TV Options

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
What is the most cost effective way to get all of Tech's games on TV?

NIU is on the ACC network. KSU is on ACC RSN--I guess that's now Bally.

We are less than 3 weeks until football begins. I am trying to decide which way to go, and perhaps others are as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
YouTube was great but can't get the ACC RSN games anymore. I used to get everything on Sling but the buffering from Sling was awful.

It's amazing that a sport bleeding fans and needing as much as possible makes it so damn difficult to watch the games.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
IIUC, in Atlanta, it's either cable (Comcast/Charter) or ATT's streaming service to get the Sinclair-owned RSNs. ATT-TV was 84.99/month to get RSNs. But they announced it's going away this month and being replaced with 'DirectTV Stream'. No info on pricing/channels/service. The ATT streaming service has been replaced/re-branded multiple times in the past couple years. It always gets poor reviews relative to Youtube TV, Sling, even Hulu. But they're the only service that still has the RSNs (for now).

Supposebly, Sinclair is working on their own streaming service for the RSNs, but it's months or years away. Speculation on pricing is that it'll be gouging.

slugboy

Staff member
I believe AT&T TV is just a rename—it should be the same service.

@BCJacket Sinclair’s business plan for streaming leaked. If they hold to that, it’s ridiculous. It’s as much as Disney+ (with Hulu and ESPN+), just for the RSNs.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The setup that has worked for me has been subscribing to Comcast Internet/tv and having friends with youtube tv login for ACC network. Not bulletproof but hopefully Comcast and espn will figure it out.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
I have fubotv and it's awesome.

What is the most cost effective way to get all of Tech's games on TV?

NIU is on the ACC network. KSU is on ACC RSN--I guess that's now Bally.

We are less than 3 weeks until football begins. I am trying to decide which way to go, and perhaps others are as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Besides local cable companies in your area ( I realize that Comcast does not carry ACC Network yet) the only other two options at the moment to ensure you get all the Georgia Tech sports are: (ABC, ESPN, and ACC Network or RSN)

Satellite
Direct TV

Streaming
AT&T TV

IIUC, in Atlanta, it's either cable (Comcast/Charter) or ATT's streaming service to get the Sinclair-owned RSNs. ATT-TV was 84.99/month to get RSNs. But they announced it's going away this month and being replaced with 'DirectTV Stream'. No info on pricing/channels/service. The ATT streaming service has been replaced/re-branded multiple times in the past couple years. It always gets poor reviews relative to Youtube TV, Sling, even Hulu. But they're the only service that still has the RSNs (for now).

Supposebly, Sinclair is working on their own streaming service for the RSNs, but it's months or years away. Speculation on pricing is that it'll be gouging.
This is just the latest rebranding for AT&T TV streaming service, which used to be called AT&T TV Now and DirecTV Now. Welcome DirecTV Stream! On February 25, 2021, AT&T announced that it would spin off DirecTV, U-verse and AT&T TV into a separate entity, selling a 30% stake to TPG capital while retaining a 70% stake in the new standalone company. The deal was closed on August 2, 2021.

The great thing about AT&T TV streaming service, which used to be called AT&T TV Now and DirecTV Now and now rebranded as DirecTV Stream, you can watch anywhere in the US and your local channels are by billing ZIPcode. Hulu and Youtube does not allow you to watch anywhere in the USA... The new Branded serviced touts itself as particularly suitable for sports fans, thanks to a lineup that included regional sports networks and the inclusion of NFL Sunday Ticket is offered!

Current AT&T streaming customers will automatically keep their service with no action required.

I believe AT&T TV is just a rename—it should be the same service.

@BCJacket Sinclair’s business plan for streaming leaked. If they hold to that, it’s ridiculous. It’s as much as Disney+ (with Hulu and ESPN+), just for the RSNs.
Speaking of Bally RSN....this is from their FAQs:

Link

I have fubotv and it's awesome.

In 2020, YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, and fuboTV dropped the channels. In 2019, both Dish Network and Sling TV dropped the channels from their service. In March, fuboTV picked up Marquee Sports Network, which is a joint-venture between Sinclair and the Chicago Cubs. fuboTV now charges a $5-6 RSN Fee in many markets where RSNs are available.

So maybe in the future Fubo might carry all RSN again...

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I live outside the Atlanta network, but Hulu tv (which gives me an ESPN log in) let's me watch every tech game, one way or another.

But it is about $65/month.

I live outside the Atlanta network, but Hulu tv (which gives me an ESPN log in) let's me watch every tech game, one way or another.

But it is about $65/month.
I think that is great. However for the folks in market, ESPN or watch ESPN will blackout RSN games. So the only way to watch Georgia Tech RSN games legally in-market is to have a subscription to a cable provider, Direct TV, or AT&T TV new streaming service (Direct Stream) that will allow you to watch said Gt RSN game or to stream it on your mobile device via Fox Sports Go App (if you are out and about).

I do realize there is a plethora of illegal ways to watch the RSN games and maybe a thread should be started on that.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I live in-market and have exactly the same struggle - was Comcast for many years and have been a YouTubeTV customer now for the past 3 years. I hate the ACC signed a TV deal that restricts in-market viewing to only those 2-3 media companies who don't also support the ACC network. So I blame ACC leadership for being short-sighted with the terms of THEIR TV deal - they should have negotiated mandatory service to X% of their in-market viewership markets rather than allow the current scenario to play out (ie Bally Sports has effectively pulled their service from a high (and growing) percentage of in-market viewers).

Email your concerns to ACC leadership - they are killing their own fan base with the combination of failing to get the largest cable operators to include the ACC network and allow Bally Sports to drop in-market service. I've complained to GT leadership but they just point you to the ACC team. It leaves in-market fans with almost no optiins for legal viewing of all in-market ACC games. Requires using someone else's login or VPN options exist (and we should start a thread to compare those options) which all represent a hassle or technically illegal factor. Ridiculous for ACC leadership to leave their primary fan base in this position.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Ridiculous for ACC leadership to leave their primary fan base in this position.

And so short-sighted. A casual fan will never jump through hoops like this to watch a game, so their kid, who might have been drawn in by watching ACC teams, will instead become an SEC fan. Stupid.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Besides local cable companies in your area ( I realize that Comcast does not carry ACC Network yet) the only other two options at the moment to ensure you get all the Georgia Tech sports are: (ABC, ESPN, and ACC Network or RSN)

Satellite
Direct TV

Streaming
AT&T TV
Thank you. Good information in all of your posts. The bottom line seems to be that we are screwed, which is what my research tended to suggest. I thought I had t be missing something, but apparently not.

According to the Comcast renewal page the carriage agreement with the ESPN networks expires in September. In addition the carriage agreement for several Disney channels expires in the same month along with 7 owned Disney TV stations. So that is a lot of networks and stations involved.

Hopefully they will be able to come up with a new carriage agreement before the end of September but if not more then likely they will extend the current contract until they can agree to a new carriage agreement.

Extending current contracts is not unusual. Right now Root Sports NW is listed for September but originally it showed that the carriage agreement for that network was going expire in March then July and now September. Comcast has a history of being able to negotiate new carriage agreements although sometimes they do have to extend the current contract if both parties agree to do so.

And of course you hope that when they do come up with a new carriage agreement and not extend the deal so the Atlanta in-market folks will get the ACC Network along with the RSN.

slugboy

Staff member

Satellite
Direct TV

Streaming
AT&T TV
Those are both (essentially) the same contract with FSN (now Sinclair). It will cover you for this season, but I don't know if ATT will renew the deal after this season, since no other cable outlets have.
However, we can worry about next season next year.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I have HuluTv and it does alright. It definitely carries ACCNetwork (which very few services seem to do still) but if it’s on a weird channel then I have to use weird streaming sites and watch on my phone. A few of the games last year I had to find through endless research for streams somewhere.