UGa sprinter impales himself

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
"University of Georgia athlete Elija Godwin suffered a horror injury as he impaled himself on a javelin during a training drill, being rushed to hospital with part of the object still lodged in his back."
Expects full recovery.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Everything I've read says he will be fine.

Was jogging backward and fell on it. They had to saw off part of it so he fit in the ambulance apparently. That probably hurt worse than the thing actually going in.

I help coach javelin at our local track club. We tape off the infield and keep everyone out. I don't know why someone was training on an active javelin sector, much less without looking where they were going. It was extremely lucky this wasn't a worse outcome than it was (I read he will be fine). What he did was basically run into an outstretched sword. Awful.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I help coach javelin at our local track club. We tape off the infield and keep everyone out. I don't know why someone was training on an active javelin sector, much less without looking where they were going. It was extremely lucky this wasn't a worse outcome than it was (I read he will be fine). What he did was basically run into an outstretched sword. Awful.
I read that the track guys were doing sprints running backwards. This is done commonly in track to work different muscle groups that better support forward running. My understanding was that he was impaled while still on the inside lane of the track. My assumption is that there is no way the javelin should have been where it was.

Deleted member 2897

I read that the track guys were doing sprints running backwards. This is done commonly in track to work different muscle groups that better support forward running. My understanding was that he was impaled while still on the inside lane of the track. My assumption is that there is no way the javelin should have been where it was.

If that’s where the javelin was, they have big problems over there with their controls and track monitoring.