Ty Griffin

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just because his only offers WERE academy schools before, it doesn't mean those are his only ones now.
I heard he will get a chance at RB or DB at Oregon. And this was not just him wanting to play with his brother.
You don't know jack squat. I heard, I heard.... lol....

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, and my opinion only, but that is what this place allows us to do...

Society going one direction (life should be fun and easy)
Georgia Tech in another (by working your butt off and getting shafted along the way, you will be better and valuable to a future employer)

I just don't see how we ever change the recruiting difficulties. I actually believe they are harder now than ever before.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
so this is due to the kid not liking the O? Basically. If he didn't want to put in the off field work it is because either he is lazy or just not bought in.....if its the latter thats 2 in 5 months

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about this. I think it was obvious that there was little difference between him and Jordan, so I'm not that surprised that he decided to try his luck elsewhere. I think the big problem for him is finding that elsewhere. He's talented, but he isn't what the Ducks (for instance) are usually looking for.

Well, good luck, Ty. Too bad we won't get to see you play here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Holy crap...you have got to be kidding me.

Jordan Luallen...Jaybo Shaw...Vad Lee...Ty Griffin. Not to mention, Damon Mitchell, the guy Ty was replacing at QB in that class de-committed at the 11th hour. What is going on with the QB position at GT the past few years?!

Good thing CPJ recruits a lot of QBs to play other positions...some of them may be needed at QB eventually...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about this. I think it was obvious that there was little difference between him and Jordan, so I'm not that surprised that he decided to try his luck elsewhere. I think the big problem for him is finding that elsewhere. He's talented, but he isn't what the Ducks (for instance) are usually looking for.

Well, good luck, Ty. Too bad we won't get to see you play here.

I can actually see Ty at QB for Oregon. From what people are saying, that's probably not the position he's going to play, but Ty ran a lot of the same read option concepts at McEachern that Oregon runs. He's definitely fast and quick enough in short spaces, but he may not be up to par as a passer...though his arm is pretty darn strong enough for it.

Such a shame. The guy a lot of GT fans pegged as an afterthought, who became an actual diamond in the rough for CPJ, will never play an official snap for us. Ugh...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Jordan Luallen...Jaybo Shaw...Vad Lee...Ty Griffin. Not to mention, Damon Mitchell, the guy Ty was replacing at QB in that class de-committed at the 11th hour. What is going on with the QB position at GT the past few years?!

Good thing CPJ recruits a lot of QBs to play other positions...some of them may be needed at QB eventually...

Sounds as if Vad & Ty had enough.
I can't blame a guy for not liking the offense. It's good that they leave if they aren't committed to the style of play.
Jaybo left for more playing time.
Damon didn't sign
Jordan didn't fit what CPJ is trying to do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds as if Vad & Ty had enough.
I can't blame a guy for not liking the offense. It's good that they leave if they aren't committed to the style of play.
Jaybo left for more playing time.
Damon didn't sign
Jordan didn't fit what CPJ is trying to do.

Yeah...each had their own reasons. I don't think it's anymore than any other school really, but dang! We just lost our starter, and now a very promising reserve.

Oh to be a GT fan...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So I guess all those people that wanted Ty at a different position and MJ at QB3...well be careful what you ask for.

Unfortunately, Ty will be playing a different position....at a different school.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@Eric

CPJ has stated time and time that he loves these guys cause they have bought in and love doing what we do, yet we've had 4 defections in 4 months. What's really going on?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@Eric

CPJ has stated time and time that he loves these guys cause they have bought in and love doing what we do, yet we've had 4 defections in 4 months. What's really going on?

Each are different cases.

Not all of them had to do with not buying in with the offense...Vad was the main one on that.

Kevin had some issues with school and just wasnt happy here.

Justin Akins had personal issues along with school.

GT_Johnnybodkin

Jolly Good Fellow
I vehemently wanted to transfer from Tech after my second year however I couldn't afford to go to an out-of-state engineering school... In retrospect i'm glad I stayed at Tech and got the degree- Tech taught me how to stay strong under insane workloads and never be complacent.

My gf who graduated from a big state school in Illinois refers to the Tech experience as basically "The Huger Games".

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't know jack squat. I heard, I heard.... lol....

Exactly. So I'll just keep my "lack of knowledge" to myself.

But I'll say this. I wouldn't be surprised if Eric knew of this much earlier than today. I know "some people" knew the weekend of the spring game that this was going to happen.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I vehemently wanted to transfer from Tech after my second year however I couldn't afford to go to an out-of-state engineering school... In retrospect i'm glad I stayed at Tech and got the degree- Tech taught me how to stay strong under insane workloads and never be complacent.

My gf who graduated from a big state school in Illinois refers to the Tech experience as basically "The Huger Games".
Same here. Best choice my mother could give me - either come home & go to Armstrong or stay at Tech & finish my degree.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Lol. Before he turned a few heads in the spring game, everybody and their mother had this guy pegged as an Aback. But I'm sure you had him pegged as the next Josh all along, right?

TechPhi97

Jolly Good Fellow
I know this subject has come up before but does anyone know if GTAA has some type of counseling program that is designed to monitor/help SAs when they run into academic road blocks? I know if a student, especially during finals week, gets discouraged it is hard to see the sense in continuing at an institution that really gets no easier as time goes by.

Hard to know how to respond to this; football players probably have more help at their disposal than any other group at Tech. There are 15 "Student Services" staff employed by the athletic department, and that doesn't include tutors that are available - those are employees of the athletic department. They help the athletes through everything. Not to mention the fact that football coaches are personally checking up on the players in class (at least, I had heard that in the past). I'm sure that, just like everything else, some SA's take advantage more than others.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why go through spring if you are going to transfer?
Was school difficulty apart of the transfer?
Oregon might be using this to get his brother?
CPJ praise might have been a way to try and keep him?
2s did not score. Ty did have a few good runs, but he was no redshirt freshman JT or Vad . I would have liked to see him at AB.
We lost what looked to be a good player, but we did not loose a Laskey, Gotsis, Shaq, Smelter, Golden, or Butker

I am on a bruiser kick for QB and MJ looks to be of the Byerly type.