Tulane OL

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
That was a bowl game, if I remember correctly and Nebraska outweighed Alabama by closer to 30-35 pounds a man on the line. That period of football still fascinates me. The big debate then was whether to go with a big line or go with smaller faster linemen. Bryant was asked before the game how his team was going to be able to stay on the same field with Nebraska and he said, "We're going to out quick them."

Side note. Alabama had an All American guard by the name of Cecil Dowdy, still considered one of their best linemen ever, who weighed around 195.
Right on! Sugar or Orange Bowl; there only 4 major bowls at that time. Plus the gator bowl I believe. Was different time different era. I was being conservative in my difference in how much Bama was out weighed I too believe it was around 30.

I had forgotten the quote of Bryant. Wasn't the final something like Bama 62 NE 14?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
they are fat and they zone. If our DL plays its assignment and hits the gaps there should be no issue. The issue comes with guys this size or bigger that can move, zone and drive. these guys pillow fight. I watched the tulsa game. I am not concerned unless our MLB plays as poorly as vs wofford.
Plus the scheme will be way different and maybe Nealy can be aggressive.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Those dimensions scream "pass protection" to me. My guess is they don't have the leverage or quickness for run blocking. On the other hand, it might be darned hard to get through them on pass plays unless someone rushes they aren't expecting.

thwgjacket

The funny thing is if you go look at their board they're worried about our DL the most. Apparently most of their runs against Tulsa came off tackle or were pitched wide. They also think our DB's are our weakness. The opposite thinking of most GT fans.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing is if you go look at their board they're worried about our DL the most. Apparently most of their runs against Tulsa came off tackle or were pitched wide. They also think our DB's are our weakness. The opposite thinking of most GT fans.

thats cuz their OL is big but no talent. If we use our hands disruptively we should be in the backfield alot. If we don't get leverage and allow them to grab then like with anyone it will suck

waveprof

Georgia Tech Fan
Being big and being good are two different things.
Precisely. And our OL was the worst in the NCAA in my opinion two years ago, and only marginally better last year. I'm sure we've improved since then (and Tulsa showed signs of that), but the weight ain't going to be what does it. I hope we run a fair amount, but if we try to run it down your throats, you'll win big. The air is where we can burn you IMO. If we don't, you win (big).

Precisely. And our OL was the worst in the NCAA in my opinion two years ago, and only marginally better last year. I'm sure we've improved since then (and Tulsa showed signs of that), but the weight ain't going to be what does it. I hope we run a fair amount, but if we try to run it down your throats, you'll win big. The air is where we can burn you IMO. If we don't, you win (big).
What is the weather forecast? Artificial turf there, correct?

thwgjacket

You must not know about the White and Golden, Johnson that awaits you. Word play...Boom...also Milton and Smith.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I never played on artificial. I didn't realize it varied much except wet or dry. I don't think they have been on it very much.

Is this a different type artificial than we have on our practice field?

In the early days of artificial surface, and the surfaces varied, the right type of cleat was a big issue and had effects in some games. Technology has progressed and I do not know whether this is as big an issue as it once was. Surely we will know what shoes to wear!

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember when Chan didn't have us wearing the right cleats for the Emerald Bowl game (against Utah, I think). We looked like we were on ice skates.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That was a bowl game, if I remember correctly and Nebraska outweighed Alabama by closer to 30-35 pounds a man on the line. That period of football still fascinates me. The big debate then was whether to go with a big line or go with smaller faster linemen. Bryant was asked before the game how his team was going to be able to stay on the same field with Nebraska and he said, "We're going to out quick them."

Side note. Alabama had an All American guard by the name of Cecil Dowdy, still considered one of their best linemen ever, who weighed around 195.
It was more like 50 lbs, if I remember right. Bama was as fast as lightening and, since you couldn't hold legally in those days (that's what "zone blocking" is, you know), they cut Nebraska up like sheep. And, again if I remember right, Dowdy played OT.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It was more like 50 lbs, if I remember right. Bama was as fast as lightening and, since you couldn't hold legally in those days (that's what "zone blocking" is, you know), they cut Nebraska up like sheep. And, again if I remember right, Dowdy played OT.
Good point about the rule change that allows holding on the offense today. In that day your hands had to stay in and not extend. 50 sounds a little high but that was Orange bowl 1963 I think. Too long ago to remember accurately.