Trump / Putin / foreign relations

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The political scandal debate getting a bit derailed and this topic deserves its own thread imo.

Trump has reason to criticize FBI / DOJ / and our intel agencies imo. Having said that, I’m not pleased at all with Trump’s foreign relations to this point and his gripes with FBI / DOJ / CIA should not be coloring his policies the way it seems to.

To be more clear. I have no problem with the pressure he has applied regarding NATO. I applaud that actually. I’m not in support of POTUS giving criticism of our allies domestic policies, just like I think they should stfu about ours. I personally think a clean quick BREXIT would be best for the U.K. I just don’t think POTUS should be expressing his own opinions about same in public. Leave that crap for behind closed doors and face to face discussions.

With regard to our geopolitical adversaries. I think Trump is wetting the bed. With regards to Putin in particular. I’m not impressed at all with Helsinki talks.

Deleted member 2897

I can't decide which Meme best represents my reaction to Trumps press conference today.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Eh.....not much to see here. Trump obviously does not want to go to war with Putin, and may want to see if he can improve relations.

I'm not sure I view this in any worse light than Obama leaning over and whispering off mic to "tell Putin that after the election I will have more flexibility".....and then later unilaterally deciding to pull missile defense from eastern Europe.....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Eh.....not much to see here. Trump obviously does not want to go to war with Putin, and may want to see if he can improve relations.

I'm not sure I view this in any worse light than Obama leaning over and whispering off mic to "tell Putin that after the election I will have more flexibility".....and then later unilaterally deciding to pull missile defense from eastern Europe.....

That’s the problem imo. Both instances imply a limp wristed policy regarding Russia. It’s foolishness on display by both. Ef Russia and Putin. Very few of their geopolitical goals align with ours, quite the contrary. And our leaders should be clear on this with them.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm not sure how to feel about this whole ordeal.. I voted for Trump because he showed testicular fortitude and I was certain that he would've showed that today during the meeting with Putin. I cant defend his passive aggressive demeanor or the way he blasted our intelligence agencies, regardless of their never ending attacks on our president and ultimately the millions of Americans who voted for him.. I had hoped the Summit would've went in a different direction. I'm not sure where this will go from here, but it certainly appeared that he was covering up for Putin.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how to feel about this whole ordeal.. I voted for Trump because he showed testicular fortitude and I was certain that he would've showed that today during the meeting with Putin. I cant defend his passive aggressive demeanor or the way he blasted our intelligence agencies, regardless of their never ending attacks on our president and ultimately the millions of Americans who voted for him.. I had hoped the Summit would've went in a different direction. I'm not sure where this will go from here, but it certainly appeared that he was covering up for Putin.
I agree with President Trump about our Intelligence Agencies;)

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I dont support their actions 100% myself.. they mettle in Americans business far too much and they waste our tax dollars with these BS investigations. But calling them out in front of the entire world is plain wrong and shows weakness. Let's deal with these issues within our borders, we dont need these problems to be cast outwardly for the world to talk about.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
John McCain, a true American hero, who didn't dodge the draft says it the best:

“Today’s press conference in Helsinki was one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory. The damage inflicted by President Trump’s naiveté, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake.

“President Trump proved not only unable, but unwilling to stand up to Putin. He and Putin seemed to be speaking from the same script as the president made a conscious choice to defend a tyrant against the fair questions of a free press, and to grant Putin an uncontested platform to spew propaganda and lies to the world.

“It is tempting to describe the press conference as a pathetic rout – as an illustration of the perils of under-preparation and inexperience. But these were not the errant tweets of a novice politician. These were the deliberate choices of a president who seems determined to realize his delusions of a warm relationship with Putin’s regime without any regard for the true nature of his rule, his violent disregard for the sovereignty of his neighbors, his complicity in the slaughter of the Syrian people, his violation of international treaties, and his assault on democratic institutions throughout the world.

“Coming close on the heels of President Trump’s bombastic and erratic conduct towards our closest friends and allies in Brussels and Britain, today’s press conference marks a recent low point in the history of the American Presidency. That the president was attended in Helsinki by a team of competent and patriotic advisors makes his blunders and capitulations all the more painful and inexplicable.

“No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant. Not only did President Trump fail to speak the truth about an adversary; but speaking for America to the world, our president failed to defend all that makes us who we are—a republic of free people dedicated to the cause of liberty at home and abroad. American presidents must be the champions of that cause if it is to succeed. Americans are waiting and hoping for President Trump to embrace that sacred responsibility. One can only hope they are not waiting totally in vain.”

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

“Today’s press conference in Helsinki was one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory. The damage inflicted by President Trump’s naiveté, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake.

“President Trump proved not only unable, but unwilling to stand up to Putin. He and Putin seemed to be speaking from the same script as the president made a conscious choice to defend a tyrant against the fair questions of a free press, and to grant Putin an uncontested platform to spew propaganda and lies to the world.

“It is tempting to describe the press conference as a pathetic rout – as an illustration of the perils of under-preparation and inexperience. But these were not the errant tweets of a novice politician. These were the deliberate choices of a president who seems determined to realize his delusions of a warm relationship with Putin’s regime without any regard for the true nature of his rule, his violent disregard for the sovereignty of his neighbors, his complicity in the slaughter of the Syrian people, his violation of international treaties, and his assault on democratic institutions throughout the world.

“Coming close on the heels of President Trump’s bombastic and erratic conduct towards our closest friends and allies in Brussels and Britain, today’s press conference marks a recent low point in the history of the American Presidency. That the president was attended in Helsinki by a team of competent and patriotic advisors makes his blunders and capitulations all the more painful and inexplicable.

“No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant. Not only did President Trump fail to speak the truth about an adversary; but speaking for America to the world, our president failed to defend all that makes us who we are—a republic of free people dedicated to the cause of liberty at home and abroad. American presidents must be the champions of that cause if it is to succeed. Americans are waiting and hoping for President Trump to embrace that sacred responsibility. One can only hope they are not waiting totally in vain.”
RINO Neocon John McCain has an unhealthy hate of President Trump. I think it was because President Trump didn't kiss his arse when he became President and take orders from him on Syria and Iran.

Deleted member 2897

John McCain is a grumpy has been. He has a creepy obsession with Trump.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck

Trump followers don't like or respect John McCain anymore.
"He’s not a war hero,” Trump said of McCain. “He’s a war hero because he was captured, I like people that weren’t captured."