Eric

Retired Co-Founder
- Finch still out and is going to see doctor tomorrow

- Today was CPJ's birthday...he had a cake and the team sang happy birthday

- Anthony Williams in red today but will be back ready to go tomorrow

- Errin Joe in sling still

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Just imagine if O'Reilly hadn't gotten his waiver... we'd be in pretty bad shape. That early bye week is looking more like a blessing with all these injuries.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Just imagine if O'Reilly hadn't gotten his waiver... we'd be in pretty bad shape. That early bye week is looking more like a blessing with all these injuries.

Brigham got the waiver not O'Reily...O'reily is the one who transferred in from Auburn.

I would expect Beno to get the nod at C.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I am majorly worried. We're basically down to our 4th string center if we're playing O'Reilly. He's a guy that Sewak said just a few months ago still had a long way to go (before he was forced to move to C out of our desparation). Finch down, Burden down, Alford quit ... We're in a tight spot, a that's a major freakin' understatement. With a healthy Finch in there to go along with superstar Shaq Mason and senior leader Will Jackson, we're looking at an unstoppable force - smashing people on the dive, which then forces the defense's hand and makes the entire offense open up. A sweet season of the spread option show, hosted by Vad Lee.

But, Shaq Mason-superstar and Vad Lee-superstar won't matter if we've got a NT owning us or can't cut off the backside ILB or don't know who to block or can't pass block with pressure coming up the middle or can't convert a 4th and short on a QB sneak.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am majorly worried. We're basically down to our 4th string center if we're playing O'Reilly. He's a guy that Sewak said just a few months ago still had a long way to go (before he was forced to move to C out of our desparation). Finch down, Burden down, Alford quit ... We're in a tight spot, a that's a major freakin' understatement. With a healthy Finch in there to go along with superstar Shaq Mason and senior leader Will Jackson, we're looking at an unstoppable force - smashing people on the dive, which then forces the defense's hand and makes the entire offense open up. A sweet season of the spread option show, hosted by Vad Lee.

But, Shaq Mason-superstar and Vad Lee-superstar won't matter if we've got a NT owning us or can't cut off the backside ILB or don't know who to block or can't pass block with pressure coming up the middle or can't convert a 4th and short on a QB sneak.

Same concerns here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling that the chance for playing time might light a fire with O'Reilly. We've got some time with Elon, Bye, Duke to figure it out. However, it would certainly be a lot easier if Finch comes out okay.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Beno would have likely been #2 in any big game situation...CPJ doesn't sound too worried right now.

I would feel a lot better if we had Finch back though.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
What's the ETA on Finch's return? Should have been back this week right? We still have 3 weeks before the Duke game so he should be back right?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Look folks, injuries are part of the game. If Finch is out it goes to Beno, or perhaps O'Reilly is he can improve a whole lot in the next 3 weeks. Most teams do not go through a season without injuries on the OL. Sure I would like to go through the 12 games with the best starting 22 not missing any games. But, not gonna happen.

We believe we have quality depth. We will find out. It is a TEAM you know.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
Look folks, injuries are part of the game. If Finch is out it goes to Beno, or perhaps O'Reilly is he can improve a whole lot in the next 3 weeks. Most teams do not go through a season without injuries on the OL. Sure I would like to go through the 12 games with the best starting 22 not missing any games. But, not gonna happen.

I mean it is and it isn't. Not everyone on the team is equally talented, experienced or gifted... This will especially show when snaps start getting bobbled... Which will suck big time.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Finch is arguably the player we could least afford to lose...people wouldn't be as worried if it was another player or position.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Count me as a person worried, not just because Finch is the key to our Oline, but the domino affects this is going to have. I bet if Finch is gone for a long time, that means Griffin's shirt is pulled for depth.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Count me as a person worried, not just because Finch is the key to our Oline, but the domino affects this is going to have. I bet if Finch is gone for a long time, that means Griffin's shirt is pulled for depth.
His shirt is already gone, he's listed on the two deep behind Beno at LT. Beno will most likely move to center bumping Griffin up to first team. That's a bit scary, a true frosh starting at LT.

I wonder how many of these injuries would be "suck it up and get out there" injuries if they happened in season?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

That's really the biggest separator though between a GT and a factory. We can find some really good players, but we can't get them in the same quantities as the factories. Key players staying healthy has always been one of the biggest (often overlooked) factors affecting our success (or lack thereof). A season can change in the blink of an eye (see 2010 Josh Nesbitt, 2007 Tashard Choice, 2002 Tony Hollings). And, the hard part is it's out of anyone's control. It can define a coach's career (and a program) and he has no control over it whatsoever.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
His shirt is already gone, he's listed on the two deep behind Beno at LT. Beno will most likely move to center bumping Griffin up to first team. That's a bit scary, a true frosh starting at LT.

I wonder how many of these injuries would be "suck it up and get out there" injuries if they happened in season?
Have heard that Chase Roberts may go before Griffin regardless of the depth chart in order to preserve the redshirt. This would make a lot of sense if it's really just to bide time in the first couple games until we get Bailey back.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line, we have 4 OL out, Freddy, Finch, Caitlin(for good) and Bailey. That doesn't even count Beno who was hurt earlier. These are Linemen that we were counting on to either be starters or provide good minutes.... I have watched for the past 5 years our QB's scrambling for their lives in passing situations and was always told, just wait till the line matures... This is the year they are mature and they are dropping like flies.

I don't like the prospect of having a 1st year QB running for his life, even if he is THE VAD LEE.