Two questions...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
how many games have we won in bobby Dodd stadium? And why do we not claim national championships in 1916,1951, and 1956?

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
1916 I would guess because Pitt was undefeated and we had a tie. 1951 national titles were awarded before the bowl games still (they were only considered exhibitions) so Tennessee finished the season undefeated while we had a tie against a bad Duke team. Unfortunately did not play Tennessee that year. 1956 Oklahoma finished undefeated while we had 1 loss (to Tennessee) and titles still awarded prior to bowl games so Oklahoma wasn't penalized/we didn't benefit from the bowl season. We were retroactively awarded a co-1916 title by the Billingsly Report with Pitt but most polls have awarded Pitt the title.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1916 I would guess because Pitt was undefeated and we had a tie. 1951 national titles were awarded before the bowl games still (they were only considered exhibitions) so Tennessee finished the season undefeated while we had a tie against a bad Duke team. Unfortunately did not play Tennessee that year. 1956 Oklahoma finished undefeated while we had 1 loss (to Tennessee) and titles still awarded prior to bowl games so Oklahoma wasn't penalized/we didn't benefit from the bowl season. We were retroactively awarded a co-1916 title by the Billingsly Report with Pitt but most polls have awarded Pitt the title.
Thanks for the info, do you know how many home wins we have in bobby Dodd stadium?

Thanks for the info, do you know how many home wins we have in bobby Dodd stadium?
When you ask for total wins in BDS, are you just referring to the years since it was officially named BDS, or all the years since football was played at that particular location (first used in 1905), or the years since a stadium was at that location (first stands built in 1913)? The media guide lists the records for each season (home and away), but it doesn't list the total. That would be an interesting thing to figure out, but I don't have time right now. Our overall record since 1892 is 716–486–43. Assuming 60% of those games were at home (and that may not be a correct percentage), that would mean the home record would be somewhere in the range of 430-292-26.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
When you ask for total wins in BDS, are you just referring to the years since it was officially named BDS, or all the years since football was played at that particular location (first used in 1905), or the years since a stadium was at that location (first stands built in 1913)? The media guide lists the records for each season (home and away), but it doesn't list the total. That would be an interesting thing to figure out, but I don't have time right now. Our overall record since 1892 is 716–486–43. Assuming 60% of those games were at home (and that may not be a correct percentage), that would mean the home record would be somewhere in the range of 430-292-26.
Please take out 1980-1981 and the BL years .

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I guess both the location and the stadium separated. I was just curious because a UT fan said they have the most home wins at a current stadium being used.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I just went through and counted cause I was bored but for all home games listed since 1913 (Grant Field) we have won 467 games

fun fact our 100th home win came in a 19-6 win vs Auburn in 1929

our 200th home win came in 1952 in a 30-0 win vs FSU. A mix of playing more away games than before and not being too good in the 1930s made this 100 take much longer

our 300th home win came in 1975 in the first home game vs Miami in a 38-23 win

our 400th win didn't come until 2002 in a 45-3 shellacking against Vanderbilt. Obviously we know the 80s and parts of the 90s were really not kind to us

CPJ is currently at 47 home wins (47-13 record @ Bobby Dodd; .783)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I just went through and counted cause I was bored but for all home games listed since 1913 (Grant Field) we have won 467 games

fun fact our 100th home win came in a 19-6 win vs Auburn in 1929

our 200th home win came in 1952 in a 30-0 win vs FSU. A mix of playing more away games than before and not being too good in the 1930s made this 100 take much longer

our 300th home win came in 1975 in the first home game vs Miami in a 38-23 win

our 400th win didn't come until 2002 in a 45-3 shellacking against Vanderbilt. Obviously we know the 80s and parts of the 90s were really not kind to us

CPJ is currently at 47 home wins (47-13 record @ Bobby Dodd; .783)
Thanks a lot! I didn't know CPJ had that good of a home record. Did you count how many wins from 1905-1913?

I bit the bullet and went through and counted too. Unless my math is incorrect, which is entirely possible, Tech has 501 wins on the property subsequently called Grant Field since 1905. So when the stadium announcer says prior to each game that Grant Field is the oldest and winningest on-campus"stadium" (no actual stadium until 1913), he's not wrong. Take away the 36 wins on the field between 1905 and 1912, and the number is 465, still one more than what UT claims. But how long has Neyland Stadium actually been on that property?