Trenches?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Did not see the game yesterday as I was participating in a Boy Scout activity with my son. Not sure if I have the courage to watch it yet or not. One question I have though is how did we do in the trenches?

In the games we’ve won , we’ve gotten good push with our OL. We’ve also gotten some kind of pressure with just four down linemen on defense. It’s really hard to run our offense, or our defense for that matter, if we get pushed around on the line.

Overall team depth might be an issue here. We can’t sub out like Miami can. Did that play a factor?

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Lack of depth, lack of consistent pass rush, penetration disrupting the mesh, lack of a kicking game, and the weather all contributed. However, our guys fought hard and came close to upsetting a talented 11th ranked Miami team.

I suggest watching it when you get a chance. Whether it gives you hope or despair depends on if you are an optimist or a pessimist.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Have not watched the replay but IMOH we did not get push from our O line in the game. The middle was pretty sealed up the whole game. We had good output on the edge in the first quarter when we scored our 14. AB's were chunking up some yardage and we were all hopeful that we could keep that output going. by the time we got to the 3rd quarter the field was pretty much a swamp and it was raining cats and dogs. CPJ got conservative in his play calling - not much on the edge and when we did our pulling OL would slip and slide. The one play which was a great call where I believe Braun was pulling, had one man to block and TM would have gone for a long way to keep a key 4th qtr drive going, Braun went to set his feet and slipped before he could take his man out. TM was run out of bounds with nothing but clear field in front of him. DL definitely had it's moments - putting pressure on the qb and getting some sacks. Had a few where they missed the tackle in the backfield. Remember one where Freeman I believe just whiffed and he had the qb dead in his sights. Believe that was in the 4th q as well and would have been a big play. So Cheese I would say not so good on the OL push and medium on the DL from these old unsophisticated football eyes.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We played well in the trenches. Branch may have had his best game. Anree needs Freeman snaps. The rush is some much better when he’s in there with Simmons. One of the TDs by Homer it looks like Glanton got displaced out his game

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Did not see the game yesterday as I was participating in a Boy Scout activity with my son. Not sure if I have the courage to watch it yet or not. One question I have though is how did we do in the trenches?

In the games we’ve won , we’ve gotten good push with our OL. We’ve also gotten some kind of pressure with just four down linemen on defense. It’s really hard to run our offense, or our defense for that matter, if we get pushed around on the line.

Overall team depth might be an issue here. We can’t sub out like Miami can. Did that play a factor?

If I may, regardless of the game, thank you for being involved in your son's Boy Scout activities!

They are a large part of what has made America great over the decades.

Well done!

Animal02

Banned
Was Miami able to seal the middle without the middle linebacker? That is key in my opinion. That lets him run free to the edge.
Their field was in terrible shape too, even before the rain...
Drainage on that field was a disgrace. No way a professional field should have ponding water on it at ANY time... no excuse for that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How bout OL?
IMO this was not a good game for the OL we look better the first 4 games . Don't know if it was the field. Middle was not there and why we went with quick pitches to the outside . LB's played to stop the B-back in the middle. Pass blocking also was not good again not sure it wasn't the field and hate to say it maybe we had the wrong cleats again.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

... enjoy most of teh 1st half...

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Drainage on that field was a disgrace. No way a professional field should have ponding water on it at ANY time... no excuse for that.
Were you at the game? During pregame warm ups, we were slipping all over, taking chunks with every cut.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My take, fwiw:

Our DL played pretty well when asked to play aggressively. It seemed to me that at the end of the first half and the end of the game we went back to more gap-control rather than attack.

Our OL played pretty well the first half. Rod Gilmore was an idiot for talking about the lack of rushing yards from Taquon. Their D took that away, but our OL was able to seal off the LB's, and our A-Backs made yards on the perimeter.

During the second half, whether it was footing problems because of the rain, fatigue from having our OL playing more snaps against a more refreshed DL, or a change in what the D was doing, our OL were less successful in getting our blocks.

I have no idea what people are talking about when they say that CPJ became more conservative. It seemed to me that we were running the same plays that worked in the first half with less success (see last paragraph).

Also, we need to keep in mind that we were relying on Quaide because of Benson's injury. While I appreciate those who would've preferred Jerry, and I'm sympathetic to that view, at a certain point you have to trust the coaches that see them every day in practice to decide who gives us the best chance to win. If we had played Jerry, and he had fumbled in the rain, I'm sure that the same people would've been complaining about how obviously wrong it is to play a fumble-prone running back during a driving rain.

That being said, we had well-designed plays with bad luck--Qua slipping down when wide open, dropped/broken-up pass to Brad Stewart. We dropped the ball on both O and D in the second half. I think those complaining about Roof are reacting to seeming getting beat by alignment for several plays rather than just getting out-played. If it weren't for the illegal block below the waist, they would have had their FG without the big 4th and 10 catch.

Everybody who has concern that our team just doesn't have the "killer" instinct or the "refuse to lose" mentality echos my thoughts after the Tennessee game. This game reflected my fears of what we were in store for after that game.

That being said, I'm hopeful that this game prompts another turn around like we saw last year.

Go Jackets.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I watched the post game pressers. Man, were those dudes dejected, even coach. I've never seen it that bad. TM said the Miami D did nothing different in the second half. If that is the case, then we just got out-played, it happens. It's not always bad coaching. On that note, if you ask the players who to blame, my guess to man they'd point the finger straight back at themselves and not the coaching staff. And I'm talking behind closed doors, not to the press. That is the kind of character we have in this team and why I root so hard for them to win.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

This does not happen that often but we got whipped up front on offense. On defense, they moved the ball pretty well but struggled as Miami is wont to do in the red zone. The best part of Miami's team is great team speed on defense and very good receivers. We have played them in prior years when they were better on both offense and defense.