Type of Defense CTR runs

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Multiply aggressive, he calls it. It be a 4-3 base but will alo use some 3-4 sets. He likes to use his front 7 to apply pressure on the qb and stop the run with the hope that the secondary can run a ot of man coverage. At psu last year, hissecondary was young and really needed to run zone more than his druthers, imo. Roof also eemphasizes take aways

Being multiple means not only chamging sets but changing blitz and cover packages to lessen predictability

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Here is a quote from a PSU player last year talking about when Roof first took over

"On Thursday, Penn State free safety Malcolm Willis explained some of the differences in defensive philosophy enacted by new coordinator Ted Roof.

These include playing at higher temp,, lots of pre-snap movement and a more physical, intense atmosphere.

Willis was excited about the changes and explained how he was eager to, "make plays in space and play with anybody."

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Im really excited what CTR will bring to this team I have a very good feeling about him I also love how much he wants to be here

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the type of excitement I had when Mike Nolan came to the Falcons. I love the multiple looks to confuse an offense and I hope our defense can be successful in the same manner.

GaTechYellowJackets

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope he shows a little balance in his playbook. I don't want to see blitzes ALL the time. Don't want it so predictable that a screen or tight end obliterate us.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yikes:
"At Auburn, Roof's teams ranked 68th in total defense in 2009, 60th in 2010 and 81st in 2011. The Tigers allowed more than 30 points seven times and more than 40 points three times this past season. At Minnesota in 2008, his defense ranked 80th. At Duke in 2002 and '03, his defenses ranked 65th and 57th, respectively. At Georgia Tech, his defenses ranked 100th in 1999, 70th in 2000 and 32nd in 2001"

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
As noted in that article and by several of my Auburn friends...Roof did not have control of his D at Auburn. Chizik was over it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
As noted in that article and by several of my Auburn friends...Roof did not have control of his D at Auburn. Chizik was over it.
Yeah, but it's not missed on me that the other defenses he coached are poorly ranked as well. Penn St is the only defense he's coached that was ranked in the top 25. That's not a very good track record.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but it's not missed on me that the other defenses he coached are poorly ranked as well. Penn St is the only defense he's coached that was ranked in the top 25. That's not a very good track record.

You mlght want to consider that duke and minn had other factors besides dc affecting their ranking.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I will be honest. I was not crazy about CTR's defense when he was here last. But, I am hopeful that this go around it will be improved. I feel like he has gained more experience from the stops along the way. I also feel like we can't be much worse that we were with CAG. jmo.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn't his most recent stop be the most telling? Also didn't the PSU defense improve immensely during that time?

No. Duke and Minn showed sig improvement with Ted as new DC. PSU basically held serve, dropped off slightly. But, they were a very good D under Bradley and lost a lot in their secondary going into last year. I think they did improve against the run.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No. Duke and Minn showed sig improvement with Ted as new DC. PSU basically held serve, dropped off slightly. But, they were a very good D under Bradley and lost a lot in their secondary going into last year. I think they did improve against the run.
Under Roof's watch, Penn State was second in the Big Ten in scoring defense (19.1 points), first in sacks (34) and first in red-zone defense. He was also instrumental in opening up recruiting avenues in the South for Penn State, including backup quarterback Steven Bench.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...-tech-defensive-coordinator.ap/#ixzz2bm5x9fRr

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm just making a note that there are a number of red flags that are getting over looked here. I understand everyone's excited for the upcoming season, but I'm tempering my expectations.