Truth

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Exactly right and an easy read. I am going to forward to our HS coach and AD.
We have a young man that I want us to look at. A little guy but quick, good hands, tough, plays some D when needed, returns punts, KO, at Texas 6A level. Good academics and a great young man confirmed by my grandson.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Unfortunately, programs are doing their part in perpetuating this. Big-time recruiting is often about puffing up someone's ego (or even wallet). If someone has lived their whole lives never having to confront reality, they won't appreciate honest feedback when it's offered. So it becomes a sweepstakes wherein every guy believes they are going to make the team, start, be an all-american, first round draft pick, make an NFL roster, be a pro-bowler, get a boatload of money, and have a never-ending stream of it when they do. Suggesting otherwise will torpedo you.

It seems only the guys with a bit more character to them make it all the way, and that doesn't necessarily mean better educated, better grades, wealthier family, etc.

I think we need to sell something different to potential S-As. While it significantly narrows the pool, it helps the whole become greater than the sum of its parts. We can definitely do better getting the word out. Seeing the work some of our players are doing in the recruiting game is great, as is the vision that AD Stansbury is trying to execute.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. Unfortunately, programs are doing their part in perpetuating this. Big-time recruiting is often about puffing up someone's ego (or even wallet). If someone has lived their whole lives never having to confront reality, they won't appreciate honest feedback when it's offered. So it becomes a sweepstakes wherein every guy believes they are going to make the team, start, be an all-american, first round draft pick, make an NFL roster, be a pro-bowler, get a boatload of money, and have a never-ending stream of it when they do. Suggesting otherwise will torpedo you.

It seems only the guys with a bit more character to them make it all the way, and that doesn't necessarily mean better educated, better grades, wealthier family, etc.

I think we need to sell something different to potential S-As. While it significantly narrows the pool, it helps the whole become greater than the sum of its parts. We can definitely do better getting the word out. Seeing the work some of our players are doing in the recruiting game is great, as is the vision that AD Stansbury is trying to execute.
I think the entitlement mentality kind of plays into our favor in recruiting. In our situation a player has to have a little something about him to handle the reality of the academics. We also seem to get many kids who haven't been handed everything. Those are the kids who don't transfer, don't break team rules, don't get arrested and you can count on when you need them!