Transfer Rules Possibly Changing

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

I see this as having a bigger impact on basketball than football just because of how many kids already transfer in the sport. I'm for this in situations like the coach getting fired or whatever and a player would be stuck playing in a system they weren't recruited for. However, I'm skeptical on if this will turn into something like bigger schools recruiting star players off smaller school rosters. You could also see mid tier schools trying to persuade big name school bench players to transfer for more playing time.

What do y'all think?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'd probably lose most of my interest in college basketball if this was the case. Too many mercenary players already with the grad transfers.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
I think transfers should be allowed to move on without penalty. Students with unique performance skills in areas outside sports transfer to other colleges for many reasons without penalty. The finite athletic student population is the one of the few that has restrictions on using talent that brings merit based scholarships from finding a school that's a better fit for them. We always think of the few stars on a team we don't want to see leave, but about 90% on every sports team aren't in that group and should be able to go elsewhere if they wish without sitting on the sidelines the next year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've been of this opinion for a long time now.

School offers 1-yr scholarship, student has right to transfer and play immediately.
School offers 4-yr/5-yr scholarship, student has to sit a year if transferring.

That takes care of processing players and damaging their ability to play. These kids should be going to school to get an education as well as exposure in their sport. Continuity is important off the field as much as it is on the field.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I've been of this opinion for a long time now.

School offers 1-yr scholarship, student has right to transfer and play immediately.
School offers 4-yr/5-yr scholarship, student has to sit a year if transferring.

That takes care of processing players and damaging their ability to play. These kids should be going to school to get an education as well as exposure in their sport. Continuity is important off the field as much as it is on the field.
They ought to change it to where you have to play three college basketball seasons before leaving for the NBA. I'm all for that even though it means more players will go to the NBA out of high school.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Stop crying. Why do we always look at the bad side of things like this. Think of Anthony Allen or JJ Green, and how many more of those guys we could bring in. If you are worried about a player leaving Tech you are getting worked up for no reason.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They ought to change it to where you have to play three college basketball seasons before leaving for the NBA. I'm all for that even though it means more players will go to the NBA out of high school.

How do you require them to play at least three years? The NBA could set a three year out of school rule, but they are actually looking at putting players fresh out of high school in their developmental league. There is no possible method for the NCAA to have a rule that says a player can't stop going to college and get a job. Even if that were possible, I would be absolutely against anything that takes career opportunities away from college aged kids for sports entertainment.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
How do you require them to play at least three years? The NBA could set a three year out of school rule, but they are actually looking at putting players fresh out of high school in their developmental league. There is no possible method for the NCAA to have a rule that says a player can't stop going to college and get a job. Even if that were possible, I would be absolutely against anything that takes career opportunities away from college aged kids for sports entertainment.
We just have to disagree on that;)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We just have to disagree on that;)

I don't mind disagreeing, but I don't understand how a school or an athletic department can legally tell anyone that they cannot leave school and get a job. If you have any ideas on how that would be possible, I'm all ears.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't mind disagreeing, but I don't understand how a school or an athletic department can legally tell anyone that they cannot leave school and get a job. If you have any ideas on how that would be possible, I'm all ears.

Such as in the NFL the restriction would have to come from the NBA not from the NCAA

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Such as in the NFL the restriction would have to come from the NBA not from the NCAA

I do agree with that. My earlier post said that it appears that the NBA is going in the opposite direction to allow high school players in it's development league. What I was saying is that if the NBA allows HS players and any year college player to enter the draft, there is nothing that the NCAA can or should do to prevent players from going there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Stop crying. Why do we always look at the bad side of things like this. Think of Anthony Allen or JJ Green, and how many more of those guys we could bring in. If you are worried about a player leaving Tech you are getting worked up for no reason.
I'm not crying. I am not even necessarily concerned for GT in this scenario....but the unintended consequences of such a change may really change college sports. That's my concern, and it may not be for the better.....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see the NCAA give kids a one time "free" transfer, BUT if you transfer within the same conference, you have to sit out against the team you transferred from for at least 2 seasons. The second transfer will cost you a year.

Some think that big factories will try to poach players from smaller schools, but I think it also helps the smaller schools with players from bigger schools who are stuck on loaded depth chart, or who realized that the school they signed with was a mistake. It also addresses the whole coaching leaving a school after you signed, or schools getting put on probation situations.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I do agree with that. My earlier post said that it appears that the NBA is going in the opposite direction to allow high school players in it's development league. What I was saying is that if the NBA allows HS players and any year college player to enter the draft, there is nothing that the NCAA can or should do to prevent players from going there.

Agreed

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Saban already does this only the replacements are usually 5* freshmen. He gets his mistakes to transfer.