UGA - SunTrust Park

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So giddy after sweeping Pitt... almost forgot we play a 4th game in 4 days tonight. Need this win for the obvious reason... its UGA. ...and just cannot let a #100 RPI (currently) Georgia team beat us 3 times in a season.

Ben S gets the start. We have Datoc and Carpenter available. I assume Ryan is not available. To HELL with Georgia!!!

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Not to out best the stat guys on here but this year, ugag has beat us immediately following one of their losses. They are coming off a win from Kentucky this time.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am thinking of going.....if we simply don't beat ourselves, I will be content. Ben hasn't had the best control, so if he starts walking guys, I'll probably exit early in frustration.....but maybe, just maybe, he'll turn in a Jake Lee type of performance where he doesn't walk guys. (he has walked 1 of every 6 batters faced so far, but Lee wasn't far off from that ratio before last night's gem).

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
This AJC article (referencing Boyd's World data) suggests that winning 6 more (in any combination) should keep us above an RPI of 45. As Ken says, if we can avoid the sweep against the mutts, does that actually put us in contention for an at-large?

I feel like the end of basketball season all over again, wearing my gold-colored glasses, trying to see what it takes to make the postseason.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It would take a lot.......losing to a team like UGa with their RPI of 100 would hurt....alot. It would be like losing to BC in basketball at the end of that season.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This AJC article (referencing Boyd's World data) suggests that winning 6 more (in any combination) should keep us above an RPI of 45. As Ken says, if we can avoid the sweep against the mutts, does that actually put us in contention for an at-large?

I feel like the end of basketball season all over again, wearing my gold-colored glasses, trying to see what it takes to make the postseason.

I think to have a decent shot at an at large we need to finish with 14 wins in conference play. That has seemed to be the bar the past few years. That means we have to go 5-1 in our last 6 conference games which is a pretty tall task. I think we can do it but I wouldn't put money on it. We might possibly be able to get some consideration with 13 wins and a great showing in the conference tourney but that'd be a hard case to make. I don't think the game tonight is going to have a huge impact on whether we get in either way.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Every time I begin to think we have improved, I go to see a game and leave disgusted. This team does not deserve any post season consideration.

Putting aside our usual pitching problems like walks who wind up scoring and WP's......I wonder why it is conventional baseball wisdom to put big hitters who strike out often like Johnson and Poje in the center of the order. I would rather put my 6 best contact hitters in the top 6 spots and put these "all or nothing" guys deeper down.

I found it interesting how long Hall stuck with Connor Thomas. To be fair, Thomas had some rough luck with 3 infield hits against him....but he also did not throw a very high ratio of strikes.

On a side note, I was very disappointed by the new ballpark, which should be called Turner Field II. Aside from the mini Six Flags in the outfield, it was extremely similar to Turner Field, down to the seats themselves. Signage was poor and hard to follow in the streets around the stadium unless you knew it already. (One sign said E-31 left and E-45 right....what the heck did that mean?) Totally not impressed and doubt I'll make the trek out to any live Braves games. Oh, and $10 hot dogs don't help either.