Triple Option

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I generally agree with this, but both Army and Air Force are, like Navy, using some shotgun spread plays. I think it is more a matter of Navy not having the personnel needed to make the O work. Both Army and AF have that really good option QB that Navy doesn't. It was the same at Tech, though we had a run of pretty decent country TO QBs in there; Nesbitt, Washington, and Thomas in charge of Navy's O = the same record as Army or better, imho.
Navy had the Johnson curse: great offense, nobody to run it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think we will just play tough man football , show real flashes of being being very good, and a little less looking clueless.
Yes, I can take tough and not clueless even if we lose. I really hate it when GT plays dumb, second in line is being soft. Even when we win it’s hard to watch us be clueless and soft. Those two things are a death knell for a coach and if they don’t turn around, we’re in for a world of hurt. I thought between the Clemp and UNC games we had turned a page, last two games left me wondering again. Saturday’s another day and I remain hopeful it’s the beginning of a long and prosperous GT run.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmm. Yet when Navy has that QB, things can get pretty exciting. See:

Or this:

Kaipo was a very bad young man. Justin Thomas was too.

To this day I maintain that kaipo ran the most beautiful iteration of that offense I've ever seen. One of Johnson's players was his high school coach, so he had had a bajillion reps before he ever got to college. By the time he was an upperclassman, it was like watching one of the Old Masters at work.

Incidentally, he had 1640 career rushing yards and 1641 career passing yards

Last edited:

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
To this day I maintain that kaipo ran the most beautiful iteration of that offense I've ever seen. One of Johnson's players was his high school coach, so he had had a bajillion reps before he ever got to college. By the time he was an upperclassman, it was like watching one of the Old Masters at work.

Greg Hill was pretty Bad A** too. JT was too bad either.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Yes. Kaipo is right top there with Jack Mildren, J. C. Watts, Tracy Ham, and Ricky Dobbs as the TO QB. Justin Thomas was good, but I kept wishing we'd find another Kaipo. After the 2017 Tennessee game, I thought we had him; TaQuoan played one of the best games evah by a TO QB in that one. However, that turned out not to work as well as I had hoped, Ah, well.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Kaipo is right top there with Jack Mildren, J. C. Watts, Tracy Ham, and Ricky Dobbs as the TO QB. Justin Thomas was good, but I kept wishing we'd find another Kaipo. After the 2017 Tennessee game, I thought we had him; TaQuoan played one of the best games evah by a TO QB in that one. However, that turned out not to work as well as I had hoped, Ah, well.
I strongly disagree! I remember the Tennessee game and going "that kid is running a single wing, not a triple option". Like, he ran his tail off, and ran fast and hard and decisively, but I don't recall him reading a single thing

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I strongly disagree! I remember the Tennessee game and going "that kid is running a single wing, not a triple option". Like, he ran his tail off, and ran fast and hard and decisively, but I don't recall him reading a single thing

I thought his read was "They keep snapping it to me. Must mean I'm supposed to carry it."

He was a very talented guy, but either wasn't confident in his ability to distribute the ball, or was convinced he should always be the guy with the ball.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I thought his read was "They keep snapping it to me. Must mean I'm supposed to carry it."

He was a very talented guy, but either wasn't confident in his ability to distribute the ball, or was convinced he should always be the guy with the ball.
If TQM pitches that ball on the 2 pt conversion we win that game and who knows what happens the rest of that year and beyond. We were 6 points away from winning 8 games, and I’m still not convinced that 2017 UCF team would’ve beat us had we played. A flukey catch on Miami’s last drive and a total collapse against Tennessee prevented that team from having 3 ranked wins. I also would’ve like to have not gotten absolutely crushed by a Duke team on a 6 game losing streak coming off a loss to Army, but IIWII

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, it would have been a walk-in if he'd pitched. Very talented runner. Never really ran the offense.
If I remember right, Taquon was never supposed to play QB at all. He was recruited as an AB, but after Jaylend Ratliffe got injured (in HS), and Matthew Jordan got hurt, he was basically all we had left. A lot of people bring up the downward trend at the end of CPJ's time here, but a lot forget 2019 would have been the first year we had a true QB recruit start and 1 or more starting BB returning in the same year since 2016.

A quick rundown:
  • QB Jaylend Ratliffe (class of 2015) was expected to have been the next QB after JT, but was injured in a tragic ATV accident that ended his football career.
  • QB Ty Griffin (class of 2013) transferred out in spring 2014.
  • QB Jay Jones (class of 2016) could have been an option at QB, but transferred after 2017.
  • QB Matthew Jordan (class of 2014) passed on his last year of eligibility after the 2017 season.
  • BB Dedrick Mills (class of 2016) dismissed after 1 year of playing.
  • BB Marcus Marshall (class of 2015) transferred after sharing time with Mills.
  • BB Kirvonte Benson (class of 2015) injured in second game of 2018, never played again.
I think 2017 and 2018 reflected these losses/misses in recruiting, and 2019 would have seen us back on track somewhat with Tobias Oliver at QB, Mason and Howard at BB, Dontae Smith and Omahri Jarrett at AB.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If I remember right, Taquon was never supposed to play QB at all. He was recruited as an AB, but after Jaylend Ratliffe got injured (in HS), and Matthew Jordan got hurt, he was basically all we had left. A lot of people bring up the downward trend at the end of CPJ's time here, but a lot forget 2019 would have been the first year we had a true QB recruit start and 1 or more starting BB returning in the same year since 2016.

A quick rundown:
  • QB Jaylend Ratliffe (class of 2015) was expected to have been the next QB after JT, but was injured in a tragic ATV accident that ended his football career.
  • QB Jay Jones (class of 2016) could have been an option at QB, but transferred after 2017.
  • QB Matthew Jordan (class of 2014) passed on his last year of eligibility after the 2017 season.
  • BB Kirvonte Benson (class of 2015) injured in second game of 2018, never played again.
I think 2017 and 2018 reflected these losses/misses in recruiting, and 2019 would have seen us back on track somewhat with Tobias Oliver at QB, Mason and Howard at BB, Dontae Smith and Omahri Jarrett at AB.

Matthew Jordan passed on his redshirt senior season because he could never get over that foot injury. To say GT was snake-bit at QB after JeT is an understatement. I would have loved to see what CPJ could have done with Jordan Yates. When he committed to GT I thought we were a year or two away from another magical season. Alas, that's all what if now.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Matthew Jordan passed on his redshirt senior season because he could never get over that foot injury. To say GT was snake-bit at QB after JeT is an understatement. I would have loved to see what CPJ could have done with Jordan Yates. When he committed to GT I thought we were a year or two away from another magical season. Alas, that's all what if now.
Yeah, would have been fun to see TO or Yates at QB (or Knight even).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah, would have been fun to see TO or Yates at QB (or Knight even).

IMO, Yates would have been the perfect QB for CPJ's system. Good enough as a runner to keep defenses honest, but also an excellent passer. I feel like he would have been similar to Tevin Washington but with next level running and passing ability. First time CPJ landed a 4* QB and we've seen that he's good enough to play at this level even under our new scheme.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If TQM pitches that ball on the 2 pt conversion we win that game and who knows what happens the rest of that year and beyond. We were 6 points away from winning 8 games, and I’m still not convinced that 2017 UCF team would’ve beat us had we played. A flukey catch on Miami’s last drive and a total collapse against Tennessee prevented that team from having 3 ranked wins. I also would’ve like to have not gotten absolutely crushed by a Duke team on a 6 game losing streak coming off a loss to Army, but IIWII
In regards to your comment "who knows what might have happened"--if PJ had gotten the now Liberty QB , Willis,to come to Tech---- PJ probably would still be here

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

A quick rundown:
Also forgot QB Christian Campbell (class of 2015) who switched to safety after he hurt his hand.