Tulane OL

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
we play on artificial turf which usually really hot,if their big line leans on us enough Mr Kallon may get some playing time after all

Animal02

Banned
In the early days of artificial surface, and the surfaces varied, the right type of cleat was a big issue and had effects in some games. Technology has progressed and I do not know whether this is as big an issue as it once was. Surely we will know what shoes to wear!

The original astro turf was like padded carpet on asphalt. I remember playing around on Grant Field at night (back when the stadium was open 24/7) and they were sections duct tapped together. The new stuff is more natural, but my understanding is the "rubber fill" needs to get compacted before the turf reaches it prime.......the first times it gets used is when you see all the fill material fly up when players change direction.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The original astro turf was like padded carpet on asphalt. I remember playing around on Grant Field at night (back when the stadium was open 24/7) and they were sections duct tapped together. The new stuff is more natural, but my understanding is the "rubber fill" needs to get compacted before the turf reaches it prime.......the first times it gets used is when you see all the fill material fly up when players change direction.
I bet our use of the indoor facility went up this week. Our guys should be well accustomed to field turf, assuming that's what we have in there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Good point about the rule change that allows holding on the offense today. In that day your hands had to stay in and not extend. 50 sounds a little high but that was Orange bowl 1963 I think. Too long ago to remember accurately.
I too had forgotten about the rule change. When we were playing pee-wee football about that time we even had handles sewn onto our jersey (as offensive linemen) that we would grab with our hands to keep our arms against our chest and our elbows out.

I too think 50 pounds is a little high but the other thing I remember is that by the late 60s early 70s a lot offensive teams ran with a "strong side" and a "quick side" with their offensive line. Tech would have a "strong side" on one side of the center of players who were in the 230-245 range and a "quick side" on the other side of the center in which the players were more in the 205-215 range. This philosophy of linemen size did not last as long as other philosophies.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Right on! Sugar or Orange Bowl; there only 4 major bowls at that time. Plus the gator bowl I believe. Was different time different era. I was being conservative in my difference in how much Bama was out weighed I too believe it was around 30.

I had forgotten the quote of Bryant. Wasn't the final something like Bama 62 NE 14?
I could look the score up but I believe it was more like 37-7. The surprising part of the score to me at the time was that Alabama's "tiny" defense bottled up Nebraska's big beefy offense. The other side of the ball was easy to understand given that both the quarterback and the primary receiver ended up being professional all stars. Stabler and Perkins, right?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Right on! Sugar or Orange Bowl; there only 4 major bowls at that time. Plus the gator bowl I believe. Was different time different era. I was being conservative in my difference in how much Bama was out weighed I too believe it was around 30.

I had forgotten the quote of Bryant. Wasn't the final something like Bama 62 NE 14?

Orange in 65 i think. Bama won 38 - 21 or something like that. Saw it in person. Even better saw Texas - bama in Orange year before . GREAT GAME Texas won. Made game winning goal line stand. Bama had 1st down on like the 2 yard line. Not only did bama not score but none of their OL ever cross the goal line. UT D led by some guy named Nobis.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Orange in 65 i think. Bama won 38 - 21 or something like that. Saw it in person. Even better saw Texas - bama in Orange year before . GREAT GAME Texas won. Made game winning goal line stand. Bama had 1st down on like the 2 yard line. Not only did bama not score but none of their OL ever cross the goal line. UT D led by some guy named Nobis.
Namath at quarterback?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't forget, brand new turf is sometimes very slippery and hard to make fast "cuts" on.

I'm assuming that the new turf is the European soccer type turf where you have a bed of poly beads covered by the plastic grass. That's what the HS in town got 5 years ago and it is a dream to run on. Very fast and best of all soft for the landings.

Edit: just saw Animial's post. That'll be soft stuff. Good - less injuries for all concerned.

Not like the old Grant Field artificial turf that was concrete with a astro turf rug. That stuff was so hard you could bounce pass frisbees off it.

Either way, neither team should have a lot of experience with it. Next year will be different.

Just please tell me it isn't that awful blue (Boise) :eek:

waveprof

Georgia Tech Fan
Just please tell me it isn't that awful blue (Boise) :eek:
It alternates every five yards between kelly green and olive green with a white checkerboard endzone. The area where the two teams stand is a bold, neon blue.

Apparently y'all wanted to bring the Ramblin' Wreck but we said no because we were worried about tire marks on our new turf.

I could look the score up but I believe it was more like 37-7. The surprising part of the score to me at the time was that Alabama's "tiny" defense bottled up Nebraska's big beefy offense. The other side of the ball was easy to understand given that both the quarterback and the primary receiver ended up being professional all stars. Stabler and Perkins, right?
As a rat I recall a cheer, "Big fat farmboys; big fat farmboys". I cannot remember the opponent, though.

Animal02

Banned
It alternates every five yards between kelly green and olive green with a white checkerboard endzone. The area where the two teams stand is a bold, neon blue.

Apparently y'all wanted to bring the Ramblin' Wreck but we said no because we were worried about tire marks on our new turf.
I am pretty sure that the policy is the Wreck only goes to home games and neutral fields. (besides wedding receptions and other rental appearances) Tennessee made that policy happen back in '63