Tulane Special Teams Versus GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we were better, A- overall:

Returning – Better blocking for Golden and he had returns of 44 and 34 yards. CPJ said we should have fair caught punt which must have been the one in first quarter at 8:08 since we fair caught or returned everything else.

Opponent kicking – Awful is being nice. Most HS teams are better. Safety was unforced luck shows what a LS can do to the team. Having Sean Tobin as rSr will help us a lot. Second right now is Casey Wilson rFr. Makes sense to RS these guys and let them mature. Have to be flawless as a LS or you are scandalized – we have had one bad snap out of over 20 this year and everyone remembers that one, not the others.

Butker – Looked good overall with 7 of 10 either TB or to end zone. First hit the band (should be unsportsmanlike penalty?). Was there much wind? All his 1st and 4th quarter KOs were TBs or 65+ yards. Coverage was ok but not great, with returns of 28, 26, 18 and 18 yards. I think some off the KOs listed as 65 yards were further and returned.
l1argdciotldq2d6g.jpg

Alcorn State: https://gtswarm.com/threads/alcorn-state-game-special-teams.7786/

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Wow their punt team is an absolute train wreck.

Including offensive fumble they probably spotted us 21-28 pts doing dumb stuff. Even without that we still would have covered the spread.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Great job Nuke- do not know how I missed the post thus far. ST will be the difference this Saturday!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great job Nuke- do not know how I missed the post thus far. ST will be the difference this Saturday!

Thanks, I actually like doing it .... after the fourth or fifth game I'll start bringing out the Football Outsiders ST stats. FO does the most of anyone I've seen for the college game.

At 20% of the game, ST make a difference. My respect for this aspect of the game was reaffirmed when we were so bad (AF bowl) and lost games that way.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Tulane's special teams were an absolute disgrace, for the second weekend in a row. If I were their head coach, I'd fire the special teams coach sine die. However, that the situation wasn't addressed after the debacle against Puke shows that the Greenies may not have the head coach they need. I read in the Times-Picayune that he was "… going to put starters on his special teams next week." Pitiful.

We looked great, oth, and took advantage of every miscue on their side. I was especially happy to see us block that punt; for a second there, it looked like he'd get the ball off.

I doubt we'll get such gifts at South Bend, however. Kelly would have murdered his special teams coach in cold blood on the sidelines under similar circumstances.