Tucker Gleason Enters the Transfer Portal

So I guess in this age of football, if you are not the starter you transfer. I will reserve comments about what this says about players but the impact on the team is heavy. If you build your offense around your starting QB and he goes down, I guess you really don't have a number 2 and your team goes down with it. Which to me says you better not rely on talent and you better have a scheme that players can fit into.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
So I guess in this age of football, if you are not the starter you transfer. I will reserve comments about what this says about players but the impact on the team is heavy. If you build your offense around your starting QB and he goes down, I guess you really don't have a number 2 and your team goes down with it. Which to me says you better not rely on talent and you better have a scheme that players can fit into.
Your number 2 will more than likely always be a younger player.
So our number 2 will be Peery next year. If we land MJ Morris and he is balling out in practice as a freshman (Sims junior year) then I would expect Peery to transfer and MJ to take over when Sims leaves.

Basically you take 2 scholly QBs in a year expect 1 to leave. Rightfully so.

Most schools use the younger QB process. Clemson has Trevor and his back up is the 5 star QB from 2020. If I was a 18 yr old knowing I wasn't going to start and I could somewhere else I'd leave. ESPECIALLY if I'm trying to go pro which I would hope 95% of the kids we are recruiting expect to do.

Your number 2 will more than likely always be a younger player.
So our number 2 will be Peery next year. If we land MJ Morris and he is balling out in practice as a freshman (Sims junior year) then I would expect Peery to transfer and MJ to take over when Sims leaves.

Basically you take 2 scholly QBs in a year expect 1 to leave. Rightfully so.

Most schools use the younger QB process. Clemson has Trevor and his back up is the 5 star QB from 2020. If I was a 18 yr old knowing I wasn't going to start and I could somewhere else I'd leave. ESPECIALLY if I'm trying to go pro which I would hope 95% of the kids we are recruiting expect to do.
I understand the logic. I do have one issue, if we are telling 95% of our recruits that they have a good shot at going pro......well....maybe they need to really focus on math. 2% is all that make it in all of College Football.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am sure he was always the #4 QB at Tech. Most kids playing behind three other young players are going to assume there is little chance of them getting meaningful PT. While I hate to see kids leave the program, he has to discover how far he can go in football. It was not likely to happen at GT.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I understand the logic. I do have one issue, if we are telling 95% of our recruits that they have a good shot at going pro......well....maybe they need to really focus on math. 2% is all that make it in all of College Football.
No, we aren't telling them they have a great shot at going pro. The idea is the kid believes whole heartedly they will make it. We are saying we will give you a great shot at it and Collins will leave no stone unturned to get them on a roster. Nate Cottrell is an example.

I don't want a kid coming on the roster that doesn't expect to be in the NFL. They need to know extreme hard work and adversity will be faced, but they should be working towards it.

2% of all college rosters, yes. But 30-40% of the Alabama roster, 20-30% of the Clemson roster goes pro.

The idea is to get to that level. It IS achievable here at GT.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I am sure he was always the #4 QB at Tech. Most kids playing behind three other young players are going to assume there is little chance of them getting meaningful PT. While I hate to see kids leave the program, he has to discover how far he can go in football. It was not likely to happen at GT.
I always believed he was a MAC or AAC QB. He can find some really good success in those conferences.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No knock on Gleason, but I thought he would have a hard time seeing the field here. I really liked his JR film, but struggled a LOT his senior season when he was the focal point of his HS's offense. Playing at the P5 level at any position is tough, but as a P5 QB, you are clearly one of the best players on the field during all games.

He'll do well at Toledo with his old HS coach who knows him. He's got the tools to be a good QB (size, athleticism, a good arm), but GT is starting to recruit well at QB so anyone that comes here regardless of your rating better bring it or else they'll be sitting. I have ZERO doubts if our staff could recruit an immediate starter that's better than Sims, they'll do it without thinking twice. Nature of the business now.

Good luck to Tucker. He was our first QB commit for this staff, and he didn't waver. He also was a good teammate and repped GT well...that means something. I hope he goes to Toledo and becomes All Conference.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
No, we aren't telling them they have a great shot at going pro. The idea is the kid believes whole heartedly they will make it. We are saying we will give you a great shot at it and Collins will leave no stone unturned to get them on a roster. Nate Cottrell is an example.

I don't want a kid coming on the roster that doesn't expect to be in the NFL. They need to know extreme hard work and adversity will be faced, but they should be working towards it.

2% of all college rosters, yes. But 30-40% of the Alabama roster, 20-30% of the Clemson roster goes pro.

The idea is to get to that level. It IS achievable here at GT.

true but it remains to be seen how this portal thing is going to impact Clemson and Alabama. If you are a 5 star why even go to the factory’s anymore ? if you do go, see if you can beat out the other 5 star and if you don’t then leave.

I think the portal thins out everyone’s depth charts.

I think Georgia already had 6 in the portal, who knows how many they lose.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Once we signed Sims, that competition was gonna decide who stayed and who went. Wish he had had a proper preseason to compete.

With Gleason and Graham gone, you gotta hope Yates stays. He seems pretty happy at Tech and we need a backup who knows the offense. He will likely graduate with multiple years of eligibility thanks to the free year, as well.

Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Once we signed Sims, that competition was gonna decide who stayed and who went. Wish he had had a proper preseason to compete.

With Gleason and Graham gone, you gotta hope Yates stays. He seems pretty happy at Tech and we need a backup who knows the offense. He will likely graduate with multiple years of eligibility thanks to the free year, as well.
One indication

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta assume the staff is clearly telling everyone that Sims is our guy barring injury, given the fact that this year didn’t count. Any QB leaving would be leaving a QB competition here in order to go to another team and be in a QB competition there. Either way starting as a freshman is an uphill battle anywhere.

this stuff will take years for me to adjust to, dangerous getting excited about our talent or depth now.

12 leaving as of right now

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, as has been said, he struggled in his senior year. I hope he doesn't harbor ill will because a lot of programs would've moved on based on that. It would've been better for us and him to have had a full spring practice before this season to shake things out, but that's how it goes sometimes. I expect any QB we bring in to be more active on the camp circuit going forward. There's definitely a benefit there.