1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Turkey and Syria

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by jayparr, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

2. LongforDodd

LongforDodd Helluva Engineer

Your home town doesn't appear to be too far from the town that Saddam bombed with chem weapons.

3. forensicbuzz

forensicbuzz Helluva Engineer

The President of the United States should never tweet something like this. This is childish and not how POTUS should be comporting himself. Respond to Pelosi in a respectful manner and she looks bad. This way he looks bad. I don't understand why those around him don't prevent this kind of crap.

4. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I don't think anybody tries to stop him anymore because they know they can't. He's a defective human being.

I spent a few minutes this morning sifting through some twitter handles on the political right. Lots of nice comments about Elijah Cummings. Not a thing from Agent Orange.

5. cyclejacket

cyclejacket Helluva Engineer

Absolutely not true. He offered condolences to the family and said a lot of nice things about a man who never had a nice word to say about him. I'm not on Twitter but it's been reported on several news sites.

6. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Yea my luck - he posted something after I posted here.

On a side note and back on topic for this thread (sorry for my diversion), but apparently we just agreed to a cease fire with Turkey.

7. B Lifsey

B Lifsey Helluva Engineer

He must read GTSwarm and saw your post :cool::cool::cool:

bwelbo likes this.
  8. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I heard that earlier, but when I Googled it, I couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?

9. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I went directly to his Twitter, where he posted something about 6 hours ago.

10. Sidewalking

Sidewalking Banned

In all honesty. The time for the GOP to behave like the only grown ups in the room is long gone. The dems have beaten the GOP over the head with this kind of nonsense for many years now and have scored political points with it. Now that they are getting a taste of their own medicine they can't tolerate it and lose their minds. I wish things were different but they aren't. He needs to keep rocking on.

11. GTRanj2

GTRanj2 Helluva Engineer

Yeah and it's a pretty garbage deal. Trump also referred to Kurds as terrorists and agrees turkey needed to clean out the area(ethnic cleansing). What a load of crap. **** Trump. I'm definitely not voting for him. Just imagine people coming to your home and saying you have 120 hours to leave or we kill you and your family. Yeah what an amazing deal Trump. Thanks for nothing. I hope the Kurds hunker down and give turkey hell. This will only bolden the Kurds. Lost a battle but never the war.

12. Supersizethatorder-mutt

One of the reasons they hate him so much is that he plays their game better than they do.

13. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I just found that CNN had reported it. According to them (if they are being honest for a change), it may not be as good as it sounds on the surface. We shall see.

14. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Well to be honest, Just like parts of the Syrian resistance, just like with Turkey itself...not all the Kurds are our allies, and that's part of the problem.

Sidewalking and Animal02 like this.
  15. Sidewalking

Sidewalking Banned

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. Some kurd groups, primarily the PKK, have used terror type tactics through the years including the murder of women and children of fellow Kurds. It's hard to argue that. The current regime in Turkey is evil in my opinion and should be expelled from Nato. We need to pull our nukes out of Incirlik yesterday. The whole area is a mess and the US honestly has little strategic interests there. I have sympathy for your feelings and would undoubtedly feel the same in your shoes. Erdogan is evil, Assad is evil, Putin is evil, the ayotollahs are evil, and the Kurds are in a bad place. I just don't think there is much the US can do to help them in their situation other than grant them asylum here, which I think is very warranted.

Milwaukee, Animal02 and bwelbo like this.
  16. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

We cannot be the world's policemen. Nor should we have meddled in Syria, Egypt and others politic and affairs.

17. takethepoints

takethepoints Helluva Engineer

"Those struggles will probably go on ad infinitum, so why should we be stuck in the middle of them?" (FIFY)

Well, that would be because we started it. Now, of course, we can walk away and hope real hard that nothing else happens. However, as you point out, the chances of that are just about zero. And the possible policy repercussions are pretty frightening. The number one thing we have to watch out for here is Israel deciding that it needs to use its atomic arsenal on Iran or other Arab states. Almost all US policy in the region has been aimed at reducing that possibility as much as possible; we don't talk about it much, but that's what's at the bottom of it all. The more unsettled the region, the greater the likelihood that they'll do it. And, if they do, what will the Russians, who are not leaving the area and are not their friends, do in retaliation? And, remember, once the first bomb drops, Israel is on its own. They probably think we will pull their chestnuts out of what ever fire they get into, but, boy, are they wrong about that. The whole world community will stand on the sidelines, the US included.

The stakes here are too great for magical thinking.

18. GTRanj2

GTRanj2 Helluva Engineer

What Kurds weren't the US's allies? What are you talking about? The Kurds were your only real Ally there buddy. Lost 12000 fighters so the West wouldn't have to deal with ISIS. How quickly people turn their backs.

19. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Well buddy, I know we have allies there. But our own country also has designated part of them a terrorist organization. The guys that are our real allies aren’t the problem.

20. GTRanj2

GTRanj2 Helluva Engineer

Funny, you should label erdogen as the terror organization here. He is blatantly killing people who have done the whole world a favor. The only reason they are labelled labelled terrorists is because they are fighting for their own country and Turkey pressured the un into labeling them that.

Keep in mind turkey banned Kurds for many years from speaking Kurdish, naming kids Kurdish names, torturing Kurds, and much more evil things. How can you not expect people to fight back. Wouldn't you?

This deal is not a deal. Turkey gets exactly what they demanded from Trump. He caved to erdogen. Turkey gets their 20 mile buffer, they've already killed many Kurds in the process, and now they can kick all Kurdish people out of their own homes so Syrian refugees can be placed into them. These are all the goals turkey had from the beginning. Trump didn't make a deal at all. This is garbage. He caved to turkey of all places when his true allies needed help. That's why even his fellow Republicans resoundingly denounced his decision in Syria.

Btw he's not bringing those 1000 troops home, he's sending them to another party if the middle East to combat Iran. Oh and he's sending around 2000 more of our US troops. So it doesn't look like he's planning on stopping policing the world.

This is a ****ty move by a sorry human being who shows no loyalty and just proved it to the world.