Turnover Tracking

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is no doubt that winning tracks turnovers and vice versa. Check out the following:
  • 2013 Fum 11 Int 13 Margin -4
  • 2012 Fum 13 Int 8 Margin 4
  • 2011 Fum 11 Int 8 Margin 2
  • 2010 Fum 20 Int 7 Margin -6
  • 2009 Fum 12 Int 6 Margin 8
  • 2008 Fum 20 int 7 Margin 2
Interesting data...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
13 picks last year. Wow. Almost double the average of prior years. Besides score, TOs are probably the most reliable stat for predicting won loss records. We need to get on the right side of this stat.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The fumble numbers also any that have occurred on special teams iirc. As bad as the Ints were Tech was actually +1 on interceptions 14/13. Fumbles were a -5 for a net -4
We may have been +1 on interceptions, as you say, but that is a terrible result when you throw less than half as much as your opponents. -5 on fumbles is probably to be expected given the amount we run and the transfer of possession methods inherent to the offense. We can improve that too, but it will be a difficult category for us to get too far ahead of the opponent. Hopefully we jar a lot of balls free this year on defense.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I find what I typed to be a bit inarticulate. Particularly as to the # of fumbles, I concur with what Boomer stated. The # of fumbles was minimal given the offense Tech runs, which speak very well as to ball security. As to interceptions, if the QB is making the right reads a 1:2 ratio (ie 7 offensive int to 14 defensive int) would shows the team clicking on both sides of the ball!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well you know we threw the ball so much more last year we should have expected more interceptions (sarcasm).
The percentage increase (over 50%) in interceptions just didn't correlate with the increase in pass attempts. I know that the QB was not the only variable in the situation, but does that mean that last years QBs try to force the situation too often?

As Boomergump stated, turnover margin are a big indicator regarding W/L records.