Ty Griffin

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss for the program. He would have been behind JT for the next 3 seasons barring injury. Maybe he just wants a better opportunity to play.
He will give Carvell or someone an interview and maybe we will learn something.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. So I'll just keep my "lack of knowledge" to myself.

But I'll say this. I wouldn't be surprised if Eric knew of this much earlier than today. I know "some people" knew the weekend of the spring game that this was going to happen.

Is this why the scholly for Tim Byerly was available?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tough loss for the program.

I wouldn't call it a tough loss yet. What constitutes a tough loss? 3rd string QB who many predicted would change positions?

He would have been behind JT for the next 3 seasons barring injury.

He also would have been behind Byerly for the next two, and battling with MJ and possibly Ratliffe next year. I hate to lose a great athlete, and so far he's said or done nothing to invite criticism from any Tech fans, but 3rd sting QBs transfer everywhere! In fact, somebody probably has the time to look up QB transfers at BCS schools for the past few years. I'm betting there's been at least one at ALL of them, and I'd also bet its the position that sees the most transfers.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Agree that it's not a "tough" loss. Disappoint lose, yes. Hate to lose a local kid.
From what I've read from fthe folks here and other places, unless he was going to AB next year, didn't really expect to see a lot of playing time.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If you are bickering with someone all the time and are tired of seeing/hearing what they post then please use the ignore feature...that is why we have it!

Back to Ty...

That works great, but it's a little confusing sometimes because now it seems like Dressedcheese is arguing with himself all the time lol

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Now riddle me this, how is a kid who could not even crack the depth chart at GT going to earn a scholarship to attend the vaunted Oregon program? They may take him but I doubt as a scholarship player. You know they have 5 star's stacked 3 deep ;) and Ty was barely a 2 star. More likely he ends up somewhere like the last QB transfer, some D2 or small D1 school. One less Griffin to keep up with:yawn:.

Go Jackets!
I agree that this kid better speed up if he is going to play at Oregon the only back we have that Oregon would want is JT

Oregon subject does bring up a perfect issue with recruiting on national scale .
Oregen recruits local as do all programs but hits California and the southeast and Texas. Texas 5 - on roster are from big cities of Houston and Dallas's surrounding counties ( good schools ) = 2 from fort bend county ( fastest growing county in usa) 1 from near NASA, and 2 from Arlington. These kids are all top recruits and leave Texas big city area with lots of local factory programs ( Texas, tex a m ) to play against none Texas teams . There are plenty of targets of opportunity here.

Surely we could reorient our recruiting to include Dallas and Houston on regular basis. The large alumni chapters here recruit for students.
The flights to from Atlanta are cheap . First send a lower level recruiter show the gt flag with 2 night 3 day trip and hit both areas monthly for a start. Then move to a more serious recruiting effort hitting the schools and coaches with potential. Take to a full week and drive up hwy 59 from Houston to Tyler Texas then Dallas on i20 to cover east Texas. My son coaches in east Texas has coached two in nfl and the current starting lb at university of Texas. He has fellow coaches he knows that would filter out the non tech kids. Here gt is greatly respected in academics and football. Atlanta could be a big positive as well for recruits we want.
Oregon has a pipeline from Texas with zero alumni base in Texas.

Recruiting money spent on Texas major cities is money well spent. Once we get one, then we will get two.

We must beat uga.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Why go through spring if you are going to transfer?
Was school difficulty apart of the transfer?
Oregon might be using this to get his brother?
CPJ praise might have been a way to try and keep him?
2s did not score. Ty did have a few good runs, but he was no redshirt freshman JT or Vad . I would have liked to see him at AB.
We lost what looked to be a good player, but we did not loose a Laskey, Gotsis, Shaq, Smelter, Golden, or Butker

I am on a bruiser kick for QB and MJ looks to be of the Byerly type.

In this offense, I had personally rather have a bruiser QB than a burner. Again jmo.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Agree that it's not a "tough" loss. Disappoint lose, yes. Hate to lose a local kid.
From what I've read from fthe folks here and other places, unless he was going to AB next year, didn't really expect to see a lot of playing time.

IMO its not a tough loss. Period.
But in regards to AB or position he would have ended up at... He looked fairly comfortable in the offense at QB imo.
But anyway its neither here nor there... The kid is gone. It just opens the path for MJ that much more.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Its never been out the window, i think CPJ has been selling to our QB recruits that we're gonna throw the ball more and run different packages. Thats what I was saying is out the window

That's EXACTLY what he has been telling recruits, is that they will throw more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ty Griffin will hurt more this year because, heaven forbid, if JT and TB get hurt we'll have to pull MJ's redshirt. I think CPJ will play Brady Swilling in blowouts and not expose MJ. However, I think MJ will be playing if he needs to in a close game and both #1 & #2 cant play...or CPJ may even have Synjyn take snaps at QB during practice just in case.

Where Ty leaving hurts us in the future is if there's any attrition or our QB recruits don't pan out. Jaylen Ratliffe seems "all in" from his interviews, but given guys leaving and guys not panning out I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch at QB anymore. The good thing is there are quite a few ex-QBs on our roster, and AJ Gray coming in with Jaylen is also a pretty good prep QB (though slotted at DB).

I think CPJ may have to re-think his recruitment of QBs in terms of numbers in the future. We are in a precarious situation this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ty Griffin will hurt more this year because, heaven forbid, if JT and TB get hurt we'll have to pull MJ's redshirt. I think CPJ will play Brady Swilling in blowouts and not expose MJ. However, I think MJ will be playing if he needs to in a close game and both #1 & #2 cant play...or CPJ may even have Synjyn take snaps at QB during practice just in case.

Where Ty leaving hurts us in the future is if there's any attrition or our QB recruits don't pan out. Jaylen Ratliffe seems "all in" from his interviews, but given guys leaving and guys not panning out I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch at QB anymore. The good thing is there are quite a few ex-QBs on our roster, and AJ Gray coming in with Jaylen is also a pretty good prep QB (though slotted at DB).

I think CPJ may have to re-think his recruitment of QBs in terms of numbers in the future. We are in a precarious situation this year.
Agree. On your last point, he may just have to do a better job of vetting their interest in our offense instead of actual numbers. I'm still not sure what the actual reason is for Ty leaving. All I know for sure is he said "GT isn't the school for me." That doesn't exactly indict the offense, but it could.

We now have a history of QB's leaving the program, I wonder how that compares to other schools? At worst its just another black eye for the program in the perception of others, and at best we lose what appears to be a promising athlete who could have contributed somewhere, but wasn't going to see much of the field this year.

It is not just us. It is every where. Mettenberger went to LSU, the kid from FSU just went to Alabama. It won't be long before there is a system similar to the NFL waiver wire in place. In practice it is already here. Coaches get inquiries all the time. Heard Todd Berry from ULM say yesterday it was not uncommon for kids to contact them and want to transfer in on the condition that they be guaranteed a starting spot. This is not your father's NCAA no moe.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
It is not just us. It is every where. Mettenberger went to LSU, the kid from FSU just went to Alabama. It won't be long before there is a system similar to the NFL waiver wire in place. In practice it is already here. Coaches get inquiries all the time. Heard Todd Berry from ULM say yesterday it was not uncommon for kids to contact them and want to transfer in on the condition that they be guaranteed a starting spot. This is not your father's NCAA no moe.

Mettenberger went to LSU because he got kicked off UGA for sexual assault. Using him in a "QBs often transfer" example is poor logic.