Tuesday Practice Notes

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You need to rotate at least 3 guys in there. Chamberlain, Roberts, and ???? If we move Will to tackle with Braun sliding up to starter at guard, that'll give us a 3-man rotation at guard, too: Braun, mason and Brigham.

If only O'Reilly could handle the center spot, that would solve a lot.

Finch, please be ok!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line, we have 4 OL out, Freddy, Finch, Caitlin(for good) and Bailey. That doesn't even count Beno who was hurt earlier. These are Linemen that we were counting on to either be starters or provide good minutes.... I have watched for the past 5 years our QB's scrambling for their lives in passing situations and was always told, just wait till the line matures... This is the year they are mature and they are dropping like flies.

I don't like the prospect of having a 1st year QB running for his life, even if he is THE VAD LEE.
It really depends on the situation, down and distance. In obvious passing situations, yeah, you're right. In situations where we can run play action: first down, 2nd and short, third and short, not so much.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
His shirt is already gone, he's listed on the two deep behind Beno at LT. Beno will most likely move to center bumping Griffin up to first team. That's a bit scary, a true frosh starting at LT.

I wonder how many of these injuries would be "suck it up and get out there" injuries if they happened in season?

The plan is to redshirt Griffin still...if Finch is out for awhile that could change things.

ToddM

Wait min guys, isn't O'Reily the same person that everyone was so happy to get when he transferred from Auburn ?

And if so wasnt everyone saying he was a 4 star prospect when he was recruited ?

Why r we down on him so much ?

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Wait min guys, isn't O'Reily the same person that everyone was so happy to get when he transferred from Auburn ?

And if so wasnt everyone saying he was a 4 star prospect when he was recruited ?

He's still young (redshirt sophomore) and hasn't played a single game for us yet?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm actually still kind of high on O'Reilly, but I don't think he's done everything he should've done in the last year to get into game shape. I hope he works out at Center because he may be able to add some pass-blocking strength.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

I don't think it's that people are down on O'Reily...it's just we know how good Finch is and the center position is the most important one for our offense.

I still like him.

ToddM

Oh ok, I was just gonna say I thought I missed something for a min there. Well I guess I did b/c I thought he played some at AU.

Either way ultimately this could be a good thing. If he is as talented as I have read some game time experience against Elon and Duke could be the preverbal lemonade from lemons thing.

I agree Finch isn't replaceable right now but if this had happened during the Duke game I would be a lot more concerned. Right now I am of the thought that good athletes come through when called upon.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm not high on O'Reilly. Obviously the coaches aren't either since he's behind just about every other scholarship lineman we have and the only reason he's even being talked about as a possibility to play is that we've become that desperate to be on our 5th string guy at the most important position on the line. There hasn't been anything to be high about. He hasn't shown anything since being at GT. Everything I've heard is something along the lines of "he still needs a lot of work". Translation: "he's not very good". This is why we would probably move Beno from a position he's been starting at for 2 years now instead. I would love to be proven wrong, and sorry to be so pessimistic.