Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I mean.. what happened to the internet breaker? It is Wynn?

100% crystal ball for our side.

2021​

Contributed in a rotational role along the defensive front ... saw time in seven games ... recorded five tackles with one quarterback hurry. Miami: Recorded two tackles against the Hurricanes. Mercer: Finished with two stops up front in the Tide’s home opener. Southern Miss: Saw time against the Golden Eagles. Ole Miss: Entered off the bench for extended minutes against the Rebels. Mississippi State: Recorded one tackle along the defensive front. New Mexico State: Entered as a blocker on PAT tries for the first time in his career ... also added one quarterback hurry along the defensive front. Arkansas: Contributed significant minutes to the defensive line rotation against the Hogs.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

2021​

Contributed in a rotational role along the defensive front ... saw time in seven games ... recorded five tackles with one quarterback hurry. Miami: Recorded two tackles against the Hurricanes. Mercer: Finished with two stops up front in the Tide’s home opener. Southern Miss: Saw time against the Golden Eagles. Ole Miss: Entered off the bench for extended minutes against the Rebels. Mississippi State: Recorded one tackle along the defensive front. New Mexico State: Entered as a blocker on PAT tries for the first time in his career ... also added one quarterback hurry along the defensive front. Arkansas: Contributed significant minutes to the defensive line rotation against the Hogs.
2 years of eligibility left due to a redshirt year and the free covid year?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

2021​

Why wait? He's been back from Nebraska for awhile.

kalld12

Banned
A few thoughts:
  1. The kid was a special teams ace last year. Guess how bad we were at punt return coverage last year? 104th in the nation. I'll take a guy like that who can help us on special teams. I think that's worth a scholarship. According to his UMD bio and an article I read on the UMD website talking about post-season awards he was named the Terps special teams player of the year.
  2. We had three interceptions all of last year. Two of them were by Charlie Thomas. Know how many teams were worse than us in the INT category? Three. But one of them had about the same average INTs per game. So really only 2. I'm not turning away guys our coaches think might be able to help us get better. And while we CAN get worse in the defensive backfield (I never challenge "worse"), relatively speaking to the rest of FBS we can only go 2 spots lower. But to be honest I kind of feel like the kid is coming in to help us mostly with special teams, though I could be wrong.
  3. How many of those 1 INTs by DBs were actually by CBs? Easy to guess this one... none. Juanyeh had the only INT by a DB last year.
  4. How many of our returning corners had as many or more pass breakups last year as Kenny Bennett, the kid from Maryland? FYI he had 3 pass breakups last year. Don't bother looking it up, I'll tell you. Only Myles Sims who had 4. The rest of our returning CBs, combined, had 1 pass breakup.
My point is not that Kenny Bennett is going to light the world on fire. I'm not even suggesting he's going to be a huge improvement or that we should expect great things from him. He may only provide depth and potentially a BADLY NEEDED boost in the special teams coverage units. But if you think guys like this can't help us then you really aren't paying attention to how bad we were in the defensive backfield and special teams last year. Believe me when I say there's no blind faith in me for our coaches at this point. I'm looking at what he did for the Terps and, as I said, on special teams we can really use the help of a player like him.

And yes, I recognize that I'm grasping at straws ;)
Great post. Spot freaking on!

kalld12

Banned

2021​

but but but......we cant attract players who have started from other schools. Well news flash folks, this guy is a whole behemoth of a man who played at Alabama. Take that trash argument and throw out the window. I'll wait for all the posters to admit their wrong. You know who you are.

This would be a huge get if its true! Fingers crossed

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
but but but......we cant attract players who have started from other schools. Well news flash folks, this guy is a whole behemoth of a man who played at Alabama. Take that trash argument and throw out the window. I'll wait for all the posters to admit their wrong. You know who you are.

I don't think he was a starter, but I'll take basically most anybody off their roster.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There have been a handful of posts in the last page or two that have gotten a bit personal between some of you. Keep the personailty conflicts to PM's please. The rest of us aren't interested in the "who shot who" debates. Thanks in advance for your compliance.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I can't recall any coach having 12 wins in 4 years being retained.
I’d say Bill Curry but he only notched 11 wins. You could actually say he had 11.5 wins because he also had a tie.

To be fair, Curry did have a winning season in those 4 years. 3-3-3-3 would be quite a feat.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Eh. Dude has 6 tackles in the last two years. Slow your roll.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

I don't even know how to handle this post. On the one hand, I absolutely agree we can and should get those guys that were starters at other schools. But then you go calling out other posters and chest thumping about a guy who in fact didn't start, and while we expect him to, has not even commited to Tech yet.

db1.jpg

kalld12

Banned
I don't even know how to handle this post. On the one hand, I absolutely agree we can and should get those guys that were starters at other schools. But then you go calling out other posters and chest thumping about a guy who in fact didn't start, and while we expect him to, has not even commited to Tech yet.

db1.jpg
NM so i dont get a message from a moderator

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I go back and forth myself, I admit. I think if the OL can put it together we could be dangerous, but I also think that's a big if.
Worry about the OL is well founded,A key part was losing our SR Center and now starting a soph that has little exp.The OL was a struggle in the Spring.(even snaps) Unless something HUGE changes next season will a be the same.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Worry about the OL is well founded,A key part was losing our SR Center and now starting a soph that has little exp.The OL was a struggle in the Spring.(even snaps) Unless something HUGE changes next season will a be the same.
yep, just like in 2019 when we couldn't seem to snap the ball to Graham with any sort of consistency which will kill a lot of drives by itself.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I will be happy if we get him as we need all the help we can get on the DL, I don't see Wynn as a difference maker. I think he has the potential to be a rotational player at GT.

In 4 seasons he did not start a single game at AL. Also, of the 21 games he played in only 8 came against SEC opponents and then 2 more came against Duke and Miami. The other 11 appearances came against FCS and G5 teams. Never had more than 2 tackles in a game against anyone in his career. He is not someone I believe was a significant contributor at AL, he was more of a deep reserve type imo. I think Joseph would have made a larger impact on our DL.

Still, crossing fingers he comes here.