Tulane Postgame

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am cautiously pleased with progress on defense. CPJ definitely isn't overwhelmed by them yet, nor is he singing hosannas about the Oline for that matter. But, I liked how Roof had taken out some starters and then Tulane started moving the ball so he put them back in and there was a shot of him livid about it up in the booth. They are trying to build depth but also keep a fire on all of the guys to progress as a unit and not take any plays off. I can see the effort and want to from coaches and players and that is enough for 2 games in to have me pleased (cautiously) so far.

I loved Brandon's description of Skov as running with the ball like a senior who recognizes that every carry is one closer to his last collegiate carry. I think Laskey played his career treating each opportunity like it would be his last. If Skov can impress the young backs with such effort maybe that mentality of playing every snap like it will be your last in the game you love will become part of this team's identity.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Just re-watched the first 4 defensive series with Gamble and Hunt alternating. Gamble still gets tall and gets pushed around. Jabari doesn't hand fight enough, but he can move people with his weight and lower center of gravity. I don't think Jabari is doing that bad. He just lacks the technique which is not surprising for a guy who hasn't been playing the position long. Just as a comparison, the RS-Fr DT for Clemson, Pagano, is a beast. He is just judo chopping linemen out of the way. Gotsis is really subtle. He'll slap an OL's hand away, and he's so deceptively quick he just is past him in an eyelash. But Gotsis does still get high and skinny on some plays like Gamble and just get pushed back. The thing that makes a difference with DTs that the Auburns and Clemsons of the world have is that they are heavy and strong enough to muscle through a double team. We don't have that, and we may never. But our speed and quickness at DE is noticeably better in terms of pass rush this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who's the other A-back who will probably compete at QB next year?

Taquon Marshall?

CPJ has said several times, and I'm paraphrasing "I'm not sure if Taquan Marshall's position isn't QB before it's all said and done." Him saying that today isn't really a surprise if anyone has been paying attention.

With the medical questions surrounding Ratliffe, and the youth of Campbell and whoever we bring in this year (if we do at all), we need some extra bodies at QB to compete and develop. Not just to be QB2 in 2016, but to be the possible starter in 2017. The guy you really think could play at QB from the freshmen group is AJ Gray, but I think Roof has him locked up on defense.

thwgjacket

What a JOKE the official crew was today when it came to the time clock.

What was with letting the clock run for about a minute to "verify a a first down".

Then and even dumber move to tell the clock keeper to reset the time from 14:51 to 15 minutes after MJ's TD run. MJ is quick, but i don't think hat he can run 65 yards in less than one half of a second.
On the MJ TD run Tulane only had 9 players on the field on defense. You can count them in the highlight video if you pause it. Idk if that's a penalty that's calls for a resetting of the clock even if declined. I thought their safeties would catch him then I realized they weren't on the field.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Guys who impressed me on offense:
1. Searcy- heard good things but while watching the spring game wasn't expecting a lot out of him this year. Great athlete with really good and deceptive speed, also a great reciever. Could takeover as our go to AB over Snoddy. Snoddy is good but not very athletic in receiving pitches or making guys miss.

2. Taqaon Marshall- very good athlete and one guy that I underrated tremendously in our freshman class. I think him and Searcy will be our standard at AB for years to come, despite all the other great talents we have on the sideline.

3. Matthew Jordan- Glad he showed that he can be effective and is a better option QB than I thought.

4. Trey Klock- not 100% but it seemed as if he was the main guy at RG and done a good job.

Defense:

1. Tyler Macordes- made a lot of good plays and got pressure on the QB

2. Adam Gotsis- others have mentioned but idk if JHD is freeing Gotsis up more but he has really turned it up. JHD hasn't stood out at all but if he is helping Gotsis reak havoc than that works too.

3. Rod Rook-Chungong- good player that is very solid. Thought he was a big drop off from Gamble but has proven me wrong.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Watching Qua try to hide his happiness and play it cool in the interview is awesome. You can see he's about to bust from the raw emotion he had to be feeling. Skov in the other looked like the seasoned vet that he is. All in all, we've got some good kids in the program that are easy to root for.

Skov is so mature in both body and mind, it really feels like having a NFL veteran transfer onto the team, pretty damned awesome

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has said several times, and I'm paraphrasing "I'm not sure if Taquan Marshall's position isn't QB before it's all said and done." Him saying that today isn't really a surprise if anyone has been paying attention.

With the medical questions surrounding Ratliffe, and the youth of Campbell and whoever we bring in this year (if we do at all), we need some extra bodies at QB to compete and develop. Not just to be QB2 in 2016, but to be the possible starter in 2017. The guy you really think could play at QB from the freshmen group is AJ Gray, but I think Roof has him locked up on defense.

And i think iirc Gray and his family have stated he wants to play Safety where he has the best shot at playing pro ball

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I think AJ will get a look at QB, too.