Two must-read stories in the AJC

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The only winning that counts is on the field, but I agree with your assessment of Collins to date.

Yep, for job security in CGC's field it's the one that counts the most, but character counts big time, nice to read good stories about our new coach. All the negativity that is flying around these days, it's a wonderful change of pace.

Yep, for job security in CGC's field it's the one that counts the most, but character counts big time, nice to read good stories about our new coach. All the negativity that is flying around these days, it's a wonderful change of pace.
If you want to feel really good, watch the video I posted at the top of this thread. It definitely got me fired up.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The only winning that counts is on the field, but I agree with your assessment of Collins to date.

Funny, for the last 9 seasons, for most posters on this board, winning and losing on the field didn't seem to matter that much.

Suddenly, it's the litmus test for Collins. If he only wins 50% of his FBS games over the next 4 years, will that be good enough? It has been for the last 9 years.

Funny, for the last 9 seasons, for most posters on this board, winning and losing on the field didn't seem to matter that much.

Suddenly, it's the litmus test for Collins. If he only wins 50% of his FBS games over the next 4 years, will that be good enough? It has been for the last 9 years.
Oh, give me a break. Winning was always important under Johnson, and had he totally failed, we would all have wanted to get rid of him. The fact is he did not consistently lose, and he won some damn important games for us. But regarding Collins, he hasn't even coached a game yet at Tech, so despite his winning ATTITUDE, that alone does not guarantee winning on the field. I think everybody is hoping for and anticipating success on the field, but the FACT is we don't know crap about that yet.

Milwaukee

Banned

nrr9s34uXnigw.gif

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Oh, give me a break. Winning was always important under Johnson, and had he totally failed, we would all have wanted to get rid of him. The fact is he did not consistently lose, and he won some damn important games for us. But regarding Collins, he hasn't even coached a game yet at Tech, so despite his winning ATTITUDE, that alone does not guarantee winning on the field. I think everybody is hoping for and anticipating success on the field, but the FACT is we don't know crap about that yet.

What we do know, as a FACT, is that Collins has Power 5 coaching experience at two different high profile schools--neither of the last two coaches had such experience at even one P5 School. He also has experience at two other Power 5 schools, one of which is our own. We also know that Collins was material to bringing in the 2007 recruiting class that was foundational to the only two good back to back years produced by the last staff.

I don't understand all the skepticism about Collins, when we just experienced 9 years of overall mediocrity (FACT) that seemed to be OK with seemingly 75% of the posters on this Board. There is a double standard applied by a lot of people that seems to be based on some love affair with Johnson that wasn't borne out by his record.

Since you indicate that Johnson didn't totally fail with his mediocre record, your answer to my question about a 50% FBS record over the next four years is that it will be OK in your view. At least you are not applying a double standard.

What we do know, as a FACT, is that Collins has Power 5 coaching experience at two different high profile schools--neither of the last two coaches had such experience at even one P5 School. He also has experience at two other Power 5 schools, one of which is our own. We also know that Collins was material to bringing in the 2007 recruiting class that was foundational to the only two good back to back years produced by the last staff.

I don't understand all the skepticism about Collins, when we just experienced 9 years of overall mediocrity (FACT) that seemed to be OK with seemingly 75% of the posters on this Board. There is a double standard applied by a lot of people that seems to be based on some love affair with Johnson that wasn't borne out by his record.

Since you indicate that Johnson didn't totally fail with his mediocre record, your answer to my question about a 50% FBS record over the next four years is that it will be OK in your view. At least you are not applying a double standard.
The FACT is that Johnson took us to heights not reached (other than 1990) since Dodd, and that didn't just depend on the 2007 recruiting class. Another FACT is that Collins has never served as a P5 HC (at least I don't think Temple is P5), and plenty of excellent assistants have failed as HC's in the past all over the country. Don't get me wrong: Collins has my COMPLETE support, and I hope for that support to produce great results. But the third FACT is that we don't have a clue at this point whether he will or not.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If you want to feel really good, watch the video I posted at the top of this thread. It definitely got me fired up.

Supersize, glad you reminded me to watch that video again because every time I watch it it also leaves me pumped. Dammit I believe what he says is true and very possible, but we've been told that it was not possible for so long I had given up that it could be done at Georgia Tech. I know, I know, it has yet to be done but I have hope again.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of how much success Coach Collins sees on-field over his tenure at Tech, I think there is very little doubt he is a representative of the Institute that we can be proud to have. His energy is infectious, positive, and genuine. The only thing that scares me is has a history of getting bored with opportunities after 2 years...I hope we can be the place where that changes.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of how much success Coach Collins sees on-field over his tenure at Tech, I think there is very little doubt he is a representative of the Institute that we can be proud to have. His energy is infectious, positive, and genuine. The only thing that scares me is has a history of getting bored with opportunities after 2 years...I hope we can be the place where that changes.

He has been thinking about the position he is in since '99. Lets not worry about Collins next step because he still has a lot to accomplish before then.