Two deep to be released

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Not trying to be negative here, but is anyone worried about the size of our DE's? Nothing against our guys, but if I'm a OC, I'm gonna run against those guys all day. What's to stop a decent tackle from just blowing them back(assuming he can touch them)?

Please tell me I'm wrong.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
SAM usually means strongside linebacker. I get it if they're using a VT style gadget to defend against an option team, but if that's a long term thing, you guys are going to be VERY light in the pants in the front 7.

But quick and aggressive and only one substitute away from a "normal" 4-3. Probably using this game to gain experience in the 4-2 for future games where we will use the 4-2 70% of the time. I don't think we are targeting Wofford's option with this defense.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Lance Austin as the SAM really stands out. It has to be because of the option that Wofford runs. I cant imagine he'd be in that position all season. Roof must want some speed at linebacker just in case they need to track the pitch man down.

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
But quick and aggressive and only one substitute away from a "normal" 4-3. Probably using this game to gain experience in the 4-2 for future games where we will use the 4-2 70% of the time. I don't think we are targeting Wofford's option with this defense.
Good point. If we do end up running the 4-2-5 like expected, that nickel will need the experience. It'll be fun to watch regardless.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
They better have an IV drip ready for Demond Smith....looks like he's gonna be playing about 10 different positions. When his parents ask him what position he'll be playing his response will be "yes". Maybe we should try him on defensive line also :)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be negative here, but is anyone worried about the size of our DE's? Nothing against our guys, but if I'm a OC, I'm gonna run against those guys all day. What's to stop a decent tackle from just blowing them back(assuming he can touch them)?

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Maybe Roof wants them in that briarpatch. IMO we can adjust to stop the run (maybe UGA and Miami excepted) and get a better pass rush with the smaller, quicker guys. Actually we have no choice. Look at the roster. The two other guys we counted on are not eligible this season. It would sure be nice to have big quick DEs who can pass rush and play the run but we don't, so Roof will have to scheme and adjust with what we have. Good news is we have quality LBs and are two deep at DE on both sides and won't gas out like we did last year. IMO we have bigger concerns (BB and DT depth and OT)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Will likely see the look vs some spread offenses too. If we are getting spread out with 4 wr sets expect to see more 4-2-5. If the spread offenses can answer by running effectively with 4 wide vs 4-2-5......it will be a long year.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the moving of Days over to BB. We need depth there due to the high likely hood of injury at some point. Have we ever had a BB make it the whole season without missing some time? Keeping Days on the AB list also tells me the coaching staff is wanting to make sure the best players are on the field.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Maybe Roof wants them in that briarpatch. IMO we can adjust to stop the run (maybe UGA and Miami excepted)

We gave up 189 against BYU, 132 against Duke, 221 against Ole Miss, 168 against Clemson, and 101 against UNC. If you add in UGA( 138) and Miami(227), we did not throw anyone in the briar patch except VT.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the moving of Days over to BB. We need depth there due to the high likely hood of injury at some point. Have we ever had a BB make it the whole season without missing some time? Keeping Days on the AB list also tells me the coaching staff is wanting to make sure the best players are on the field.
I agree...that's why Thomas, Laskey, Perkins and Zenon will be on the field most of the time and especially in the big games.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I repeat yet again: Laskey 218, my fat patootie. Did you see the film of him after Coach? Folks, somebody that tall and that thick weighs at least 225, maybe more.

Of course, I may just be hoping that we'll finally have a big BB again. Some liked Dwyer because he was fast. I liked that ok, but it was his ability to run over and through people that I really liked. Maybe, just maybe, this year again.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
danny daniel post: 71782 said:
Yes. That is what the prior depth chart said, but not the latest one. I like the plan to play Marshall D2 and play O'Reilly behind Mason. Looks like prep for 2015 for RG and frees up Brigham for T if necessary. Really enhances depth.

That is what CPJ said yesterday.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My guess is you have Lynn and White as 1st with Milton and Lawance backing them up. Lance and Step to redshirt unless Lance get in on the 5th DB after Smith?

Lynn has to wait to get in after game 2.