Travel Ball

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Tech needs to quit recruiting East Cobb Baseball. They insist on the kids playing year round. It's a job for them. You have to wonder if they really care for the kids. Over the last couple of years, people have come forward and stated that year round baseball is bad for them. Too many competitive throws. (No matter the position)
Kids leave there worn down. The adults only care about how much money they can make. Sad!

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I played six years of East Cobb. There's a lot to say about it, but one thing I know to be true is that the Yankees (who were originally not an EC team) are treated well -- e.g. if they want to sit and just take BP, Beavers won't pressure them. Same can't be said for the lower levels.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Its not just East Cobb and I don't even think at this point it is the organizations perpetuating the "year round" race (although they may have started the ball rolling). 12u to 18u baseball is an arms race (no pun intended). The majority of kids playing think they are going to play at the next level (i.e., college). The majority feel like they MUST play year 'round to avoid letting others get ahead of them and continue to improve their skills. It is a rarity to find a kid (or his parents) who either (a) understand that there is more to life than playing baseball in college or (b) are confident enough in their talent (or their kids talent) that they realize and make the choice not to play year round.

Everyone (with maybe the exception of multi-sport athletes) do it and without some major shift, we aren't going back.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, the arms race part of it is pretty weird. I had three days off between spring and summer of my 16 year old year, and my parents picked me up from football practice (in pads) and drove me to EC games. I wasn't that physically gifted, so the training paid off (free college, admitted to ivies as an athlete) but it's pretty damaging psychologically.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
East Cobb Yankees is East Cobb in name only. They rarely will have pitchers play a position and pitchers will pitch every 5 days or so. Pitchers are required to be a part of the team and will be at every game and every practice. Just showing up for your innings is frowned upon and you won't last with the Yankees if you do that. It is a separate program and there is no love lost between the Yankees and East Cobb the organization. The player has to pay the East Cobb registration fee but that is it, the Yankees are their own organization. The Yankee players are well taken care of with position coaching, practice time, optional practice and when they travel. The team is designed to allow for maximum playing time with the minimum of stress by recruiting players for specific positions and not having too many that play one position so someone doesn't get too much and the flip side - not enough. In order to play for the Yankees, you have to be asked, it's not a team you try out for or sign up for.

With that said to the comment above that Georgia Tech "requires" players to play year round, that is farther from the truth. There is no requirement and there is no preferred team that they want you to or "suggest" that you play with. If you play with the Yankees, that's great but if you choose not to, that's no problem. The benefit of playing with the Yankees is that as an incoming Freshman, you have the opportunity to play with a large group and it gives you a leg up on relationships and team which we all know is important.

The great thing about the Yankees is that once a Yankee, always a Yankee.

As someone that has a kid still in it, the best thing you can do for your child, be honest and ensure they play other sports too. Perfect Game has given new life to this situation we are discussing. Holding a showcase in January when kids should be just getting back into their throwing program is detrimental to the health of a kid. By highlighting how fast someone throws as the end all be all further perpetuates the myth that the kid can play baseball at the next level. A college coach and an MLB scout will tell you that they want your child to play other sports. They are looking for athletes in all positions. Pitching may be the one exception but you will find that being an athlete provides better opportunities for you.

You do realize that the day of blogs and some critiques of the players at the mass tournaments are submitted by college players that may be injured or seniors that aren't going to play at the next level or guys that have an internship with PG especially at the far out high school fields. So when they say some great things about a guy the person submitting the report may not be the best person to provide that critique. Parents take those little nuggets of praise and run with it, posting on Facebook about it and letting those comments help them justify the price of the $300 bat as they leave the park. Yes, there are real scouts with Perfect Game but you won't see those until you get to the Emerson complex or you are playing in some of the final games in Jupiter or Ft Myers. The exception there is if you have a player that has real talent and has been scouted across the board with high school and MLB, you will see the name scouts with Perfect Game filing reports on their games. But understand that Perfect Game will place those teams at the Emerson complex/high visibility fields and not at those far out high schools. The positives of PG is that some guys that may not have got a look can get one.

Parents see their child's interest in sports and the fact that they pitched a no-hitter to a far inferior team as the sole indicator that they are ready for D1. Even those that are ready for D1 may not make it at the next level. It is a coming together of skill, practice, luck and a strong mental fortitude that pushes someone to the next level. It's not a lifestyle for everyone, you don't get to hang with your friends, you may choose not to have a girlfriend or if you do, you choose wisely, spring break - what's that? College baseball is not easy. The schedules these guys have are ridiculous. For a Friday game, they will get to the field 2-3 hours in advance, games are sometimes 3 hours/3 1/2 hours, you do your field responsibilities and then if you are home, you have to work out after the game so a 6+ day at the park not just on Saturday once a week but 3-4 times a week. Then, oh by the way, you have to do homework, meet with a tutor, mandatory study time. Meet an advisor because that's the only time they have. This goes on at least 3 but generally 4 times a week. Baseball is a skill sport, maybe you need/want to put in extra time working on your oppo hitting or you're in a slump.

There are some guys that will never pick up a bat or ball after they leave college till they have kids but can still contribute to a team. You, the coach just hope that you have picked the right dynamics, personalities, and talent that will come together to win and have that fairytale that everyone hopes for.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
East Cobb Yankees is East Cobb in name only. They rarely will have pitchers play a position and pitchers will pitch every 5 days or so. Pitchers are required to be a part of the team and will be at every game and every practice. Just showing up for your innings is frowned upon and you won't last with the Yankees if you do that. It is a separate program and there is no love lost between the Yankees and East Cobb the organization. The player has to pay the East Cobb registration fee but that is it, the Yankees are their own organization. The Yankee players are well taken care of with position coaching, practice time, optional practice and when they travel. The team is designed to allow for maximum playing time with the minimum of stress by recruiting players for specific positions and not having too many that play one position so someone doesn't get too much and the flip side - not enough. In order to play for the Yankees, you have to be asked, it's not a team you try out for or sign up for.

With that said to the comment above that Georgia Tech "requires" players to play year round, that is farther from the truth. There is no requirement and there is no preferred team that they want you to or "suggest" that you play with. If you play with the Yankees, that's great but if you choose not to, that's no problem. The benefit of playing with the Yankees is that as an incoming Freshman, you have the opportunity to play with a large group and it gives you a leg up on relationships and team which we all know is important.

The great thing about the Yankees is that once a Yankee, always a Yankee.

As someone that has a kid still in it, the best thing you can do for your child, be honest and ensure they play other sports too. Perfect Game has given new life to this situation we are discussing. Holding a showcase in January when kids should be just getting back into their throwing program is detrimental to the health of a kid. By highlighting how fast someone throws as the end all be all further perpetuates the myth that the kid can play baseball at the next level. A college coach and an MLB scout will tell you that they want your child to play other sports. They are looking for athletes in all positions. Pitching may be the one exception but you will find that being an athlete provides better opportunities for you.

You do realize that the day of blogs and some critiques of the players at the mass tournaments are submitted by college players that may be injured or seniors that aren't going to play at the next level or guys that have an internship with PG especially at the far out high school fields. So when they say some great things about a guy the person submitting the report may not be the best person to provide that critique. Parents take those little nuggets of praise and run with it, posting on Facebook about it and letting those comments help them justify the price of the $300 bat as they leave the park. Yes, there are real scouts with Perfect Game but you won't see those until you get to the Emerson complex or you are playing in some of the final games in Jupiter or Ft Myers. The exception there is if you have a player that has real talent and has been scouted across the board with high school and MLB, you will see the name scouts with Perfect Game filing reports on their games. But understand that Perfect Game will place those teams at the Emerson complex/high visibility fields and not at those far out high schools. The positives of PG is that some guys that may not have got a look can get one.

Parents see their child's interest in sports and the fact that they pitched a no-hitter to a far inferior team as the sole indicator that they are ready for D1. Even those that are ready for D1 may not make it at the next level. It is a coming together of skill, practice, luck and a strong mental fortitude that pushes someone to the next level. It's not a lifestyle for everyone, you don't get to hang with your friends, you may choose not to have a girlfriend or if you do, you choose wisely, spring break - what's that? College baseball is not easy. The schedules these guys have are ridiculous. For a Friday game, they will get to the field 2-3 hours in advance, games are sometimes 3 hours/3 1/2 hours, you do your field responsibilities and then if you are home, you have to work out after the game so a 6+ day at the park not just on Saturday once a week but 3-4 times a week. Then, oh by the way, you have to do homework, meet with a tutor, mandatory study time. Meet an advisor because that's the only time they have. This goes on at least 3 but generally 4 times a week. Baseball is a skill sport, maybe you need/want to put in extra time working on your oppo hitting or you're in a slump.

There are some guys that will never pick up a bat or ball after they leave college till they have kids but can still contribute to a team. You, the coach just hope that you have picked the right dynamics, personalities, and talent that will come together to win and have that fairytale that everyone hopes for.

Thanks. Any insight as to why GT seems to have a lot of injured pitchers? Or is this typical?

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
The one thing to know about pitchers is that some injuries don't necessarily occur in the year for the year but are an issue that has developed over time and pretty much it just hit the fan the year they played college baseball. Look at the Clemson pitcher Higginbotham, he played for Buford and the school used him excessively - I had heard that he racked up 160 pitch games in his time at Buford. Gets to college and having a standout freshman spring and what happens...he has TJ surgery. From what I see he's not back yet, maybe throwing but he has no game stats for 2017. You can't attribute that to anything he did at Clemson, maybe you can but I would put money on the fact that it was overuse over time.

An injury is personal...bad genes, overuse, fluke...it happens.

I think it's more the question with pitchers of letting them find what works and not using a cookie cutter format, perhaps something that we the public perceive is an injury is just putting all the pieces together and that's why they are not in. I know we realize that just because you can pitch in college doesn't mean that you can pitch on the next level. Some of the toughest pitching to hit for a good batter in college is slower and finessed pitching. College and Pro goals are very different.

I really can't speak to any injury at Tech but some of the situations that I am aware of there are hereditary as well as flukes. From what I can see right now, there isn't any injured pitchers except for English (out for the year), Parr seems to be due to his absence but haven't seen an announcement. Thomas, the freshman, from what I have heard here on these forums is academics. Hughes' last year was hereditary that caused an issue but the type of "injury" he had, many don't realize it and are in the big leagues right now with it.