UGA Geographic Confusion (again)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Will be interesting to see if Athens people start realizing U(sic)GA is basically calling Athens the little brother city to our homebase.. I would think people would be all about keeping it local and do Athens based campaigns.. Guess we can really make moves when we retake the city.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see if Athens people start realizing U(sic)GA is basically calling Athens the little brother city to our homebase.. I would think people would be all about keeping it local and do Athens based campaigns.. Guess we can really make moves when we retake the city.
They already are realizing it, but their counterpoint is, “well we run the state and own Atlanta too, so it’s ok.” Tech HAS to win a game in Atlanta soon, and we need to win 2 out 3 again soon as well. Going back-to-back would be huge for changing the perception of the state.

Deleted member 2897

They already are realizing it, but their counterpoint is, “well we run the state and own Atlanta too, so it’s ok.” Tech HAS to win a game in Atlanta soon, and we need to win 2 out 3 again soon as well. Going back-to-back would be huge for changing the perception of the state.

Over the last dozen years or so, we've played them even (3-3) in Athens. So we could just as easily say that we run the cesspool. But where's the fun in saying you've ruined quite a few seasons of a disgusting revolting franchise?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Over the last dozen years or so, we've played them even (3-3) in Athens. So we could just as easily say that we run the cesspool. But where's the fun in saying you've ruined quite a few seasons of a disgusting revolting franchise?
I agree that 3-3 in Athens is more than respectable, and is just as good if not better than many of their “bigger” SEC rivals. But 0-10 in Atlanta since the turn of the century is embarrassing and needs to change sooner ,rather than later, if Tech ever wants to get any love in the local media again.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

If we start winning against them 2-3 in a row or threatening for a title when they are out of the picture or something, it'll start crumbling for them. Otherwise it's just good for some laughs.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, there is a large cow paddy he's standing in and Atlanta is far away in the background. Pretty representative of how it will be when he's in Little a.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I still can’t believe I’m 28 and don’t recall the last time Tech won against them in Atlanta. I was 10 maybe? The last time was in 2000? Or 01?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I still can’t believe I’m 28 and don’t recall the last time Tech won against them in Atlanta. I was 10 maybe? The last time was in 2000? Or 01?
‘99. I was 1. Anybody 30 and younger has seen Tech beat UGA once in Atlanta. The next most recent was in ‘89. 4-21 in Atlanta since 1970.... yikes. 9-16 in Athens since ‘70. If we played them as well at home as we did on the road the series would be respectable.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
‘99. I was 1. Anybody 30 and younger has seen Tech beat UGA once in Atlanta. The next most recent was in ‘89. 4-21 in Atlanta since 1970.... yikes. 9-16 in Athens since ‘70. If we played them as well at home as we did on the road the series would be respectable.
Oooof. I love our boys but jeeeesh. That is pathetic.
We definitely need to turn it around. I’ve been trying to make it to as many COFH games in Atlanta to witness it but I keep getting disappointed every other year lol

Collins HAD to know that is embarrassing and needs to be flipped

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Thanksgiving 1999. 51- 48 in one of the craziest games ever. The game was just on ACC Network this week. Maybe you can still catch a replay.

/

It was Saturday, not Thanksgiving day. I was there. I was a RAT. Last UGA game I attended (sorry guys, I only get a chance to go to about 2/yr since I've been back in ATL). Maybe I need to start going again for the order of the universe and such.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
UGA does own the state. COFH was more relevant when both teams were in the SEC.

Covid is going to wipe out a lot of fan base who are over 60. We are increasingly going to look like Vandy. While poking fun at UGA is fun ... Both teams have evolved in dramatically different directions that when I was a student. I am really wondering what the 2021 season will look like and if a long-term shake up is coming.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t won in Atlanta since I been alive let them use it if they want.

1598033252493.gif

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, there is a large cow paddy he's standing in and Atlanta is far away in the background. Pretty representative of how it will be when he's in Little a.
Also looks like there’s a large canyon separating where he is from the city of Atlanta. The Great Divide?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This is kind of the issue our BBAll team is fighting. Most basketball recruits these days probably don't remember ever seeing us play in the NCAA tournament. They don't know that GT use to be an NCAA tournament regular with 2 Final Fours.