Travin Henry

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Well he hasn't made the move yet and that would be impossible to predict until we see him at that spot...would all depend on how natural he is at that position and how quick he would pick up on things.

He would prefer to play D.

WOW-I also thought he looked so good on tape that he might be a natural at WR-I guess there was a reason that he was a "sleeper"/longshot to many schools..

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am cool with this. From his film and his bio, I was sure he would be patrolling the perimeter blocking safeties and CBs into oblivion, along with the occasional catch too. Hey man, if he can get after the passer or cover in space from the OLB, then I say bring it on. Good for you 26!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Given who we have returning and who's waiting in the wings at WR, I actually like the move. Guys who can put pressure on the passer and can disrupt plays behind the LOS are premium players. The biggest question is how long it will take Travin to adjust to the new position, but he certainly has the frame and speed to do it. Hopefully he finds a home at DE/OLB and isn't a nomad trying to find a position the next few years.

On another note, it looks like they envision Travin taking Attachou's flex OLB/DE spot. Space players who can help the defensive alignment become flexible are important in modern football with so many offenses trying to stretch the defenses. I really like what Roof is doing concept-wise with the defense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given who we have returning and who's waiting in the wings at WR, I actually like the move. Guys who can put pressure on the passer and can disrupt plays behind the LOS are premium players. The biggest question is how long it will take Travin to adjust to the new position, but he certainly has the frame and speed to do it. Hopefully he finds a home at DE/OLB and isn't a nomad trying to find a position the next few years.

On another note, it looks like they envision Travin taking Attachou's flex OLB/DE spot. Space players who can help the defensive alignment become flexible are important in modern football with so many offenses trying to stretch the defenses. I really like what Roof is doing concept-wise with the defense.
Average WR speed becomes elite speed at the DE position, so long as he can handle the physical nature of the position.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've been hoping for Waller to make this move so I'm curious to see how Henry does.

He and Marcus Allen have been guys I've been most curious about.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've been hoping for Waller to make this move so I'm curious to see how Henry does.

He and Marcus Allen have been guys I've been most curious about.
I really don't think Waller has a chance to do that at all. He gets tossed around like a rag doll when we bunch the formation with an unbalanced line and he is going against DEs. Those arms of his are pretty darned skinny. There isn't nearly the upper body strength required.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think Waller has a chance to do that at all. He gets tossed around like a rag doll when we bunch the formation with an unbalanced line and he is going against DEs. Those arms of his are pretty darned skinny. There isn't nearly the upper body strength required.

He played safety in high school. I've hear him say he missed playing defense.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
If he becomes a star at his new position, and I think that he can turn himself into a Vic Beasley/Bruce Irvin type of player, it would be pretty cool to have a DE with the number 26!

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
Seems like he still has work to do to gain some more mass. I think Attaochu was our smallest DE on the depth chart this past season listed at 242. Henry is listed at 210, but I saw another poster stated that he is now up to 230+. I hope that is right and he can add another 10+ lbs in the offseason...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seems like he still has work to do to gain some more mass. I think Attaochu was our smallest DE on the depth chart this past season listed at 242. Henry is listed at 210, but I saw another poster stated that he is now up to 230+. I hope that is right and he can add another 10+ lbs in the offseason...

The ideal situation for Travin during the transition year is to use his speed off the edge during obvious passing downs. I'll go ahead and say no on on the DL has his speed, and that in itself will help him see the field in 2014. I don't think adding 10-15 lbs to his frame with do anything to his speed and quickness given he's 6'3.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The ideal situation for Travin during the transition year is to use his speed off the edge during obvious passing downs. I'll go ahead and say no on on the DL has his speed, and that in itself will help him see the field in 2014. I don't think adding 10-15 lbs to his frame with do anything to his speed and quickness given he's 6'3.

With his speed would he be a better replacement for Watts at LB?

Em_Jae20 would we still be cool having a #26 at LB? ;)

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The DE position is a very tough position to play physically. I hope to see more rotation on the DL this year, so our team is not gassed in the 4th quarter. I think Travin can be a good pass rusher, but I am not sure he can be an every down kind of DE. I think he will need some help on the interior to make a substantial impact. This year we should have good size at the tackle positions, which is where a pass rush really starts IMO. If the tackles force an inside double team, then both DEs will have a monster year. A good consistent pass rush from our front 4 (as a unit) would dramatically improve our ability to get teams off the field on 3rd down.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I love the speed that Travin can bring to the DE spot but at 230lbs I would think he is going to be a rush end on long yardage situations. And play a little OLB as well. Now if he can add on another 20lbs + and go over the 250 mark then imo he would be less likely to get pushed around in the trenches.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With his speed would he be a better replacement for Watts at LB?

Em_Jae20 would we still be cool having a #26 at LB? ;)

I don't see why Travin can't be a DE flexed to OLB given the situation. Basically a hybrid DE/OLB which was what Attachou was playing. I think Travin is faster and more athletic than Attachou, though not as nuanced on the defensive side of the ball. Pelton and Roof will have to coach him up!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't see why Travin can't be a DE flexed to OLB given the situation. Basically a hybrid DE/OLB which was what Attachou was playing. I think Travin is faster and more athletic than Attachou, though not as nuanced on the defensive side of the ball. Pelton and Roof will have to coach him up!
I would say faster than Attaochu is probably true. It is hard for me to imagine a guy who was more athletic though. JA was pretty darned agile. In any case, from his HS film, it looked to me like TH could jump a little. Here is hoping.