1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Turkey and Syria

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by jayparr, Oct 8, 2019.

1. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

No I got your joke, I was replying to mr. fast food.

2. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

From and online article ---

"If you went to school in the United States, chances are you were taught that there are seven continents: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. But using the criteria defined above, many geologists say there are six continents: Africa, Antarctica, Australia, North and South America, and Eurasia. In many parts of Europe, students are taught that there are only six continents, and teachers count North and South America as one continent.
    Why the difference? From a geological perspective, Europe and Asia are one large landmass. Dividing them into two separate continents is more of a geopolitical consideration because Russia occupies so much of the Asian continent and historically has been politically isolated from the powers of Western Europe, such as Great Britain, Germany, and France.
    Recently, some geologists have begun arguing that room should be made for a 'new' continent called Zealandia. This landmass lies off the eastern coast of Australia. New Zealand and a few minor islands are the only peaks above water; the remaining 94 percent is submerged beneath the Pacific Ocean."

I guess Zelandia is the 8th one you refer too. In reality there are only 6, since Europe and Asia are actually one continent.
    Yep, failure. LOL

3. GTRanj2

GTRanj2 Helluva Engineer

Gotcha. I agree we should not be going to war.
    Just do put real sanctions on turkey. Also should not have moved the troops (and triple the amount) to elsewhere in the M.E. and paint it as bringing them home.

Also they should have given the Kurds some real weapons so they could actually defend themselves. Right now it's just machine guns vs tanks and fighter planes.

GT_EE78 likes this.
  4. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

You and I agree about a lot of this but I think you're being a little unfair toward president Trump( and No i'm not satisfied with where things are at either)
    but you have to remember that original cooperative agreements US/Peshmerga (Bush) and US/YPG (Obama) didn't involve Trump and he is not a friend of either former president. US goals after dumping Hussein were primarily "war on terror" targets to kill off Al-Qaeda and ISIS- done. and secondarily to maintain turk land rentals for Russian counterweight. I don't believe Trumps comments for Turks is anything more than lip-service and I doubt he trusts Erdogan as far as he could throw him.
    >Everyone knows what Erdogan is up to
    a) a 20 mile buffer gobbles up the irrigable land
    b) He has about 3 mil Sunni arab syrian refugees to get rid of
    c) consolodates Turk opinion/support after he killed off enemies beating back the coup
    d) long term - not giving up on a Saudi-Turk pipeline
    > like Trump said-Russians/Assad are the Rojava Kurds (8% of Syr population) natural ally
    a) Russia won't give up the warm water port and that region just by coincidence is where Assad's alewite tribe resides.
    Russia won't allow the Saudi-Turk pipeline so Turks aren't going to drive to the Euphrates.
    Russia doesn't want to put in their troops- another ally is needed.

b) Assad's alewite tribe (16% of Syrian population) is nether Sunni nor Shia (yea he's got allies in both and a few tribes)
    Both Arab sunni and Arab Shia hate Alewites -so Assad doesn't have enough bodies to control Syria - an ally is needed.
    > Turks have leverage... US bases plus refugees to unleash on Brits/French/NATO and they are known bad actors who are pissing off THEIR allies..!
    - really need to keep the Persians and Saudis out of this,they are wildcards.

> This ceasefire isn't any deal at all, just a pause to try putting a deal together. (Trump may or may not even be a player in this deal)
    It looks like a disaster now but I hope and think that the Rojavan Kurds can maintain autonomy.. (and can if the right deal is reached.)
    and As we all know - A friend in Need is a friend Indeed!

5. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Erdogen is another in along list of Middle Eastern tyrants (Assad, Sabam, etc). Something about the region seems to breed them and that seems to be the way to keep power there...democratic politicians seem to be seen as weak. I don't claim to know much about the area, but the history throughout Islamic states of the Middle East seems to have repeating histories of one tyrant after another. Not that powerful countries don't help this whole process along by picking their favorite tyrant and being complicit in supporting them...Russia, the US, Iran, and now even China play that game...formerly played by the UK, Germany, France, and (again) Russia...

6. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I heard last night that some (not sure who the some are) are calling for the building of a wall along the Turkey - Syria border. They want to build a wall there, but not across our southern border, where, in addition to the "invasion" of immigrants, we have a far more dangerous problem with the Mexican drug cartels, whose "work" has resulted in the deaths of 30,000+ Americans in just the past 12 months. Meaning no disrespect at all for the Kurds, there are obviously people in this country who care more about them than they do about our own citizens. WOW !!!

7. GTRambler

GTRambler Helluva Engineer

8. Animal02

Animal02 Helluva Engineer

9. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Sidewalking likes this.
  10. Sidewalking

Sidewalking Ramblin' Wreck

Milwaukee likes this.
  11. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

AP has been an anti-trump dirtbag for quite a while. US/UK media are bombarding us with fake news and neocon anti-trump propaganda right now. I'm not certain, but both you and Breitbart may have been misled. I wouldn't put it past AP to have paid them and provided the veggies. I've never seen Breitbart citing Rudaw before. Rudaw is known for being anti-Rojavan and i don't understan the kurdish versus kurdish infighting but know that it exists. Breitbart has been citing Kurdistan24 over the several weeks which seems more reliable. K24 doesn't appear to be running the veggie story. Personally i'm not buying it.

12. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

>Hard to know whats really going on but the US/UK media story of total pullout appears to have been total BS.
    >Even AP has backtracked but as usual appears negative.
    Trump OKs wider Syria oil mission, raising legal questions
    https://apnews.com/251062e322ab4bba99251fe59c90540a
    > Rojavan autonomy still sounds possible.This Israeli website says we're retaining control of much Syrian airspace
    https://www.debka.com/trump-pivots-on-n-syria-some-us-troops-to-stay-one-air-base-retained/
    This website is Kurdish..“Soon we will provide Peshmerga forces with more than 100 armored Humvees, mortar systems, and other weapons systems,” Col. Myles Caggins, Spokesman for the US-led Coalition, formally known as Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Resolve (CJTF-OIR), told Kurdistan 24, after his press briefing in Erbil on Tuesday.
    >> maybe if we'll do this in Rojava, then we can actually get our troops out ...
    https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/interview/7aacd48f-f02b-4205-b800-cbb2bb30e8d0

back closer to the thread subject.this article has Syria/Rojava Kurdish history
    Syrian Kurds: A short political history (1918-2019)
    https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/opinion/b64c79ed-c4a8-4fe2-bb40-ac0908dfb134

GTRanj2 likes this.