UCLA Commit Scores 92 in HS Game

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hmm. So LaMelo Ball, sophomore younger brother of current UCLA star Lonzo Ball, scored 92 points in a HS game. 8 minute quarters.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...brother-lonzo-ball-scores-92-high-school-game

Amazing, right? Welllll, to me ... that's bush league man. The kid said the performance was dedicated to a sick classmate but, having seen some of the stuff the dad has said, I'm not sure I buy that. They lost their previous game to Oak Hill. I'd say it's more likely that this was a bounce back performance of sorts.

Per the opposing coach, Ball's teammates were fouling on purpose to keep them from running out the clock and to allow the kid to keep shooting. Kid's talented but that just doesn't feel right.

All 3 Ball boys are talented and will likely play in the league. That's remarkable. However, their 'handling' has been ... shall we say, odd. 2 of the kids are still in HS, LiAngelo (sr) and LaMelo (so). Apparently LiAngelo has been held out the past few games for "rest" to get ready for the playoffs. Really? In high school? C'mon, man.

Maybe I'm overreacting. They all seem like good kids, as far as I've seen. Their dad is kinda extra. That's the best way I can put it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's too bad that Josh Pastner can't turn him and get him to come to Georgia Tech!;)

Hmmm, I have a feeling the Ball we'd want is gonna be in the league next year. I'm not as high on the younger 2. They appear to be JMHO solid multi-year college players, but they'll come with #1-pick level hype/baggage.

Dealing with them will be a bear for Alford. Get it? Bruin ... bear. I'm here all week, folks. Tip your waitresses.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm, I have a feeling the Ball we'd want is gonna be in the league next year. I'm not as high on the younger 2. They appear to be JMHO solid multi-year college players, but they'll come with #1-pick level hype/baggage.

Dealing with them will be a bear for Alford. Get it? Bruin ... bear. I'm here all week, folks. Tip your waitresses.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:(y)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Highlights(sic) of this performance.

Yuck. At some point the kid just has to be embarrassed at this, doesn't he?

Flashes of James Harden

upload_2017-2-8_12-45-26.png

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Ball family....man, just get your popcorn ready for the next 5 years. Chances are one of them is going to be a REALLY good player (my money is on Lonzo), one is going to be journeyman, and they other is going to be Marcus Vick. Daddy Ball is going to be the first helicopter dad banned from every NBA arena.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01

Maybe this explains 92 points and no D

LaVar Ball wants to package 3 sons for $1 billion shoe deal

Don't hate the quote. Hate the game.

I can't decide if he's a master marketer or just a blowhard. I'm leaning blowhard tho.

I'm not even sold on Lonzo yet. His jumper is broke.

His form is broken but he's not an awful jumpshooter. I think he'll be the pick of the litter but IMHO his ceiling is just 'solid NBA player'. That's not bad, just well short of the transcendent title his father is pushing.

I doubt the others will be that good. I'm expecting the middle guy to top out as draftee/dleaguer type. I expect the 3rd to be a Marcus Teague type. Will make it but not stick. JMHO.

@Techster might have it pegged though although I wouldn't wish Marcus Vick-status on anyone.