Two stops in a row while it was 24-22.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Just thought I’d remind people about this, Also on one of the offensive drives we only ran like 1:11 off the clock and punted. The Bubble Screen thing was annoying, but people forget that we forced a 4th and Long and they made a miracle play.
We scored 3 offensive points in the second half. I don’t get all the defensive blame for this game. This game was on both the offense and defense.

Our offense did not execute, and our OL was beaten one-on-one by better, faster athletes. It happens every time we play the better teams on our schedule. Miami made a miracle play, or we just gagged in the clutch?? We needed a touchdown when we settled for FG to go up 24-13. We couldn't get it done. We lost.

jacob

Banned
Just thought I’d remind people about this, Also on one of the offensive drives we only ran like 1:11 off the clock and punted. The Bubble Screen thing was annoying, but people forget that we forced a 4th and Long and they made a miracle play.
We scored 3 offensive points in the second half. I don’t get all the defensive blame for this game. This game was on both the offense and defense.
That is true. To be honest more of the blame should go on CPJ and the offense.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I don't get why people are so eager to assign fault to a loss after every single one. Does it make you feel better? I feel like crap either way we lost as a team. We failed to execute on both sides in any little bit of rain. So it's bad for our cutting and misdirection. We don't have any sort of contingency plan? Their running back ran through like 20 people in the 4th quarter. We couldnt get a first down to save our lives. it was a total 4th quarter failure just like the Tennessee game. But I guess if you want to blame 1 phase to cope with it be my guest.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
FG kicker leg not strong enough for a 43yd FG doesn’t help either

If folks watch that post-game presser and you'll get a sense of how irked PJ is with the whole game overall, but when someone specifically asks about going for it on 4th down and not going for the FG in the first half he says, "The coach who coaches the kickers said he can't kick it that far."

That's pretty depressing.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
It's very strange to me that CPJ said King couldn't make the 43 yarder. We would definitely not have given him a full ride if he couldn't. Going back to his recruiting thread, he made one from 56 yards in high school. My guess is they were trying to preserve his confidence.
Ibee, to your knowledge, were there any kickers on the squad during your time there that couldn't make a 43 yarder?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's very strange to me that CPJ said King couldn't make the 43 yarder. We would definitely not have given him a full ride if he couldn't. Going back to his recruiting thread, he made one from 56 yards in high school. My guess is they were trying to preserve his confidence.

Ibee, to your knowledge, were there any kickers on the squad during your time there that couldn't make a 43 yarder?

Nope.

I know you guys love to be the good guy all the time, but there needs to be SERIOUS consideration of not renewing King Ship if things continue like this. 3 points there change the complexion of the game

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Nope.

I know you guys love to be the good guy all the time, but there needs to be SERIOUS consideration of not renewing King Ship if things continue like this. 3 points there change the complexion of the game

I think King better bust his butt in the weight room/off season conditioning and be ready to seize the job in the Spring.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Another place to look is us not scoring a TD (settling for 3) when we're 1st and goal on the 6. Our offense is built for that. If I had one question about CPJ, it's that sometimes he seems to outsmart himself. Just run the option or the belly for 4 plays or put Matthew in and run QB follow for 4 plays. If we can't make it, we don't deserve to win. I think with our GCG, we can make that most of the time. I was also wishing we'd just run more option in general. When we ran option, we were getting enough to keep the chains moving in 3 plays. It seems like CPJ wants us to score on every play, and sometimes I appreciate that, but in a game like yesterday, just run your bread and butter, be satisfied with a 4 or 5 ypp average and move the chains. I was sitting there thinking, just be Navy right now. Execute and get our 4 ypp, no big negative plays, and we win.

And, I'll tell you something else. This is the game where Dedrick Mills cost us a top 15 ranking. A player like him moves the chains in weather like that, against a defense like that.

Who is in charge of roster management and recruiting? Who on this board doesn't know you need 22 players plus a punter, a kicker, a holder and deepsnapper? And you'll need them every year. We will need a kicker next year, and in 2019 and in 2020. Whose job is it to have a plan for all that?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our offense did not execute, and our OL was beaten one-on-one by better, faster athletes. It happens every time we play the better teams on our schedule. Miami made a miracle play, or we just gagged in the clutch?? We needed a touchdown when we settled for FG to go up 24-13. We couldn't get it done. We lost.
Last year we pushed around Georgia’s 4 star DL pretty good.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
\And, I'll tell you something else. This is the game where Dedrick Mills cost us a top 15 ranking. A player like him moves the chains in weather like that, against a defense like that.
Yes, and so can Kirvonte Benson. Problem = Benson was out of the game. That, imho, was the main reason why we lost. Quaid came in (Why not Howard? Game experience.) and did ok, given the weather conditions, but with Benson in there pushing the pile we could have done what was necessary.

And, yes, this - and the UT game - were two where we sure could have used Dedrick Mills. Too bad, that.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remind everyone that when Coach said that about King, he wasn't saying that King couldn't hit from 43. He was saying that King couldn't hit from 43 right now.

The guy has had the killer injury for a place kicker: a groin pull. It's caused him trouble all through the season and before. This kind of injury is tough on kickers because the action in kicking soccer-style is exactly what continues to aggravate the damage. It's bad news for King, but, in the end, he'll pull through and do ok. Still, losing Davis was one of several injuries that balanced that part of the equation with da U. Before the game we were at close to full strength. During the game, things equaled out.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nope.

In 2002 we signed a kicker named David Jordan out of Columbus ( Brookstone High school ) who could not win the job. This would be before your time cause your still a young man. :)

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
I remind everyone that when Coach said that about King, he wasn't saying that King couldn't hit from 43. He was saying that King couldn't hit from 43 right now.

The guy has had the killer injury for a place kicker: a groin pull. It's caused him trouble all through the season and before. This kind of injury is tough on kickers because the action in kicking soccer-style is exactly what continues to aggravate the damage. It's bad news for King, but, in the end, he'll pull through and do ok. Still, losing Davis was one of several injuries that balanced that part of the equation with da U. Before the game we were at close to full strength. During the game, things equaled out.

How many kickoffs did he have? iirc he reached the goal line on at least one. Not enough leg to kick 43 -45 fg?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

X1000, the offense dropped a big stinky turd on the field on the second half and people are blaming Roof and the D? Personally i'm proud of our team, it was a helluva game that we shoulda/coulda won.