Two new starters on the OL

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
CPJ said today Chris Griffin will start at LT and Freddie Burden at C with the First team OL for the Spring game Friday.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Which means it will be

LT - Chris Griffin
LG - Trey Braun
C - Freddie Burden
RG - Shaq Mason
RT - Bryan Chamberlain

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
RT worries me. We need Roberts to get healed up. I just do not think Chamberlain can match up physically with the DEs playing at some of the better teams.

On passing situations he is gonna need some help, or the QB is going to get hammered.

thwgjacket

Why are we supposed to be worried about Chamberlain? (Sincere Question) Does he just not have a mean streak? He's not really small at 6'4 286#. Pretty easy to put on 5-10 lbs before the season starts. Griffin is 6'6 294#. If we can get 5-10 lbs on both of them before the season we have two pretty big tackles.

If these guys put on 5 lbs a piece you're looking at:
6'6 299
6'5 300
6'3 297
6'1 316
6'4 291

I might be mistaken but I think that would be one of the bigger lines CPJ has had.

Last edited:

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Why are we supposed to be worried about Chamberlain? (Sincere Question) Does he just not have a mean streak? He's not really small at 6'4 286#. Pretty easy to put on 5-10 lbs before the season starts. Griffin is 6'6 294#. If we can get 5-10 lbs on both of them before the season we have two pretty big tackles.

IMO (from watching his play last year) he does not have the quickness needed to get up and pass block. The way we pass protect the tackle spots have to be really quick out of their stance or they will get beat by the DE. In run support he would often miss his man or take the wrong man. He has the size, and in all fairness he was probably forced into action before he was ready due to injuries. He may be able to pick up the blocking a little better, but I just do not think he can do what we need him to do from a pass blocking perspective.

thwgjacket

IMO (from watching his play last year) he does not have the quickness needed to get up and pass block. The way we pass protect the tackle spots have to be really quick out of their stance or they will get beat by the DE. In run support he would often miss his man or take the wrong man. He has the size, and in all fairness he was probably forced into action before he was ready due to injuries. He may be able to pick up the blocking a little better, but I just do not think he can do what we need him to do from a pass blocking perspective.
That's fair, I honestly didn't pay much attention to him last year. I thought you were just saying he wasn't physically big enough.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If I could change one thing about our offense, it would be the stance of our line on obvious passing situations. You almost need a really special talent at the tackle spots to match up in pass protection against good DEs with our stance and wide splits. Just my opinion.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Remember, if you're still learning where to go, you're not going to go full speed. Maybe BC just needs to master his position, then we'll see why he was recruited. O'Reilly says he plays much faster this spring than he ever did all last season and it's because he's comfortable in the offense.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
I think everyone is stuck on the one play where Chamberlin missed his block in the Miami game and got JT hit. Folks, that's one play and it happens to every OLineman from time to time especially against fast teams, and especially when your HC won't let you pass set.

It reminds me of when the announcers highlighted Julian Burnett getting blocked against Clemson a couple of years ago. It was one play, but everyone assumed it happened all the time. And those people who assumed that, we're proved wrong repeatedly by JB as the season went on.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think everyone is stuck on the one play where Chamberlin missed his block in the Miami game and got JT hit. Folks, that's one play and it happens to every OLineman from time to time especially against fast teams, and especially when your HC won't let you pass set.

It reminds me of when the announcers highlighted Julian Burnett getting blocked against Clemson a couple of years ago. It was one play, but everyone assumed it happened all the time. And those people who assumed that, we're proved wrong repeatedly by JB as the season went on.

My memory of Chamberlain is from the VT game :sick:

I am pulling for him and hope he turns out to be a great player.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm suprised about Burden starting ahead of O'Reilly. O'Reilly took most all of the first team snaps in last Saturday's scrimmage. I thought O'Reilly did very well. I am also suprised no one has been able to beat out Chamberlin. The coaches must feel Chamberlin we get the job done at some point in time. I guess the second team will be O'Reilly, Brigham, Devine, Kyle Stallard (walk on) and Erin Joe. We really need Roberts to recover and be able to play.

Go Jackets!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Remember, if you're still learning where to go, you're not going to go full speed. Maybe BC just needs to master his position, then we'll see why he was recruited. O'Reilly says he plays much faster this spring than he ever did all last season and it's because he's comfortable in the offense.

Maybe you are correct and the light did not come on last year. I am anxious to watch him in the spring game.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I'm suprised about Burden starting ahead of O'Reilly. O'Reilly took most all of the first team snaps in last Saturday's scrimmage. I thought O'Reilly did very well. I am also suprised no one has been able to beat out Chamberlin. The coaches must feel Chamberlin we get the job done at some point in time. I guess the second team will be O'Reilly, Brigham, Devine, Kyle Stallard (walk on) and Erin Joe. We really need Roberts to recover and be able to play.

Go Jackets!

I would assume that is the second team OL.

Of note..Muns is back at center now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Chamberlain had some disappointing plays but on the whole his run blocking was fine, imo. He did struggle mightily at pass blocking though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chamberlain had some disappointing plays but on the whole his run blocking was fine, imo. He did struggle mightily at pass blocking though.
I disagree here. I am rooting for the kid, but he got owned quite a bit last season and it wasn't just in pass pro. That DE for UNC just whipped him to the ground repeatedly on run plays. I watched a lot of film slowed down. It was very noticeable against multiple opponents and it wasn't pretty.

I want to be clear. I am not quitting on the kid, but he simply needs to raise the level of his play from last season or he doesn't belong out there. Hopefully he will. Nobody would be more happy than me.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!

I was just thinking the same thing, o'reilly looked like the # 1C this past Saturday, he was taking all the snaps with the ones, I know people were high on Freddie am I'm glad if we won the spot because he is talented but just seems like a quick change.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree Boomer. I just recently re-watch some film and Chamberlain was struggling. I am rooting for him and hope the light comes on. That first step has got to be fast!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not worried about it. O'Reilly looking good is a positive thing whether he starts with the ones in the spring game or not. I expect that battle to go back and forth for a while. Conversely, I am extremely worried about RT.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I feel like Chamberlain had the most false starts of any other lineman last season, it could just be selective memory though.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys chamberlain was a practice warrior last year but a gametime dud. Its a fact. All we heard last year about how good he looked them bam it was bad. And so far this year i believe the same.

Once he shows it for real in a game i can believe it. And our ol coach is really no one to trust imo.

Yes. I want him to be the next jake long or whatever. But reality is, he just wasnt good.