Turnover Issues

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Have cost us both games in conjunction with god awful free throw shooting. This team, by in large is an experienced team and yet we continue to inbound lazy passes and make poor decisions when we try to get the ball to Banks in the post....

At what point does Pastner tear into them and make them inbound for hours and hours a week during practice? Irritating doesnt even begin to describe how I feel about it.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Trust me, we all know. You sound like a damn broken record.

Do you not think that he’s all over them in practice? I’m pretty sure that he’s tearing into them, but you don’t see practice. Until we get Jose back and into a rhythm, our guys are going to have to value the ball.

He said multiple times in the post game that they were killers and that Bubba cannot have 6 from his position. That said, Arkansas is a very good defensive team and they force a lot of turnovers. I felt that we would have a higher number in this game. Not 23, but I knew it would be high.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Trust me, we all know. You sound like a damn broken record.

Do you not think that he’s all over them in practice? I’m pretty sure that he’s tearing into them, but you don’t see practice. Until we get Jose back and into a rhythm, our guys are going to have to value the ball.

He said multiple times in the post game that they were killers and that Bubba cannot have 6 from his position. That said, Arkansas is a very good defensive team and they force a lot of turnovers. I felt that we would have a higher number in this game. Not 23, but I knew it would be high.
If you have a problem with me making a post about a problem that so far has significantly impacted the season to this point well block me then! I come here to talk sports not be reprimanded by some guy who thinks the internet gives him the right to run his mouth to a stranger.

Deleted member 2897

Have cost us both games in conjunction with god awful free throw shooting. This team, by in large is an experienced team and yet we continue to inbound lazy passes and make poor decisions when we try to get the ball to Banks in the post....

At what point does Pastner tear into them and make them inbound for hours and hours a week during practice? Irritating doesnt even begin to describe how I feel about it.

I’m sure they are well of the problem, because Pastner has brought it up. It’s not helped by the fact our starting point guard is not playing. I would suspect no matter what anybody does, it will be a problem until Alvarado returns.

On free throws, I didn’t think they were bad last night. We shot over 68%. If they had made just 2 more, it would have been 77%, which seems possible but at the high end.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree free throws were not a problem last night. I think Banks made 8/10 which is awesome. I am surprised anytime Devoe misses a free throw. It seems like he should be a 90%+ free throw shooter.

Turnovers are a problem, and last night in particular were a killer.

Amazingly, we out rebounded Ark by 15 and only gave up 2 off reb (because they are so undersized). This is unusual for a Pastner team the last couple of seasons. We usually loose the battle on the boards, and therefore yield a lot of extra shot attempts to our opponent. Last night we dominated the boards and won the second chance points by a large margin, but Ark still got up more shots than we did thanks to our massive amount turnovers.

Deleted member 2897

I agree free throws were not a problem last night. I think Banks made 8/10 which is awesome. I am surprised anytime Devoe misses a free throw. It seems like he should be a 90%+ free throw shooter.

Turnovers are a problem, and last night in particular were a killer.

Amazingly, we out rebounded Ark by 15 and only gave up 2 off reb (because they are so undersized). This is unusual for a Pastner team the last couple of seasons. We usually loose the battle on the boards, and therefore yield a lot of extra shot attempts to our opponent. Last night we dominated the boards and won the second chance points by a large margin, but Ark still got up more shots than we did thanks to our massive amount turnovers.

Yep, good shooting percentage, good free throw percentage, good rebounding, and so on. We lost because of turnovers - can’t give many other teams 10 more possessions than you.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I could handle 6 TOs from Bubba if they were coming from him breaking down guys and getting into the paint. He hasn't shown that yet and we desperately need it. The TOs yesterday were killers generally just from perimeter passing or trying to feed the post. If Bubba is still just trying to fit in he needs to accelerate out of that mindset quickly. We need a dynamic penetrator/scorer that I hoped he would be when he came here. I need Kentucky Bubba not Haywood Bubba.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Nothing matches the difficulties we had under Hewitt in-bounding the basketball. After watching that, watching what we do in that regard is a pleasure.

Now, fast breaks....that's a different story.....

I love Bubba's grit, but his size is just .....well, let's just say he can be taken advantage of my guys who are taller with longer arms...they can tip his passes, and he has trouble holding the ball out of their reach. I'm not sure what he can do to overcome that. Human growth hormone maybe?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I could handle 6 TOs from Bubba if they were coming from him breaking down guys and getting into the paint. He hasn't shown that yet and we desperately need it. The TOs yesterday were killers generally just from perimeter passing or trying to feed the post. If Bubba is still just trying to fit in he needs to accelerate out of that mindset quickly. We need a dynamic penetrator/scorer that I hoped he would be when he came here. I need Kentucky Bubba not Haywood Bubba.

Like for the Haywood reference.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing matches the difficulties we had under Hewitt in-bounding the basketball. After watching that, watching what we do in that regard is a pleasure.

Now, fast breaks....that's a different story.....

I love Bubba's grit, but his size is just .....well, let's just say he can be taken advantage of my guys who are taller with longer arms...they can tip his passes, and he has trouble holding the ball out of their reach. I'm not sure what he can do to overcome that. Human growth hormone maybe?

Several times last night he was hitting defenders right in the numbers, nothing to do with human growth hormone, unless it also helps with decision making.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Several times last night he was hitting defenders right in the numbers, nothing to do with human growth hormone, unless it also helps with decision making.
It seemed like an uncharacteristically poor game from Bubba. As you noted, several of the turnovers were unforced, or at best careless. While I think he has trouble with longer guys due to size - e.g., hard for him to create separation last night 1:1 to get off a 3 - I don't think it was the main factor in the turnovers. I think (hope) he just had a poor game.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep, good shooting percentage, good free throw percentage, good rebounding, and so on. We lost because of turnovers - can’t give many other teams 10 more possessions than you.

What also contributed to the loss was the inability of our big(s) to finish plays around the rim. The most glaring being a flubbed put back at the rim on our 1st or 2nd possession of OT by Banks. The guy could have potentially went for 30 last night if he'd just have finished some plays around the basket. I'd like to see our guys just once throw down on someone like they own the paint, and I wouldn't care if they were called for a foul or not. At least provide the opposition with the illusion that you might dominate the low post.