Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
The ONLY situation that I see for transfers to here is by guys that are (1) a 4/5th yr player that wants a Tech degree and/or (2) are from Atl area and want to come back and maybe (3) may be losing p/t to some young hotshots. . We really have little to sell right now. Its SAD.
not a unique problem to tech. with nil money getting more crazy we are in a very tough arms race. need some alumni to put some money up and make the nil’s competitive

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That’s a fine gif. I thought you were looking for this one

John Cena Slime GIF by Kids' Choice Awards' Choice Awards

I mean, if that's your idea of hot n' sticky then so be it. No judgment comin', bro.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Should we just throw the towel in? Our program is in a coma. Either we wake back up or we pull the plug. College football is just ridiculous right now.

But at the same time, dude, like, you know, F(orget) USC.

JacketFan137

Banned
Should we just throw the towel in? Our program is in a coma. Either we wake back up or we pull the plug. College football is just ridiculous right now.

But at the same time, dude, like, you know, F(orget) USC.
at least in the acc currently the only schools that seem committed to spend a crazy amount of money are clemson, miami and fsu. clemson is obviously a thorn in our side and last year was the first competitive game since 2014 but maybe with venables leaving they will regress and settle back down to earth.

fsu and miami have proven time and time again to be incredibly inefficient with their money and never quite see results that match their spending. maybe we see a good team soon but if i had a dollar for every time miami was “back” or “the team to beat in the acc” i could buy myself a few beers from one of our local salesman on the bridge by the varsity.

competitive in the acc should always be the expectations. competitive at the level of uga, bama, ohio state etc is probably a pipe dream

slugboy

Staff member
92.9 the game had an ex-ESPN reporter on who now works for the Action network. (yeah, I know, why listen to them, but I was in my car. I still question why I listened). The common wisdom is that the transfer portal has taken priority over high school recruiting, even at Alabama.
Possibly, there might be a recording later.

I posted some numbers earlier, but it looks like we came out slightly ahead in the portal so far. You would expect us to have a lot of room to improve in the portal. In terms of “win shares”, as a 3-9 team we should have room to move to average. Decent players transferring from even average teams should be enough to raise expectations.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
92.9 the game had an ex-ESPN reporter on who now works for the Action network. (yeah, I know, why listen to them, but I was in my car. I still question why I listened). The common wisdom is that the transfer portal has taken priority over high school recruiting, even at Alabama.

I posted some numbers earlier, but it looks like we came out slightly ahead in the portal so far. You would expect us to have a lot of room to improve in the portal. In terms of “win shares”, as a 3-9 team we should have room to move to average. Decent players transferring from even average teams should be enough to raise expectations.
I can see that. The portal provides stronger, more experienced players, you can be more sure of what you are getting because you've potentially seen them compete on a college field, and once they transfer they are more locked in to riding out their remaining college years with you.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I agree with all of this... well except listening to 92.9. Obviously we need contributors NOW, so outside of a handful of incoming frosh, the portal is probably a better way to get there quick. I would imagine we favor physical attributes of guys who have been in college strength and conditioning programs over frosh talent / upside right now. Maybe that’s the new normal, maybe that’s just the right now, but there is really no reason we shouldn’t be all over portal guys right now.

JacketFan137

Banned
I agree with all of this... well except listening to 92.9. Obviously we need contributors NOW, so outside of a handful of incoming frosh, the portal is probably a better way to get there quick. I would imagine we favor physical attributes of guys who have been in college strength and conditioning programs over frosh talent / upside right now. Maybe that’s the new normal, maybe that’s just the right now, but there is really no reason we shouldn’t be all over portal guys right now.
deion sanders recently said they only took 5 players from hs teams and instead focused on the portal. he basically said all the same things. you don’t know how a freshman will handle college life/college football. you get a guy who transferred even if he doesn’t play you can see if he was able to handle college football responsibilities like did he get suspended, was he academically ineligible, etc. eliminates a lot of the unknowns you get with a kid who was going to prom 5 months before the season starts

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Not sure I agree on Bama. They have only brought in 5 transfers while losing 20. They are mostly replacing the guys who transferred out with new high school recruits. The portal really just gives them an easier way to process underperformers (by their standards), allowing them to bring in bigger high school classes and a few super high quality transfers.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
deion sanders recently said they only took 5 players from hs teams and instead focused on the portal. he basically said all the same things. you don’t know how a freshman will handle college life/college football. you get a guy who transferred even if he doesn’t play you can see if he was able to handle college football responsibilities like did he get suspended, was he academically ineligible, etc. eliminates a lot of the unknowns you get with a kid who was going to prom 5 months before the season starts
I bet Deion said it cooler than I did. Just a hunch.
:cool:

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I can see that. The portal provides stronger, more experienced players, you can be more sure of what you are getting because you've potentially seen them compete on a college field, and once they transfer they are more locked in to riding out their remaining college years with you.
A lot of posters are saying: what college competition are you talking about, and they have a point on a lot of em, not all, but a lot.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is there a guy from Ky saying he's coming here?
R. J. Adams, OG:

"Adams, an offensive lineman out of Woodbridge (VA), is a former 3-star recruit from the class of 2020 who was originally committed to Penn State before flipping to Kentucky. He ultimately signed with the Cats over a final eight of Penn State, Miami, LSU, Alabama, NC State, Tennessee, and Florida State."

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn’t those normally be the same guy? What am I missing?
Bear Bryant was notorious for taking the lesser talented guy when he had the choice because Bear thought the lesser player had more heart, desire, attitude etc. He would test them all within the first year or so I've been told by former players of his.