, because it was X team" but as far as this rivalry goes many of their fans, ignorant or not, graduates or not, don't view us as a rival anymore and would happily do away with the game altogether. Whether that ever happens is probably slim to none with slim walking out the door. However, it's a topic that is brought up a decent amount among the UGag brass. The good news is Kirby, since he played in the rivalry, loves it, from what I hear and he pretty much calls the shots.

We've won 3 games since 2020 and that gap is as wide as its ever been the last 3 years. They view us on a similar level as Vandy right now.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
1995, GT vs UGA. me and a friend who is a huge UGA fan walked into the stadium with the team. I had some "Team Gear". We wondered around for 2 1/2 hours and had pulled it off until we started talking w the CarQuest Bowl folks on the field. I did not know who Homer Rice was... The police made us leave the field ( no passes or tickets) but did not kick us out of the stadium. We moved from seat to seat, until we finally gave up and left. Watched the end of the game from home. Another time, one of the UGA Strength coaches , let me and both my sons use his pass to sneak onto the sidelines. Passing it back and forth over the hedges. We stood next to " Snakes on a Plane" Samual Jackson. I have been to many UGA and GT games. The most exciting game is always GT vs UGA. It will always be the most important game of the year. My all time favorite was 2016 watching as a parent w the 94 yard drive to get within one score, then the "dive". Younger Ga fans or the ( attention walmart shoppers) prob don't understand. Coach Dooley always said "They Only Remember November". The three most important games on the schedule Fla, Aub and GT. Honestly its all in GT's hands. GT has to get competitive w UGA again. Its over 100 years of Clean Old-Fashioned HATE.

Do you mind me asking who you are? You seem very passionate about it and obviously seemed to have been a part on both sides. If you prefer not to share, I understand.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Do you mind me asking who you are? You seem very passionate about it and obviously seemed to have been a part on both sides. If you prefer not to share, I understand.
First he played for uga his son played for us and was a 4 year starter. He is now a Tech fan and a big part of the Tech family . Great family and I do believe he and his family still come to the Tech games great family

There are other parents and former players on here

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Mac Bryan, I played @ UGA 83-84. I walked on and earned a scholarship.It was my dream to play for UGA. Will played for GT from 2015 to 2018. My older son, Justin played baseball @ UGA 2011-2012 and Football @ GT 2014. Will committed to GT when he was in the 10th grade, the comments got so bad on the AJC, they took the story down. I got called all kinds of names for "allowing" my Son to commit to GT. UGA came to visit Will at his school to " offer". Wills Coach would not let Todd Grantham pull Will out of class to speak with him. When Will committed, he committed. So I do know both sides. I heard a ton of crap from people who never went to UGA, prob could not spell UGA... I saw what was going on at UGA when Justin was there, and knew I did not want Will to go to UGA. I wanted him to get a world class education and play at the highest level. Both my sons we able to accomplish that. When we first visited GT, my wife and I looked at each other and said, why are we going down there, no way in Hell our son is going to GT. Once we visited, meet Coach Johnson, Derrick Moore, Ted Roof and heard from several players like Freddie Burden. We were impressed. Basically most UGA fans are like Pro fans, they don't give a rats *** about the players, prob cannot name three that played 4 years ago, or find Athens on a map. GT is different. GT fans have a real connection to the school. I respect GT because they have S/A who actually have to bust their *** on the field and in the classroom. So that's kinda my story :). Go Jackets.